Welcome to Gaia! ::

Odd One Out

Back to Guilds

The sweet little slice of Gaia reserved for the bizarre, twisted, and/or bored. 

Tags: Random, Debate, Discussion, Chat, Competitions 

Reply Main Forum
Does anyone here use Audible?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Audible
  Yes
  No
  Never tried it
View Results

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 pm
I just signed up for a free trial with them.

I am a total book nerd and I fly through books and audiobooks alike so I figured I'd give it a go. I've been put off by the fact that $15 a month to access one audiobook seems steep, but it has some audiobooks I can't get at my library so it seemed at least worth the free go.

Has anyone else tried it? Worth it? Not worth it? Did you buy extra credits?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm
I'd never heard of it! My brother likes to listen to audio-books on youtube. I like listening to podcasts personally. I know I listened to audio books when I was a kid (Roald Dahl audio books were great ~might have got spelling wrong idc)

Is it similar to watching a movie ? Like idk you're listening and making the movie in your mind? Do you have to be able to concentrate a little or can you play a video game at the same time and keep up fine?

Sounds like a must have for "book nerds" as u call them though =)  

MinnieMixie
Crew

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 pm
MinnieMixie
I'd never heard of it! My brother likes to listen to audio-books on youtube. I like listening to podcasts personally. I know I listened to audio books when I was a kid (Roald Dahl audio books were great ~might have got spelling wrong idc)

Is it similar to watching a movie ? Like idk you're listening and making the movie in your mind? Do you have to be able to concentrate a little or can you play a video game at the same time and keep up fine?

I definitely form a bit of a movie in my mind. A good narrator is crucial to that though.
I feel like I need some concentration though it's minimal. I listen to them while I work, but sometimes I find my focus leaves the audiobook for a chunk of time if my work requires a lot of my attention. (At least it's the audiobook I stop paying attention to and not the work!)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm
I use it. You don't technically have to pay for membership to use the audiobooks or keep the ones you payed for, but you get a nice discount and access to sales with the membership.  

Maethirion

Smol Cranberry

31,925 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 pm
Maethirion
I use it. You don't technically have to pay for membership to use the audiobooks or keep the ones you payed for, but you get a nice discount and access to sales with the membership.

Yeah that's true. The one credit a month appeals to me, since it pretty much is the cost of a book anyway, if not a little under.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:54 pm
MinnieMixie

Playing a video game would use the same areas of the brain as you would use to listen to an audiobook. I don't think you could follow two different stories unless you could watch a movie and play a video game simultaneously. I use it on long drives or while I do chores.  

Maethirion

Smol Cranberry

31,925 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Magical Gems 500

Maethirion

Smol Cranberry

31,925 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion

Yeah that's true. The one credit a month appeals to me, since it pretty much is the cost of a book anyway, if not a little under.

The daily deal is nice.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:57 pm
Maethirion
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion

The daily deal is nice.

Oh wow I did not know that existed. That there's some dangerous knowledge hahahahha sorry bank account...  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Maethirion

Smol Cranberry

31,925 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 pm
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion

The daily deal is nice.

Oh wow I did not know that existed. That there's some dangerous knowledge hahahahha sorry bank account...

It's how I listened to The Girl With All the Gifts.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:06 pm
Maethirion
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion

The daily deal is nice.

Any good?  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Maethirion

Smol Cranberry

31,925 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:21 pm
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion
Funkyblueeyes
Maethirion

The daily deal is nice.

Any good?

They made it into a movie soon after it came out.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:07 pm
Maethirion

The daily deal is nice.

Whelp, there goes all my money. Hahahha I can't stop gonk  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Maethirion

Smol Cranberry

31,925 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Magical Gems 500