Welcome to Gaia! ::

ashdown

Back to Guilds

rp guild for the community "ashdown" 

Tags: magical, realism, roleplay 

Reply ashdown
[RP] Strange New Land (Darcie O'Hare + Acacia Bryant)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Micillia

Dapper Duck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:00 pm
current prompt

You've arrived in your new era, and you have noticed three issues immediately.

Firstly: You have nowhere to stay. (How long will you be here? Who knows.)
      Secondly: You have nothing to wear. (Your clothes definitely don't fit in.)
      Thirdly: What are you going to do for money? (It's not immediately obvious, you know.)

In order for your character to progress to the next phase, you must roll three four-sided dice and write a solo or do an RP wherein you address these three problems. Your dice rolls will determine how well you do, and will enable you to pick one to three advantages, depending on how many points you end up with. (Higher numbers are better and indicate a better stealthing into the society!) When you're ready to move on, please quote your moderators and one of them will drop in to give you the information you need to prepare for your next phase.

Please feel free to RP as much as you like within your era. :>

You may assign your dice values to each slot as you will. So if you roll a 1, a 4, and a 3, you can put the three on whatever you like--it doesn't have to apply to the third set of concerns.

What sort of lodgings do you acquire for your stay?
      1. You know, I've always liked camping. (None)
      2. It's fun to stay at the YMCA. (Youth hostel/homeless shelter)
      3. I scrounged up enough cash to secure a rented room. (Hotel/rented room)
      4. I've managed to find a comfy bed with a kindly family or group. (Rented room, free)

What sort of clothing do you find to help you blend in?
      1. My clothes are fine. (None)
      2. I found a clothesline. (Stolen off a clothesline; low-class or poorly meshing)
      3. I scrounged up enough cash to secure a pretty decent outfit. (Purchased; mid-class or slightly against social mores)
      4. Someone took pity on me and helped me blend in more. (Free; easy to pass)

How are you going to earn some cash?
      1. I don't need it. (None)
      2. Busking! I'm good at it! (Low income)
      3. Some under-the-table work. (Middleish income)
      4. I've always fancied myself a con man... (High income)

Every three points you earn can be traded in for a bonus. The options are: one of your characters' powers can be re-earned, a +1 bonus to persuasion rolls, a +1 bonus to athleticism/combat rolls, or a +1 increase in one of your situational rolls (so securing better housing, clothing, or job).

User Image

Micillia rolled 3 4-sided dice: 4, 2, 3 Total: 9 (3-12)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:02 pm
Darcie O'Hare
Nov 1 1922
4: I've managed to find a comfy bed with a kindly family or group. (Rented room, free)
2: I found a clothesline. (Stolen off a clothesline; low-class or poorly meshing)
3: Some under-the-table work. (Middleish income)

Darcie found herself in the same city, but nothing like the city she called home. The people dressed differently, the houses all looked much different, Darcie could not find a convenient store to save her life. It was at this point that it slowly dawned on the girl that all the... weird things... that had happened in the forest might actually be real. Darcie started to notice the weird looks she was receiving, and decided it was for the best that she try to fit in, at least a little. With a sigh, Darcie managed to find a clothesline that was unattended. She looked back and forth, not feeling comfortable with stealing. Darcie took a few articles of clothing and then pinned up a sock with some quarters in it for payment. She tucked her other clothes in a "sack" she managed to makeshift. There was no way she was going to abandon her jacket. It was the only gift she had actually liked from her parents. With a sigh, Darcie unbranded her hair, trying to hide her wonderful haircut with a hat as well. Darcie wandered back to where she had originally been on arrival to this strange age, purchased a newspaper, and kept her eyes pealed for anyone she recognized.

KitsuneAura

Micillia

Dapper Duck

KitsuneAura rolled 3 4-sided dice: 3, 4, 2 Total: 9 (3-12)

KitsuneAura

Magical Detective

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:16 pm
Micillia
4: I've managed to find a comfy bed with a kindly family or group. (Rented room, free)
2: I found a clothesline. (Stolen off a clothesline; low-class or poorly meshing)
3: Some under-the-table work. (Middleish income)

Everything was the same. Everything was undeniably different. Acacia reminded herself how she'd gotten here, back to city square of Ashdown it seemed, as she tried to put her finger on all of the oddities. The newness of the buildings, the old models of the vehicles, the antique street lamps. She'd been listening, in that not-library, and she knew this all had something to do with memories, apparently. So then this was one, right? Some old, old memory.

As she came to grips with that, a newly familiar face caught her eye. Different clothes, but without a doubt, that was Darcie, wasn't it? Or was it some ancestor of hers? Ugh, it was enough to give her a headache. Shrugging, the pastry chef made her way over, managing a little smile and checking the other woman's face for recognition. When she found it, she relaxed a bit. Still not alone in this. Good.

"Have you managed to find anything?" She glanced down at the newspaper Darcie held, squinting, and then gave a little 'ah' as she saw the date. "1922, huh? Well, I guess we should-" She paused, noticing for the first time the strange stares she was getting from others on the street, and glanced down at herself. 1922, and she was still dressed like this. "Um. Well. First of all, where did you find those clothes?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:15 pm
Darcie grinned at the familiar face, a weight seeming to lift from her chest. Being out of place and time, seemingly suddenly and without notice, had been more of a burden than she had through. "Acacia!" Darcie exclaimed, standing up to greet the familiar face. Darcie frowned at the newspaper the woman was referring to. "Yeah, 1922 was not what i expected after all the... " Darcie waved her hand around indicating all the weird stuff that had happened in the forest. As Acacia brought attention to it, Darcie started to notice the looks at her attire as well.

"Well..." Darcie started, absently adjusting the hat to hide her hair, "I found them in, um, not the most ethical manner... but i did see some other clothes where i got these." Darcie shrugged apologetically, "I took them from a clothesline, there arnt a lot of options when shopping there." Darcie looked down at her own stolen clothes. The well worn nightwear did not exactly blend in perfectly, but it was better than the noticeable knee boots and modern jacket she had sported before. "Im sure we can at least wrangle you up another pair of PJs. Maybe even a coat." Darcie lead the way to a fairly well stocked clothesline, and bowed to Acacia. "And what would you like for today M'Lady. We have quite the selection of dressing gowns," Darcie grimaced as she happened upon a pair of well worn long-johns, "..and all the intimate apparel of the age you could want." she finished, pushing the undercloth away.

KitsuneAura

Micillia

Dapper Duck

KitsuneAura

Magical Detective

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:24 am
"Well, I guess it's not like we have any money..." Stealing didn't sit easy with her, but strange circumstances called for desperate measures, and this was definitely the strangest day of her life. Who knew if it even mattered what they took anyway? Worries shrugged off, she followed Darcie towards the clothesline, glancing around as subtly as she could to make sure no one saw them.

At Darcie's bow, Acacia blinked slowly and then lifted a hand to her mouth to cover a giggle. "You're too kind, really. I'm sure I can find something." She nearly went with a dressing gown, in the end, but eventually she managed to find a blouse and long skirt that might fit. The colors didn't match at all (a bit of an understatement actually), but they fit at least, and they'd blend in better than her jeans and t-shirt would. Unfortunately there weren't any shoes hanging conveniently around, so her tennis shoes it was.

She let Darcie keep lookout while she quickly changed, then bundled her clothes up as well she could, wrapped them in her jacket, and set it by her feet while she reached up to undo her hair and comb her fingers through it. Now that it was starting to dry there was a chance she might be able to look presentable. "Do you think we'll be here long?" Relatively pleased with her progress, she began to twist her hair back up into a neater bun. "This'll get us by for now, but without money..."

Micillia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 pm
Acacia was bringing up some rather tough topics. What were they going to do? How long were they supposed to be here? What were they even looking for exactly? Darcie shook her head, and scratched at her scruffy hat, trying to sort priorities. "So, money, a place to sleep..." Darcie pondered, looking around at the city, smelling something wonderful coming from down the road. "And food." She shrugged at the other woman, "I think ive got a few pennies left, little food will help us brainstorm ideas, right?"

With that the two walked farther into the town, where more people were, and more opportunities presented themselves. The mouthwatering scent led Darcie like a dog to a bone, and she found the small pastry shop that appeared to be the origin. Darcie opened the door and made a beeline for the display of pastries. There were meat pies, wonderful looking tarts, all her favorite foods. (everything is her favorite food when shes hungry) Darcie stood up as a woman fame in from the back, looking a little worn out. "Can i get two of those meat pies, please?" The woman gave Darcie an exhausted smile and went to get Acacia and Darcie the buns. As she brought them over to the counter and told them the total. Darcie counted out the dimes and pennies, hoping the woman wouldn't notice the strangeness of them. As she reached to collect the money, the cry of a baby could be heard from the other room, and the woman quickly put the money in the till and ran to the back.

"Baby and a bakery... she looks busy." Darcie commented as she brought the food over. "Maybe she could use some help..." Darcie managed between mouthfuls of the pastry. The woman came back to the front about ten minutes later, looking a fair bit rushed. "Um, Hey. We just got into town, and don't really have an agenda yet, would you like some help?" The woman smiled and introduced herself as Mary. "My friend here, Acacia, is quite the baker! And if you need someone to lift, carry, or really any physical work, maybe i can offer you a hand."

KitsuneAura
U wanna do the part where she totally lends us her attic, a bike, and we find a small black cat?

Micillia

Dapper Duck

KitsuneAura

Magical Detective

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:41 pm
"I used to work in a bakery in my hometown," Acacia confirmed, warmly returning Mary's smile. "I have my doubts I can match your meat pies for quality," she lifted what was left of her own with a little laugh, "but I think you'll be pleased if you give me a chance to show you what I can do. And if not, I'm more than happy to help Darcie with the physical work." She already looked like she was more than ready to accept their offer, especially considering how hard a time she was obviously having looking after a shop and a baby, but Acacia figured just a little more couldn't hurt. "You'd be helping us just as much as we'd be helping you."

Sometime later, after a trial run of helping in the kitchen and several tasks later, it occurred to her to glance over at Mary and ask, only half-sure she'd get an answer they'd be able to use, if the woman had any idea of somewhere they might be able to find a place to stay. The answer to that question was the absolute last thing she'd expected, but here they were. The attic room above the pastry shop was a little on the small side, but it would be more than enough for the two of them to stay in for however long they were here, and the convenience was beyond belief.

Honestly, she wasn't sure even she had as much generosity in her as Mary clearly did. Letting out a breath, Acacia turned to look at Darcie and gave a quick grin. "It seems strange to say we're lucky considering how we got here, but...We're very lucky."

Micillia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:19 pm
Darcie fell into bed that night. The work was easy, and although it didn't really make much money, it exhausted her. She should be happy, right? Acacia and herself had a place they could sleep, free bread after it was a day old, and neither of them were sick or dead. But Acacia and her had to get home. Exhausted as she was, Darcie lay awake, thinking. She didn't want to think about the impossible task she was supposed to preform. Her thoughts drifted to Bruce. Was he okay? Would she ever get back? Or would he starve out there, tied to a tree? Darcie rolled her eyes at herself with that last though, Bruce was notorious for chewing up his lead. She was sure he just snapped the flimsy cloth cord seconds after she had left. Darcie promised herself that tomorrow, during her deliveries, she would keep a better look for anything suspicious. She could see herself falling into a routine here, and that scared here. She didn't belong in this time, and neither did Acacia. She needed to get them home.

azuredreams
medigel
KitsuneAura

Micillia

Dapper Duck

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:03 pm
"The number of complaints about clothes being stolen off of clothes line is ..." A tall young officer speaks to his shorter companion as they pass Acacia and Darcie.

"How many reports?" he asks, adjusting his glasses.

"Four that I had to look into myself," he sighs in response as they continue walking down the street. They don't pay attention to the young man that's whittling something out of a piece of wood but he prefers things that way. Instead he hops off of the barrel he's on and approaches the two young women.

"Don't suppose either of you know about any of that, do you?" There's an impish gleam in his eye but he lets it go. Clearly he knows something. "So many new faces in town lately, like yourself. I suppose you're here for magic, aren't you? There's going to a be reading soon at Blackfriars all about it." He pauses. "Well, spiritualist literature. You might want to spiff yourself up and check it out."

A piece of paper is held out, an address on it.

"Though if you don't, they may not let you in even with an invite." Which is to say: dress to impress.

Micillia
you have both been invited

KitsuneAura
to a reading of spiritualist literature at blackfriars!

ashdown

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games