Welcome to Gaia! ::

Odd One Out

Back to Guilds

The sweet little slice of Gaia reserved for the bizarre, twisted, and/or bored. 

Tags: Random, Debate, Discussion, Chat, Competitions 

Reply Main Forum
Book Recommendations!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Books are
  Da bomb
  Made of tree guts
  My one true love
View Results

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:33 pm
I love books! So I'm opening up a thread for any and all book recommendations. What's worth a read?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:50 pm
I'll start us off by sharing some of my favs!

I recently read All the Light we Cannot See and I really loved it. I've been reading a lot of wartime fiction lately and it's always super uplifting hahaha. This book follows the stories of two young people in WWII France. One is a young German boy and the other a blind French girl. The narrative jumps back and forth between them and follow them through their stories and it's pretty great.

The Goldfinch is another one I typically recommend. This one's sort of a troubled youth story. It follows this kid who survives a tragedy in childhood, and is left kind of adrift from there. It's hard to give too much of a summary without giving a lot away, but he ends up with a secret that he must keep at all costs, and that's something he carries with him through the story. It's a good 'un.

The Book Thief!!! If you've seen the movie for this one, don't let it cloud your judgment for this book. The book is a work of art. The movie was just meh. If you haven't seen the movie be sure to read the book first because they're incomparable. The Book Thief is another wartime novel, about a young girl growing up in WWII Germany in the care of a foster family. It's really charming and beautiful and heartbreaking. I can't sing its praises enough.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand.... let's see hmmm....

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I have yet to read a book by this man that I don't like. All of his books are set in Afghanistan. The main character is a young boy growing up there who is close friends with a boy who is much poorer than he is. The book strongly addresses class differences and love, regret, shame, growth. One of the hidden benefits of this book is that I have absolutely no experience with the culture there, so to read a book set so firmly and believably in that location is fascinating and a real learning experience.

I could go on and on but I should pace myself so...

Tag! You're it!  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Tryst_Darkheart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:09 am
I don't read often anymore, sad. Most recently flipped through A Clockwork Orange.

At the risk of sounding like a fan boy, Stephen King's The Stand and Neil Gaimen's Sandman have been quite worthy life experiences.

The Sandman may be a comic, but it's the comic for folk who don't read comics.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:36 pm
Tryst_Darkheart
I don't read often anymore, sad. Most recently flipped through A Clockwork Orange.

At the risk of sounding like a fan boy, Stephen King's The Stand and Neil Gaimen's Sandman have been quite worthy life experiences.

The Sandman may be a comic, but it's the comic for folk who don't read comics.

I recently read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaimen. I wasn't super crazy about it but was told not to let it ruin all of his work for me haha. And Stephen King's 11/22/63 which I did enjoy, though I can never remember the name without help from google xD  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Petorikoru

Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:31 pm
if you like fantasy I HIGHLY recommend the books in the Dragonlance series cat_3nodding
the inheritance cycle as well, literally my fave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:58 pm
morte maga
if you like fantasy I HIGHLY recommend the books in the Dragonlance series cat_3nodding
the inheritance cycle as well, literally my fave

I've never gotten big into fantasy. That being said a good book can sway me no matter what the genre razz  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:23 pm
I'm making my way through The Themis Files series, and it's actually a pretty good sci fi for anyone who's into that sort of thing.

It's written all through the perspective of interviews and audio logs, which sounds like it would be a drag but actually turned out really interesting. I don't have a lot of reading time right now so I've been going with the audiobooks and they're very well done.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 am
Extra Lives; why video games matter

And

Dark Jewels Trilogy
(Strong stomach and iron will required. Opening part of the book has a bound man getting capital punishment with grease covered balls and hungry rats. Author lets you know from the get go that no punches are pulled. It was beautiful)  

Xenar1

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Sincerely Metalhead
Crew

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:19 pm
A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) by George RR Martin. 1000x better than the TV show. It was hard for me to put those books down.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm
Sincerely Metalhead
A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) by George RR Martin. 1000x better than the TV show. It was hard for me to put those books down.

Oh for sure. They're awesome but they're definitely a commitment hahaha.  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Winniwyn

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 am
The John Wayne Cleaver books and Mirador series by Dan Wells

The Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede

Little Sister, The Heavenward Path, and The Water Trilogy by Kara Dalkey (The first two are unfortunately out of print the last time I checked but if you happen to run across them they're really fun reads)

The Ear The Eye and The Arm and House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Original Abhorson Trilogy by Garth Nix

Various Discword books by Terry Pratchett (Nightwatch and The Last Continent being my favorites)

The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper

Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo

I also read quite a few different Comics and Manga but I don't know if those would count in this thread or not.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:43 pm
Winniwyn
The John Wayne Cleaver books and Mirador series by Dan Wells

The Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede

Little Sister, The Heavenward Path, and The Water Trilogy by Kara Dalkey (The first two are unfortunately out of print the last time I checked but if you happen to run across them they're really fun reads)

The Ear The Eye and The Arm and House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Original Abhorson Trilogy by Garth Nix

Various Discword books by Terry Pratchett (Nightwatch and The Last Continent being my favorites)

The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper

Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo

I also read quite a few different Comics and Manga but I don't know if those would count in this thread or not.

It's a pretty chill thread. Anything counts. If the menu at your local fast food place is interesting enough it counts wink

I haven't read a single book on your list. Are those all fantasies? They sound like fantasies.  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Melena Rai

Magical Phantom

18,425 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Winter Guardian 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am
i am an avid fantasy - sci - fi reader 3nodding

The Mortal Instruments
The Dark Artifices
The Infernal Devices (all tied)

Beautiful Creatures Series

The Shannara series - (like 30 books in segments)

The Magic Kingdom for sale: Sold! series

The Black Jewels Trilogy

Unearthly series

50 Shades Series

i am sure there is more but i can't think of anymore right now  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:23 pm
I have more authors than books haha.
I'm one of those. I read a lot of Nicholas Sparks. Read one, you've read them all but I eat those things up. Sarah Dessen books too. I'm just the cheesy romance type.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and the books that followed (That Was Then, This Is Now, Tex, etc.) will always my all time fav though. My level of fanaticism for the books and all that is kinda like an anime obsession. I'm going to one of the Outsider's meetups in Tulsa someday.

Oh, and the Homecoming series by Cynthia Voigt.

I'm currently reading Room by Emma Donoghue. I broke a cardinal rule though and saw the movie before reading the book.  

Biyanka
Crew

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces