Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

thrivis

Bashful Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am
Dels Shells
This is an OPEN role play with Thrivis' Dellinger.
Del welcomes you to the beach.

User Image

Del would like to try a shell-reading game with other soquili and animals.
All are welcome to play. Anyone who'd like to play should roll three 6 sided dice when their character “draws three shells” from the bucket. Del will try to extrapolate a meaning out of it (like those paper fortune teller games).

Guests may ask for for one of four readings:
Love
Family
Friendship
Self
Thrivis' Teepee
User Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 am
Thurga had been telling him for weeks he needed to socialize, and he decided he would do so his own way. This way. Dellinger would offer to read shells. He had no real prophetic power, but long ago, when he schooled with a community of his own, reading each other’s shells was a fun little ice breaker. He liked the idea of something nostalgic introducing him to other soquili and animals.

He asked his family to mention shell reading on the day after next full moon to passers by. Thurga was a little disappointed that he chose such an indirect way to invite someone over, but Del knew what he was doing. He imagined the other soquili would gossip amongst themselves about it. And maybe, the curious ones, the analytical ones, and the ones intrigued by looking for signs would come see what his readings were all about. That was a good start, he thought.

Well, the day was here. The full moon had sunk gracefully behind the trees and the sun was rising, hugging the beach with her warm golden rays. He took great care to prepare well for this day. He picked only the strangest and unique shells that “spoke” to him, assigned meanings from general to specific to each one. Based on Thurga’s suggestions, he picked some funny looking shells too, for quirky or entertaining meanings. He had even hassled his kawani girl the day before, and she figured out he wanted a picture of shells. She had built a little post, nailed a plank to it, and painted a red king crown shell onto it. Due to the lack of specific language it wasn’t really what he wanted. He wasn’t a fan of the color choice, and it was just one crude shell, but beggars can’t be choosers and it at least got the point across.

As the sun rose higher and the day warmed up, he wondered to himself if anyone would show. He knew enough about the surrounding are that the beach was teeming with live, in the water and out. But he started to doubt himself. Maybe no one was interested, or maybe they had plans. Or maybe they more important things to do than meet with a stranger and play with shells. He reminded himself to be patient. To be anxious was unlike him, and he hated the feeling. If even just one soul showed up to check out his game, that would be enough, and the day was still young.

He waited patiently in the shallow water of the beach between the low tide and the deep drop off the shelf so he could meet with visitors both land dwelling and waterborne. He kept his little bucket of choice shells floating in the calm water next to him for visitors to choose from. On the edge of the shelf, the shell sign was planted firmly in the sand, a waterside beacon for the curious and the interested.

[497]  

thrivis

Bashful Cultist

magnadearel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A pale mare paced down the beach. She was far from her accustomed territory she guarded carefully. Mainly it was little vacation, or so she told herself, a chance to get out and explore a little.

Meredith alternated between swimming and walking along the beach. At the moment she was walking, her pelt only faintly damp from her last swim. It was nice to stretch her muscles and not worry when she saw anyone new if they were harming the beach. Not that she'd ignore any if they were, but perhaps she wouldn't be quite as aggressive about it. Or so she hoped.

As she came around a bend she spotted an odd sight. An obviously aquatic pony had set up shop at the edge of shallows. Slowly she came closer and tried to make out what was beside him. A sign it looked like, with an odd shell painted upon it, and what looked like a bucket.

Eventually she was close enough to speak and not have to yell to be heard. "Excuse me. What are you doing?" He did appear to be waiting for something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:07 pm

A large dark angeni leasuirely moved down the beach, his naturally long strides made it hard for his companion to keep up. He didn't care much about that though, he expected anyone worth their salt to keep up or leave him alone. He looked out of place on the pale sand however, his companion looked right at home.

His thankless job had soured his thoughts about the general public but it was a duty that he had to carry out for the sake of his own sanity. Angry people had loud and large spirits that gave him the largest of headaches. His companion gave no twangs of anger even if he had tried to blow him off in the least polite way, his small stature and over frinedliness remained him of his adopted brother, he shuddered at the thought of how much they were alike. "I've told you before, if you have nothing for me, then I have nothing to give you." His glowing red eyes darted to his companion in annoyance.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The small nixie tried his very best to keep up alongside Mr.Wrath almost having to break into a trot to keep up. Nemesis' stink eye unsettled him a little bit but he persisted on with trying to show him the wonders of the seaside as he was convinced that Nemesis had never had a fun day in his life. The gift of joy and happy memories was a greater treasure than any monetary contribution in his eyes. He worried about being able to protect his family from those who would harm them. Those who enjoyed putting a stop to happy endings or as he viewed them, happy continuations. His vibrant fins and glossy mask reflected the bright sun causing his companion to squint at him in irritation even more, the sun irritated his eyes enough as it was. He gave a sheepish smile and moved his gaze from Nemesis nervously, the angeni's tolerance of his presence was dwindling rather quickly. In the distance he spotted a mer with a sign and a bucket and he stopped in his tracks to briefly stare at the scene before him. A pale beautiful aquatic mer was stood near him, maybe they knew each other?

His companion did not stop for him and continued to walk on. Something inside Khan told him that there is something rather fishy going on but another part of him was excited to meet the strangers to see what was going on. He did not consider that it may be rude to butt into a conversation. "Hello? What's this then?" He stood next to the mer, hooves submerged in the water, gently flicking some water over his back. The cooling sensation gave him relief from the sun, he did not notice the long and awkward sigh that escaped his mouth in that moment. He turned to Nemesis who had wandered quite far down the beach now, even though Khan had to try really hard to keep up with him, he was still surprised about how far Nemesis had traveled. He inhaled deeply before beckonning to his companion, "Oi, come over here for a sec!"

Quote:
Very cute RP and Art. biggrin
I wanted to join but wasn't sure which characters to throw in, so I randomised it. Some of the actions of my characters will be randomised for fun. Really lovely concept. ^^

Yumitoko II
Crew

Eloquent Genius

14,575 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200

thrivis

Bashful Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:51 am
Dellinger amused himself watching the wind rustle through the palm trees as he hung out by his sign. Never one to be pessimistic for long, he found himself enjoying the solitude. Even if no one showed up, a nice day is a nice day, and the breeze between land and sea was refreshing. His eyes soon fell upon a pale blue white flicker, pacing toward him. Ah, he thought cheerfully. My first customer! He flicked the tips of his tail out and and down into the calm water as he saw the mare approach, the only sign he might be nervous about introducing someone to a part of his culture. She looked almost ghostly with the sun radiating off her pale color. As she drew closer, he realized she was sea-faring, like him. Very nice start, he thought happily. Perhaps she’d have good information about places she’s traveled, interesting customs of her own people. He resisted asking a thousand questions, though.

He leaned his forelegs casually in the shallow water of the shelf, returning her query with a cheerful greeting. “Hello! Well, my name is Dellinger, and I’m here offering to read shells. It’s a game with no losers. It’s a novelty, really. Something my people would do at parties. But it gets people together and everyone learns about themselves and each other.”

"Oh!" Del hadn't noticed the nixie approaching while he was focused on the mare. Del jumped when the nixie spoke and splashed lightly into the water next to the mare. He frowned a little as the nixie flicked water over himself and sighed indulgently. He shook it off though, reminding himself that manners and what was considered rude were both cultural, and not everyone was as reclusive as he tended to be. He also tended to dismiss the dry heat of day outside the water, forgetting that those on land were sometimes at the mercy of the sun. This was getting good though, he thought to himself. Perhaps the shells have something very interesting to say about both of these guests. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you come up. Would you like to play the shell reading game too? You’d have to wait your turn of course.”

He didn’t see the dark shadow along the beach until the nixie called over to the dark stallion. The shadow seemed to loom ominously on the bright sunny beach. Until that moment, Del thought anyone could feel at home on the beach. But today he suspected the dark one had to be uncomfortable. A coat black as midnight, absorbing every day of the sun, and those downy wings? All that had to be great for keeping warm. Keeping cool? Del doubted it.

He reminded himself to be a good host. He sat up a little straighter, adopting what he thought was a ‘professional’ posture and addressed both his guests graciously. “Oh, forgive me, if anyone needs to refresh themselves or take a break, there’s a freshwater delta close by north of here to bathe in. And following the delta to its source will bring you to the spring with fresh cold drinking water. Just mind the jungle cats, they can be a bit territorial but they’re small and tend to stay out from under hoof.”

Am I trying too hard, he wondered briefly. He imagined he sounded like a tour guide.

[561]

magnadearel

Yumitoko II
d’aaaw thank you! heart

Thank you both for giving something super random a try! biggrin I hope the readings are fun~~~ xd  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 pm
        User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Ctet was still taking her time adventuring the world, and she has seen a lot throughout her time away from the herd. As much as she knew she should go back, there was a calling to her to continue her explorations. Back home, she would just be stuck dong nothing other than starting a family anyways. She felt like there was so much the world had to offer; stuff way more than settling down and being a mother.

She found herself on the beach, sand under her hooves. The mare gave a smile. It was so calm and surreal out here. If only she could just stay here forever. The sun was up, and it was warm. It was way better than the mountains or the shaded woods. "If only I chose to stay here for a few days. But what if I end up liking this beach way too much?" She was conflicted.

However, Ctet then spotted a small collective of strangers gathered by the water. Hmm? Was that an aquatic Soquili? Ctet never met one before, and she was astounded. The breed was stunning, and she headed toward their way without hesitation. She had to know what it was like to be living in the water basically all the time. Probably the same thing as living on land all the time.

But then there was also an icy looking female in the crowd, and her features were interesting as well. Not to mention that tail! And the stallion who looked dark, but with the wings. He reminded her of her childhood friend. She wondered what ever happened to him. And then the little mini. What an odd group.

WORDS: 280

xKOVAKtheWOLFx
Crew

Trash

magnadearel rolled 3 6-sided dice: 4, 2, 5 Total: 11 (3-18)

magnadearel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 pm
She flicked her tail slowly as the mer introduced himself. Her paws were slowly sinking into the sand when the waves came in. Meredith tilted her head as he mentioned reading the shells. She'd never heard of any such thing, but then again she was no mer. Maybe it was something only they did. To her the shells were just pretty, not something to "read".

"I see. My name is Meredith. I guess if you want to. What kind of stuff do they read? Like friendship?" She reached into the floating bucket and pulled three shells out. The mare eyed them curiously, wondering what he would see in them. She was interested in a friendship reading. Her work was a lonely one, and some friendly company might be nice.

She glanced over as a nixie stopped by. There was another, but he seemed rather intent upon continuing on his way.

Thrivis
My pleasure! It looked fun! =D
Edited for you! Does that work?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 am
  • Dusty blue nutmeg
  • Red and black striped cockle
  • Rose petal tellin

Del arranged the shells in an evenly spaced row in the sand. “Hmmmm,” he cooed thoughtfully, considering each one.

“The shells see apprehension on your part, and a little contradiction. Perhaps it’s difficult for you to open up to others. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes it can be frustrating when others don’t understand you need your space. Some folk get along well in crowds and they starve inside when they’re not surrounded by people all the time, but you shouldn’t feel like you have to be that way too if it doesn’t feel natural. A few far flung friends rarely seen are still friends, and perhaps for your personality, you might prefer friendship to be more of a treasure hunt than a party. And friendship is a treasure that can shine for a lifetime. It’s worth waiting for, being patient for, and if others don’t understand that it’s their loss.”

Once the reading was completed, he looked up at the mare. “So, what did you think?” He smiled warmly. “It’s okay if they’re wrong. Shells aren’t always very smart, and by definition, they’re always random.” He thought about reading his own shells sometime. He’ll have to teach his students one of these days.

magnadearel
perfect thank you! biggrin

As his focus returned to the soquili gathering around him, he noticed another guest a ways up the beach, watching curiously. He imagined the sight must seem at least a little strange, maybe even a little silly. A bunch of total strangers gathering on the beach. He puts a hoof up in greeting and waves cheerfully to her, welcoming her in case she felt she needed permission before approaching.

xKOVAKtheWOLFx

[275]  

thrivis

Bashful Cultist

magnadearel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:10 am
She clicked her ears back and forward as he hummed thoughtfully. Meredith shifted on her paws slowly. Her long graceful tail slowly waved behind her. She felt almost silly waiting, like the foals too old for those little foal games and know it. Why had she asked? It was too late to back out now though, so she waited patiently.

Meredith stilled as she listened to the mer make his prediction. She didn’t really believe in hocus pocus or powers, but she felt that this reading was somehow correct. He could have simply been using powers of observation and not any arcane means. She ducked her head awkwardly when he asked for her opinion of his reading. What should she say? She didn’t want to sound like a fool in front of anyone here.

“I see. I guess time will tell? Thank you for the reading.” Meredith backed up to allow more room around the mer for other querists. She didn't go far as she wanted to listen to what others got too.

(Meredith is open for interactions if anyone wants to talk with her. ^_^ )  
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games