Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Cosplay Help / Tutorial

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 pm
So i decided that i would try and make my first full cosplay

I'm thinking about dark magician girl
and like the anime i want to make everything including the fabric stiff

1. any suggestions for wiring? that is strong enough to be stiff ?
2. for making the gloves what kind of foam should i use?
3. Anyone know how to make the giant jewels on her gloves and boots?
4. Wand ?
5. What materials are good for making the hat?
if you could send some instruction or tutorials my way that would be great !

Thank You

heart  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:58 pm
3. You should use resin and dye it with ink (like, pen ink) or fabric dye to make the jewels. You can buy the resin at JoAnn, Michael's or Amazon. You can also get good molds there, and should be able to find one similar to the shape you need. I use Easy Cast brand resin mix, so that's the one I recommend!  

Aegys

Sexy Vampire

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:02 pm
Hi Nena,

Help is on it's way. I just did a Guild Wide Announcement about getting help for your Dark Magician Girl Cosplay Outfit. Also I'm going to let our crew know about it as well. I'm sure that someone can help you out. I can't wait to see how it turns out and please either post a photo of your outfit on this thread or in the Guilds Photo Section Sub Forum. Good Luck

The Dark Magician Girl is one of my all time favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! and Anime characters. Below is a photo of a Dark Magician Girl Cosplayer that I took at the Youmacon 2016 convention. I hope that you like the photo and that it helps give you an idea of how the Cosplay outfit looks on an actual Cosplayer.

User Image

Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime series Cosplayer Photo - Dark Magician Girl

Youmacon 2016 - Sun Nov 6th, 2016, Cobo Hall, Detroit, Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:04 pm
nena_sakura

Looks like craft foam to me. Follow this tutorial, and you'll be in good shape. Coscom is a great place for tutorials in general.  

Llarian

Valiant Leaf

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:06 pm
Aegys
3. You should use resin and dye it with ink (like, pen ink) or fabric dye to make the jewels. You can buy the resin at JoAnn, Michael's or Amazon. You can also get good molds there, and should be able to find one similar to the shape you need. I use Easy Cast brand resin mix, so that's the one I recommend!

Hello Aegys,

Thanks for helping Nena out. I appreciate it a lot and I know that she will appreciate the help as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:09 pm
Llarian
nena_sakura

Looks like craft foam to me. Follow this tutorial, and you'll be in good shape. Coscom is a great place for tutorials in general.

Llarian thanks for the quick response and for helping Nena out. This is what the Guild is all about helping each other with Cosplay Outfits and so much more.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Aegys

Sexy Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:10 pm
smithers456
Aegys

Hello Aegys,

Thanks for helping Nena out. I appreciate it a lot and I know that she will appreciate the help as well.

No problem! heart  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 pm
nena_sakura
So i decided that i would try and make my first full cosplay

I'm thinking about dark magician girl
and like the anime i want to make everything including the fabric stiff

4. Wand ?

Thank You

heart

Wiring limits movement. If your looking for something stiff hoer the shoulder area and mid arrow section, I would use the same type of padding used in baseball hats. Its come in different thicknesses and hardness. I don't know the name of it, But it can be purchased at Wal-mart in their fabric section. It should be near the mesh and is usually separated for the main fabrics. Its easy to sew through as well.
I would skip the foam and use wonderflex. Its a modeable plastic that can be heated with a blow dryer and can be reheated to fix any mistakes. Foam creases when moved and becomes noticeable at a distance. I would use the same material for the jewels and hat.
I would use small balls (the foam ones at micheal's should work) cut in half and use those as a mold. Use wondeflex and cover the balls. (do not heat too high or the foam will stick! Also don't cover the bottom. Once they've cooled, remove the foam and paint on the inside! Wonder flex in clear so if you paint on the inside it will love more like a jewel. The glue on. I prefer using super glue but hot glue should work as well.
4. Wand ?
Make the long staff part out of pvc pipe. You can pre-cut pipe at home depot for $0.99. You're going to want the pipe to be about an inch big. The ball at the end can be a cheap ball of any kind supper clued on. Make the swrily bit at the end out of eva foam.You can buy eva foam on amazon. (You can use a dermal to carve out the 3d, but you will have to layer the foam. Just use pepper clay or bondo to fill in any spaces. Be sure to sand it so its even.) For all the smaller detail, I would use wonder flex. Coat everything in Plasti dip which can be purchased at Wal-Mart. I(It will be with spray paint NOT auto). Then You can spray paint the color. Dont forget to mask off what you dont want to paint a certain color. And yes its better if you glue everything before painting. The glue doesn't hold well to paint and you risk a wardrobe malfunction.

P.S. For the boots, find a cheap pair at Wal-Mart or good will with a similar size and shape. Then use vinyl to make the design. You can glue on the vinyl with E6000 glue. NO OTHER GLUE WILL WORK! You can but this glue at Wal-Mart ( It should be in the fabric section near supper glue and hot glue) You can also buy it at most auto places and fabric stores. This stuff is like supper supper glue. It drys clear, is water proof, and is flexible.

Hope this helped and best of luck! cat_3nodding  

Neko Akashi

Floppy Kitten

14,975 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bookworm 100

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:16 pm
nena_sakura

That would depend on what part of the costume.

If you want something cheap and flexible I would just go with regular craft foam. If you put one or two layers together it may work nicely.

Look up making Resin.

4. Wand ?
Covered Piping for the shaft and making some strong foam for the head.

Again craft foam may be the way to go with some fabric on the inside for comfort.

My research came up with this.

One persons outfit  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:46 pm
thank you for your suggestions heart  

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Cosplay Help

Manage Your Items