rp guild for the community "ashdown" 

Tags: magical, realism, roleplay 

Reply ashdown
[Solo] Find your way (Marcus)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
iStoleYurVamps rolled 3 4-sided dice: 3, 4, 4 Total: 11 (3-12)

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:54 pm
Quote:
4. I've managed to find a comfy bed with a kindly family or group. (Rented room, free)
3. I scrounged up enough cash to secure a pretty decent outfit. (Purchased; mid-class or slightly against social mores)
4. I've always fancied myself a con man... (High income)

Muggy, that was the first feeling that hit Marcus as his body lurched forward into a place that wasn't some dark void. Hot and humid and stinky- It wasn't the air of an Ashdown that Marcus knew as he stepped forward from that place that had never been but rather, "City stink." he muttered to himself. He hated it, but he knew it from traveling. It was terrible and clung to you. Took a while to adapt if you didn't get assaulted with it daily.
Blue eyes jerked forward as the roar of a subway took him by surprise, and as people filtered out of the metal cars and shoved him like a fish downstream, the man ended up on the corner of a street he didn't recognize. In a city he didn't know.

If there was something Marcus was good at, it was watching people and learning how to mimic them. When your mind played tricks on you you had to learn to fake being normal. Being thrust into a time, a place where he hadn't a clue what to do? Marcus did what he did back home. He found an unassuming spot, and watched. It was good he did so too, as it became quickly apparent that one thing was going to make his life hell.
His skin wasn't pale enough to pass.

The looked he got from those who saw him were confused, but he knew the downcast of eyes, the quick way the moved as he noticed them meeting their gaze. He was well dressed and groomed, but he was not white. A ball of basic self preservation went thought him. A few young men pointed him in the right direction. Soon enough, Marcus found a place nestled in a corner store. The man was an immigrant, and his speech native. Marcus's own Arabic felt clumsy and broken in comparison. Still, the man was kind, understanding. Most didn't want to hire their types he told him. But if you have the smarts, they'd hear you. Good place to try was a local man- he ran the Mosque just two blocks off.

Mimic people. Smile and nod. Avoid telling truths that went to deep but make up small details to make it more believable. It should have scared him. Should have had more shaken him. Truth was that Marcus was panicking. Frantically trying to think of what to do. What say. His phone would die eventually and it would cause alarm. He kept it off as he found the man the shop owner had described. Marcus kept his story to the point. He'd gotten off a flight and some thugs had stolen his luggage and cards. The embassy wasn't having him, and he needed a place to stay. His money was gone too.
The Imam said he could stay with him for the time being. He'd help him find some temp work.

Blue eyes, the Imam commented, it made him lucky. Some European in his blood would help him find work. He also didn't have the accent, (traveling back and forth his whole life Marcus explained).

The end of the night he was meeting with a local businessman. He needed someone who could run numbers, file paper work. Until Marcus could recover his cards at the Embassy, (they all knew it could take weeks), he'd be paid by the hour. Decent wages. Marcus offered to help at the Mosque on off days. Hakim, the Imam, smiled at him and Marcus felt a small part of his anxiety fade though guilt at his lies weighed him down.
At least he'd be safe for now.

shibrogane
Silverah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:29 pm
It wouldn't take long for Marcus to notice something quite strange: maybe a cash register that operated itself, a light flickering on overhead with nothing to connect it to the ground, to power, to anything at all. After a day or two, he overheard a conversation at the mosque:

"Thank you," a familiar, mellifluous voice, high for a man but too low for a woman. "I know it's... difficult, in these times."

The imam answered: "It's not for me to judge a man's earthly life. That power belongs only to Allah."

"The service will be tomorrow, then?" The imam confirmed, and after a long moment of silence there was a sigh. "If you wish to attend the wake..."

"Renard," said the imam. His tone was gentle as his words were cruel. "That it is not for me to judge does not mean I can condone the sin."

"It's at Andromache," said Renard. He named a local address. "It would have meant so much to him."

They said their goodbyes.

Renard... wasn't that the name of the Enemy?

iStoleYurVamps

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:44 pm
Marcus was getting used to a new schedule already. Wake at 6, help get the mosque ready for morning services, go to work, buy a few things, (So far, he'd found the Imam had little time to make the occasional purchase and had given Marcus a small handful of a change and a list), ask around about this or that, go 'home', cook, sleep.

Not much different than Ashdown except is was entirely unlike Ashdown.

Lots of people, and lot of unrest.

Today, he was just planning to spend his free time scrounging the paper and magazines once he finished up dusting the floors. He almost missed the conversation, but words carried in the doomed area, and he felt a spark of something in him.

Hope.

Renard wasn't a common name and- Marcus also felt a bit guilty of the thought. Crashing a wake of all things on the chance he might catch sight of the one they were supposed to cage? It was dubious.

So why as it that he did venture to look, seeking the off chance? Because desperation was hope's forgotten offspring. And Marcus was desperate.

Blue eyes scanned the mosque for a man he'd only ever encountered in passing. He might be right, he might be wrong, but it never hurt to look.

shibrogane
I assume this is okay?

ashdown

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces