Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Vitha was lingering near one of the smaller watering holes, away from the majority of the pride. There were still some lions prowling about, getting a drink between their duties and errands. With how massively large the pride was, it was nearly impossible to get any time alone. Even out near the border, there was always at least some scout keeping an eye on you, even if they were just a speck on the horizon.

The lioness was drawing swirls into the soft mud around the water, trying to mimic the lines of clouds above her. In truth, they didn't look like much of anything, but she was entertained at how easy her claw would pierce the soft mud. It was an interesting feeling, and wasn't at all like helping in a hunt.

"Cuts so smooth," she mumbled to herself, flicking away a stone that blocked her claw's path.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:49 am
User Image

Below the lioness' feet, the mud began to move, seemingly on its own, developing a distinct ripple. Then a dark head broke the surface, revealing the purple back of a snake who had been busy burrowing in the muck.

"Aha!" Kina sang out as she took a breath of air. Most of her body was still buried, and she scrunched herself up and relaxed just to feel the mud sliding over her scales. There was nothing better, she felt, than squirming around through the stuff.

Then she looked up, noticing the lioness for the first time.

"Oh!"  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:52 am
Vitha's deep red eyes widened at the sight of the surprise snake, clearly never anticipating to see anything around here other than lions and birds (with the occasional hare).

"My! Is it common for a snake to slink its way out of a soft mud bath, or am I just the lucky lioness of the land?" Vitha withdrew her muddy paw slowly, unsure as to how friendly this little snake would be. The last thing she desired was a bite.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:55 am
Kina wriggled around until she was mostly lying on her back, looking up at the lioness. It was much more comfortable this way than leaning back and trying to look up and up and up. The lioness was black and white, a nice contrast to Kina's own deep colors, the snake thought. And friendly, thus far. She didn't want to end up as a meal or something.

"I don't know," she chirped cheerfully after considering the question. "I do it, but I don't know anyone else who does. Why not try it?" Kina offered, lifting her tailtip to gesticulate.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:00 am
Vitha glanced over at the mud pile, her own muddy paw, and let out quite a laugh. Enough that a few stranger lions glanced over in curiosity, but could most likely only see the lioness by herself.

"I doubt I would be able to fit myself in the same way you fit." It was a little bemusing how the snake was laying on its back, vulnerable and yet threatening with how fast it could move if Vitha dared to do anything.

"Does it...help with the heat? Keeps you clean? Helps with the scales staying....scaly?" Vitha realized she had never spoken with a snake before....and didn't think she knew anyone that had. Very intriguing.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 am
Kina studied the lioness. She had a point, considering that the mammal was so very...big. She couldn't burrow under the mud's surface here, even though it wasmore than deep enough for the snake.

"Maybe not here," she replied at last, "but I've heard of really big mudholes! One day I'll go there myself," the snake declared. "And I like it because it feels good. All that goopy mud, sliding along my smooth scales..." the snake shuddered happily, squirming around in the mess.

"That's why everyone should try it!" she declared.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 am
"I suppose it doesn't hurt one to try it, though I'm not sure you'll get too many volunteers around here."

Vitha let her muddy paw slink along the surface again, careful to not disturb the snake's own section of mud. Which made the lioness think... "Do you live here, or are you just visiting? Do you have family? I've never come across such a friendly snake, let alone one that is willing to talk."

Oh! "I'm Vitha, by the way. Living a dull life in the Pridelands."  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 am
"Kina," the snake replied as she twisted around again to better watch the paw's progress through the thick, sucking mud. "I must've had family at some point - since snakes don't magically pop out of holes in the ground! - but I lost them a long time ago," she explained. She probably also had siblings somewhere, since it was a rare clutch with only one egg.

"I don't live anywhere but where I am!" Kina declared proudly. She made a habit of staying in a place as long as it entertained her, then looking for a more fun location. And wherever she was, it was home for the moment.

"Is it dull because your fur isn't shiny scales?" the snake asked in turn. She would hate to not be shiny, and couldn't imagine how mammals must bear it.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 am
"Hmmm..." This snake had an interesting philosophy on home, one that she assumed was how her rogue father lived. He would visit, but his need to listen to stories drove him to travel as far as he could. Occasionally he would return to tell his children stories, and Vitha loved them. She just...couldn't quite pull herself away from here.

"Having shiny fur does sound interesting, but no." She chuckled at the visual of shiny fur, clearly having driven Kina's thoughts to that since she used the phrase 'dull.' "Its because nothing terribly exciting happens here. I just can't seem to let myself pull away. This is home, as boring as it is."

"The mud, though, may help make it more interesting, now that you've enlightened me."  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:39 am
"If it's boring, why not leave?" Kina asked. She didn't understand why some people stayed in one place, called it home, and allowed themselves to rot until they were little more than sentient mud inside, no matter how nice their outsides looked. She was glad that Vitha said she'd helped make it more interesting, but the snake wasn't certain mud alone would be enough if this place was that deadly dull.

Hmm, maybe she wouldn't stay here as long as she'd thought, despite the nice mud.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 am
"I just...." Vitha went quiet for a moment, gathering up her thoughts. She supposed that they would all sound like excuses, but that's really what they were, anyway.

"Maybe some day I will be able to, but unfortunately that's not today."

She smiled a bit, still touching the thick, messy mud. "But maybe I can get a little of your perspective in my brain, and do it one of these days. Once I enjoy more of this mud with you!"  
[IC] Pridelands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games