Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Pray for Nabeel

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:15 pm
Christian Apologist Nabeel Qureshi Diagnosed With Advanced Stomach Cancer, Says His Prognosis Is 'Grim'

BY SAMUEL SMITH , CP REPORTER
August 31, 2016|11:55 am

Christian apologist and best-selling author Nabeel Qureshi announced Tuesday evening that he has been diagnosed with advanced stomach cancer and will be stepping out from his traveling ministry work and cancelling scheduled speaking engagements.

Qureshi, a Christian convert from Islam whose new book, No God But One: Allah or Jesus? was released Tuesday, took to his Facebook page to inform his fans and followers of the troubling news of his illness, saying that the prognosis is "quite grim."

"This is an announcement that I never expected to make, but God in His infinite and sovereign wisdom has chosen me for this refining, and I pray He will be glorified through my body and my spirit," Qureshi wrote. "My family and I have received the news that I have advanced stomach cancer, and the clinical prognosis is quite grim. Nonetheless, we are going to pursue healing aggressively, both medical and miraculous, relying on God and the fact that He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine."

A Zondervan publicity manager told The Christian Post on Wednesday that Qureshi received his cancer diagnosis last week around the time he was celebrating his 11th anniversary of his conversion from Islam to Christianity.

Read more at: Link  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:58 pm
The article ended on somewhat of an awkward note, almost as if to say, "be careful what you ask God for" without actually saying it. emotion_sweatdrop

Quote:
In June, Qureshi told tens of thousands gathered on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. that after he converted to Christianity over 11 years ago, he asked God to kill him because most of his Muslim family and friends had abandoned their relationships with him after his conversion.

End article. confused

---

That said, some of Nabeel's statements, like many an apologist's sadly, are an indirect attack on the God described in the Bible. So, I wouldn't be surprised if this is judgment from God Himself for Nabeel lying and misleading the sheep who don't know any better. If this is judgment from God, then may He give Nabeel discernment so Nabeel can repent and live.

• James 5:16 (NIV)

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

• 2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

The smoking gun: Nabeel is condemning things about the Quran that, by condemning them, he insinuates no Godly equivalent can be found in the Scriptures. What's worse: it's God Himself doing the very thing that Nabeel is condemning... emotion_sweatdrop So Nabeel is attacking God's very nature.

In the following, when commenting on the so-called “prophet” Muhammad:

Quote:
[…] He allows for wife beating. Of course, the Quran allows for wife beating."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/christian-convert-nabeel-qureshi-says-there-is-no-basis-to-claim-muhammad-is-a-prophet-168579/

Who is God's “wife”, figuratively-speaking?

Israel (the set-apart body of believers)

• Isaiah 54:5 (NIV)

5 For your Maker is your husband—
            the Lord Almighty is his name—
        the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer;
            he is called the God of all the earth.

• Jeremiah 31:31-33New International Version (NIV)

31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
            “when I will make a new covenant
        with the people of Israel
            and with the people of Judah.

32 It will not be like the covenant
            I made with their ancestors
        when I took them by the hand
            to lead them out of Egypt,
        because they broke my covenant,
            though I was a husband to[a] them,[b]”
                declares the Lord.
        33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
            after that time,” declares the Lord.
        “I will put my law in their minds
            and write it on their hearts.
        I will be their God,
            and they will be my people.

Footnotes:

a. Jeremiah 31:32 Hebrew; Septuagint and Syriac / and I turned away from
        b. Jeremiah 31:32 Or was their master

• Jeremiah 3:8 (NIV)

8 I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery.

• Hosea 2:2-3 (NIV)

2 “Rebuke your mother, rebuke her,
            for she is not my wife,
            and I am not her husband.
        Let her remove the adulterous look from her face
            and the unfaithfulness from between her breasts.
        3 Otherwise I will strip her naked
            and make her as bare as on the day she was born;
        I will make her like a desert,
            turn her into a parched land,
            and slay her with thirst.

• Hosea 2:16 (NIV)

16 “In that day,” declares the Lord,
            “you will call me ‘my husband’;

you will no longer call me ‘my master.[a]’

Footnotes:

a. Hosea 2:16 Hebrew baal

And what does God do to Israel when she misbehaves?

YHWH Himself sends sword, attack, physical violence against her to get her to repent of her sins (covenant infidelity).

• Ezekiel 14:21 (NIV)

21 “For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: How much worse will it be when I send against Jerusalem my four dreadful judgments—sword and famine and wild beasts and plague—to kill its men and their animals!

• Ezekiel 33:11 (NIV)

11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’

• Leviticus 26:25 (NIV)

25 And I will bring the sword on you to avenge the breaking of the covenant. When you withdraw into your cities, I will send a plague among you, and you will be given into enemy hands.

And yet despite this, the God of the Bible teaches men to love their own wives (and God does love His wife / His believers. He just hates Covenant unfaithfulness / disloyalty / infidelity / adultery, and is violent with His wife after putting up with her behavior for a long time).

With the statement that Nabeel is quoted to have said, Nabeel is being very deceptive and unjust: because just like the Bible, the Quran teaches men to love their wives too in other areas, so...that was a dishonest comment of him to say and an underhanded tactic. For someone who was a former Muslim, you would think he already knew this (unless he never read it), but if he knew, then that just makes it a bigger crime...

• Surah 30:21 SAHIH INTERNATIONAL

And of His signs is that He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquillity in them; and He placed between you affection and mercy. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.

• Surah 4:19 SAHIH INTERNATIONAL

O you who have believed, it is not lawful for you to inherit women by compulsion. And do not make difficulties for them in order to take [back] part of what you gave them unless they commit a clear immorality. And live with them in kindness. For if you dislike them - perhaps you dislike a thing and Allah makes therein much good.

• Surah 65:6 SAHIH INTERNATIONAL

Lodge them [in a section] of where you dwell out of your means and do not harm them in order to oppress them. And if they should be pregnant, then spend on them until they give birth. And if they breastfeed for you, then give them their payment and confer among yourselves in the acceptable way; but if you are in discord, then there may breastfeed for the father another woman.

Like I concluded in this thread: [link], Christian apologists need to stick to the atonement work of Christ, and who He really is, because otherwise they start venturing into shared territory, and start to ignorantly condemn things about God's nature, either out of their unawareness (at best) or outright hatred (at worst) of the Old Testament (even though those same characteristics can be found in Jesus in the New Testament as well, so...their Old Testament ignorance is no excuse).

Who is Jesus' wife (or bride-to-be)?

The Church / Israel (the set-apart body of believers).

• Revelation 19:7-8 (NIV)

7 Let us rejoice and be glad
            and give him glory!
        For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
            and his bride has made herself ready.
        8 Fine linen, bright and clean,
            was given her to wear
        .”
        (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God’s holy people.)

• Ephesians 5:25-33 (NIV)

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[a] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[b] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Footnotes:

a. Ephesians 5:26 Or having cleansed
        b. Ephesians 5:31 Gen. 2:24

• Romans 11:25-27 (NIV)

25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, 26 and in this way[a] all Israel will be saved. As it is written:

“The deliverer will come from Zion;
            he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.
        27 And this is[b] my covenant with them
            when I take away their sins.”[c]

Footnotes:

a. Romans 11:26 Or and so
        b. Romans 11:27 Or will be
        c. Romans 11:27 Isaiah 59:20,21; 27:9 (see Septuagint); Jer. 31:33,34

And what does Jesus do to the Church when she misbehaves?

Jesus (YHWH-incarnate) Himself sends sword, attack, physical violence against her to get her to repent of her sins (covenant infidelity).

• Revelation 2:18-24 (NIV)

18 “To the angel of the church in Thyatira write:

These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. 19 I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first.

20 Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22 So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23 I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.

24 Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you,

• Revelation 2:12 -16 (NIV)

12 “To the angel of the church in Pergamum write:

These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword. 13 I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, not even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives.

14 Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: There are some among you who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin so that they ate food sacrificed to idols and committed sexual immorality. 15 Likewise, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. 16 Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

• 1 Corinthians 11:27-32 (NIV)

27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment. 32 Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

There are sides to the Living God that are very violent, even against His own people. Nabeel, all apologists and all theologians as well, need to accept that.

• Job 5:18 (NIV)

18 For he wounds, but he also binds up;
              he injures, but his hands also heal.

• Hosea 6:1 (NIV)

6 “Come, let us return to the Lord.
        He has torn us to pieces
            but he will heal us;
        he has injured us
            but he will bind up our wounds.

Disciplining people in one's family—physically—when they act wrongly has fallen out of favour with the world, but there is nothing morally wrong with it. God does it. So His people can do it too without condemnation, to his wife, to his children, to his slaves/workers/servants. Everyone gets equal discipline from the head of the family (in symbolic representation of how God, as the head of the human family, disciplines all mankind). Obviously, God prefers people listening to His Instruction (explanations and loving guidance) but there comes a time when His anger bursts forth (and never unmerited, nor out of drunken stupor nor in response to minor, petty annoyances—but grievous sin).

Nabeel stands no chance against his disease, no matter how much people fast and pray, if he does not repent / turn away from his wicked ways as well. He needs to stop lying. About God. About the Bible. About the Quran (and about anything / anyone else for that matter). Don't get me wrong, the Quran deserves to be attacked for what it says about the crucifixion and Jesus (denying that the crucifixion ever happened, denying that the death of Christ ever happened and subsequent raising back to life, thus denying the atonement sacrifice ever happened), but we cannot attack it by failing to acknowledge the totality of the Quran's message pertaining to a specific topic. We should only attack the statements that actually go against the Truth. Ergo, be righteous and fair in our judgment. For instance how Muhammad and the Quran deny the deity of Christ, and teaches against the Law and the Prophets of YHWH in the Bible).

In the other article about Nabeel's book specifically, which I linked to in my quote above, Nabeel is making statements against Muhammad that people lift up against Jesus equally. This is the same phenomena I addressed in the [Loving Your Muslim Neighbor] topic and [Trusting The Bible] topic—people making statements against the Quran unawares that the Bible expresses the same thought, making condemnations of Muhammad's actions despite the same applying to Jesus. And if not aware, then they're knowingly and purposely suppressing the truth because of authoritative, theological opinions/interpretations being passed around in seminaries, in spite of what Scripture records.

All of that to say, this looks like one of God's four judgments in respone to Nabeel's sin, based on visible evidence of Nabeel's actions / words (may no one say that he is an innocent, blameless Job, going through some unmerited trial, because Job accepted everything about God's nature and did not ascribe sin to God's actions).

• Job 1:22 (NIV)

22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

cristobela
Vice Captain

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces