Welcome to Gaia! ::

Odd One Out

Back to Guilds

The sweet little slice of Gaia reserved for the bizarre, twisted, and/or bored. 

Tags: Random, Debate, Discussion, Chat, Competitions 

Reply Main Forum
I hate yelling at customer service people!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you worked in customer services?
  Yes - Loved it
  Yes - Hated it
  Yes - I'm indifferent
  Nope!
View Results

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:14 pm
Particularly because I used to work in customer service.

But damnit the book I ordered never showed up and I had to yell at the poor person to get it replaced. You don't mess with a Funky and her reading materials!!! gonk

(Typing angry emails still counts as yelling, right? I'm sure they read it in an angry voice.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:46 pm
Oooh, I'm sure that as long as you weren't overtly rude, it was fine to communicate the way you did! If something goes wrong and you don't mention it, they'll never be able to fix the problem for you, right?

I worked a couple different positions in a craft store - very close to the customers - and I think that because I was respectful as an employee, there was sort of a mutual understanding between myself and the folks on the other side of the counter. It feels like as long as there's some degree of openness, we're willing to try that little bit harder to meet one another halfway.

I'll definitely say that it was kind of sad sometimes. As a retail employee I expected the worst - I braced myself to be treated badly and badmouthed. But... maybe it was just where I worked... but the customers would sometimes thank me a little too sincerely for being decent? Some of the ladies who had been working in the store for a couple of decades had long since lost their patience and often gave those poor craftspeople an unnecessary earful. And I think that if someone's gonna preemptively give you a hard time... maybe it's okay to be kind of curt with them, haha. They're breaking that fragile social contract right off the bat!  

PangoPrite

Anxious Regular

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:05 pm
Yeah for real. I think what got me about this interaction wasn't that they were preemptively jerks, but that they expected me to put in a lot of work to fix the problem. And I'm like hey, your company messed up, your company's gotta fix it, not me.

They absolutely insisted so I had to take time out of my work day to hunt down phone numbers and call people and such o____o Ugh.

Now they've resent my product but I don't trust it to arrive after all that hahah  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:51 pm
Funkyblueeyes

But damnit the book I ordered never showed up and I had to yell at the poor person to get it replaced. You don't mess with a Funky and her reading materials!!! gonk

(Typing angry emails still counts as yelling, right? I'm sure they read it in an angry voice.)

I work in Customer Service and I love angry customers because I'm so good at calming them down. I impress myself, sometimes.  

Risen-Rival

Liberal Abductee

6,950 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 pm
Dooksta123
Funkyblueeyes

I work in Customer Service and I love angry customers because I'm so good at calming them down. I impress myself, sometimes.

Omg customer service people like you are the best.
My last Fido guy was like that, except then Fido kept screwing me afterward anyway. BUT when I called him I was ready to break up with Fido for good and his magic touch kept me going.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:57 pm
Funkyblueeyes
Dooksta123
Funkyblueeyes

Omg customer service people like you are the best.
My last Fido guy was like that, except then Fido kept screwing me afterward anyway. BUT when I called him I was ready to break up with Fido for good and his magic touch kept me going.

This is how we do it.  

Risen-Rival

Liberal Abductee

6,950 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Baddicus B itch

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 pm
I try to be extra nice to CS folk, but I have my days. As a customer service person, though, I was one sassy, passive-aggressive worker, especially when I worked in retail. Working in coffee was the best because if you were ever down you could do a line of espresso shots for free  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 pm
disagree with potentially ruining somebodies day over something they have no control over

csr's literally have no control over whatever problems arise yet they get screamed at all day long  

hamburger cat

Aged Codger

Bad Breath Lies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:23 am
everyone's allowed to have an occasional bad day.
it's different than those than come in up in arms flipping out at cashiers every time they're in the store.
when you work as a cashier in a place where most people come in at least once a week, such as a supermarket, you can tell which ones are just the chronic awful people  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:43 am
hamburger cat
disagree with potentially ruining somebodies day over something they have no control over

csr's literally have no control over whatever problems arise yet they get screamed at all day long

Oh for sure I'm never a jerk. But straight up a lot of companies don't give you any options unless you yell at them. It was like that when I worked at Safeway. Keep saying no unless they start yelling and then say yes. rolleyes  

Funkyblueeyes
Captain

Ignesco

Dapper Prophet

5,925 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:07 am
I get where you're coming from completely - just set a line. I've lived through the agony that is customer service. It always sucks to get s**t from somebody, so I always try to be reasonable.

But, as a customer, if you're getting screwed in one way or another, to be honest, the best way to close the situation is to get a bit fiery about it. Not clawing necks and damning mothers type of fiery, but making your point clear is much more effective than being kind for the sake of kindness.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:16 pm
I always treat people how I'd want to be treated, whether I was the customer or the employee, and nothing's your fault.  

Starving Filmmaker

Mega Loiterer

7,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Contributor 150
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items