Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:59 pm
[19.02.183]

V' knew this feeling by now, the rush in her blood, the tension in her muscles, the way her emotions flared brighter than ever, and the way Lithustoth practically bit the heads off anyone who spoke to her in a way that rubbed her nerves wrong.

Flight.

This would be her fourth now, nobody had expected her last two to result in a clutch but it had been just over a turn since her first flight and so - with some assumptions drawn from firelizards - she knew that eyes were on them now.

On the morning that she was sure would be The Morning V' stepped out onto her ledge to face down a restless, orange-eyed Lithustoth.

"Now listen here, Lith."

Lithustoth glared at her, radiating agitation.

"Yeah, I know." V' folded her arms over her chest but then quickly unfolded them again and smoothed a hand back over her head, it was freezing out here but she was sweating. "You're going to fly as long and as hard as you can; no getting impressed by a pretty blue tail this time, you're going to fly until you're ready to drop and then you're going to choose the strongest."

Yes. Lithustoth's staccato response was so intense that it was almost painful. The strongest. I know. I am more experienced now. I will push myself. I will choose only when I must.

V' nodded at the response rather stoically but that lasted all of a moment before she stepped up to grab her dragon's face and to press a kiss to her muzzle. "You'll be great, you always are."

Yes, she always was.

It was later in the day, near sunset, but there was no sun visible in the skies now. Lithustoth sat on her ledge statue still but for the swishing of her tail, which disturbed the heavy snowfall that tumbled over Fort muffling all sound and obscuring vision.

A challenge, then, that would be best answered by the strong and the daring - just what she needed.

Lithustoth raised her head and let out a sharp high call, her voice and crackling mental presence slashing through the peace of the late afternoon like the keenest of blades. Are you bold enough to chase when you can barely see? she demanded of the Weyr's males. If you are, come! Prove your mettle! With that and another bugle Lithustoth launched herself up into the air and through the fat snowflakes as straight, swift, and true as an arrow.

OOC

Welcome to Lithustoth's flight!

Entry requirements are indicated in the Sign Up Thread.

This flight will be split into rounds and at the end Lithustoth will choose from amongst the most impressive males.

Rounds will usually last about 24hrs and the flight will probably last around a week to a week and a half; I will give a warning when the end is nigh!

IC posts are not necessary but they will net you bonus points with Lith - she's much more likely to choose a male who rolled well and interacted with her over one who only rolled well. If you don't have time to fill in the RP post every time though do try to get in the roll!

Pay attention to the round, as different dragons will roll different dice at different times. Sometimes there will also be a plus or minus to a colour's rolls.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:19 pm
Round One - Launch!

Blues roll: 4d4
Browns roll: 2d6
Bronzes roll: 1d12

Round two will be no earlier than this time tomorrow, but may be later.  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

TawnyAngel rolled 1 12-sided dice: 8 Total: 8 (1-12)

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm
Bronze Liarth

You know it, beautiful. With this rather cocky declaration Liarth launched himself from his ledge and powered upwards with powerful beats of his wings that sent the snow swirling chaotically around him.

_________

Running total: 8  
Melomar rolled 1 12-sided dice: 9 Total: 9 (1-12)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:42 pm
Bronze Amaryssoth

He roared his enthusiastic answer to Lithustoth's challenge. He was always game for a good Flight and there was an exciting thrill in the air that was a little different. Maybe it was just the heavy snow rattling his bones.

D'io was on the ledge with him, the cold weather painting his face pink. "Don't show off unless you know Lith is watching. Who cares what the other's think?"

I know. And I'm ready! Amaryssoth launched his sleek, brightly colored body into the air and for him the flight had begun!

- - -

Running total: 9  

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

magnadearel rolled 4 4-sided dice: 3, 3, 3, 4 Total: 13 (4-16)

magnadearel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 pm
Blue Lerenth

The blue had been keeping an eye on a certain green. It was clear she was getting proddy. Lerenth felt the tension in the air as he waited. Patiently. Quietly. Biding his time.

At dusk her siren's call came.

Lerenth lifted his head with a deep inhale, snorting snowflakes up his nostrils. F'ked already knew what was afoot. Good luck, he called to his dragon. The blue lifted to his feet.

I will rise to any challenge for you Lithustoth. Even if I cannot see you, I can still sense your beauty. Lerenth gave a soft croon as he launched off his ledge.

Running Total: 13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:45 am
Although she could not see her suitors Lithustoth could feel them behind her, and she could certainly hear them. Spurred on and emboldened by the attention the deep-chested green changed course abruptly near the watch heights, now racing towards the peaks of the mountain range rather than seeking to climb above them. With poor visibility how closely would they chase her? Would they stick close, or play it safe?

Not a bad start Amaryssoth, but are you quick enough to keep up with me now? she goaded the large bronze as she took a tight turn around a peak and then dived sharply down the near sheer side of it.

Another voice caught her attention then and she turned her mind to Lerenth; she remembered him, or V' remembered him, and at the moment that was more or less one and the same. Good, good, but can you prove yourself worthy of me again? We shall see!

Round 2 - Through the peaks!

Lithustoth is weaving around the peaks of the mountains and just made a steep dive, can you keep up? Each colour had two options this turn; you can either hold back a little or try to stick as close to Lith as you can, but if you do this you risk a near miss with a peak or the cliff face that will cost you distance!

Blue 'safe' route: 2d10
Blue 'risky' route: 2d12. If you roll a 1, you lose 5 from your total roll. If you succeed however, Lith will be impressed.

Brown/Bronze 'safe' route: 2d8
Brown/Bronze 'risky' route: 2d10 If you roll a 1, you lose 5 from your total roll. If you succeed however, Lith will be impressed.

Bronze Liarth: 8
Bronze Amaryssoth: 9
Blue Lerenth: 13

Round three will be no earlier than this time tomorrow, but may be later.  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

ChaosTheories rolled 2 12-sided dice: 3, 10 Total: 13 (2-24)

ChaosTheories

Obsessive Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 am
Blue Okath

The blue had been fast asleep. At first he thought the call was a dream, so he tried to settle back down, but a restlessness within him compelled him to double check. A green had indeed risen! Ahh, and it was glowing Lithustoth who flew in the shadows of the night. A green who had provided the weyr with new hatchlings. Okath shook himself off and assessed the situation. It would fill him with pride to catch her.

He would have to listen carefully and take a risk to catch up. He launched himself into the air and beat his wings hard. She called to the other suitors and oh, she was so far away! In the mountains, too. This would call for some difficult flying.

"Lithustoth, I am late! But the best is saved for last, and I will show you!"

Running Total: 13  
TawnyAngel rolled 2 10-sided dice: 7, 2 Total: 9 (2-20)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:15 am
Bronze Liarth

Although he had been amongst the first to launch Liarth soon found himself falling behind as swift blues rushed past him. This wasn't too much of a worry though, his time to shine would come a little later on when the smaller dragons were beginning to tire - though as with any green flight he wouldn't get to flex his muscles to their limit.

As Lithustoth uttered another challenge Liarth bugled with delight and swerved to follow behind her as best his could, he could barely see her in the heavy snowfall but he could see the males who were closer and the billows of disturbed snow and that was enough for now. Lovely moves Lithustoth, but it'll take more than that to challenge me!

_________

Risky route!

Running total: 8 + 9 = 17  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Melomar rolled 2 10-sided dice: 8, 6 Total: 14 (2-20)

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:52 am
Bronze Amaryssoth pants

(( WEE WOO WEE WOO WEE WOO ))

Dearest Amaryssoth, what in Faranth's name are you doing? D'io's shock was enhanced by something like a bitter taste on the tongue. Fear, perhaps? Lith's maneuver was not entirely shocking but the bronzes were following her into the mountains, around their peaks, not above them!

Why, I am following her through the mountains! This seemed like a statement of the obvious, and the bronze made doubly sure his tone was dripping with sarcasm.

Are you soft in the head?!

MY Rider of all people should not be questioning my sanity. Lithustoth is special. She deserves only the best, and those who want to be the best. I don't intend to be the latter, Amaryssoth retorted. He was in enough control to say so, and with indignation.

You're right, of course. D'io's sigh was palpable. He was rowdy himself at times but he feared for his dragon's life at this time. However, Amaryssoth was not about to say no to her demands, and neither was he. Then let us catch her together! He got himself comfortable on a couch and followed more closely with his inner eye. Perhaps together they would catch this lovely, special green.

Lithustoth, I am about to do something stupid just for you!

Oh don't say it like that.

Too late!

- - - - -

The Idiot Duo's Running Total: 9 + 14 = 23  
magnadearel rolled 2 12-sided dice: 8, 6 Total: 14 (2-24)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:37 am
Blue Lerenth - risky all the way!

The quiet blue couldn't help but be fascinated by the fiery green. Yes I can, he told her quietly. Maybe he wasn't as flashy as the bronzes, but he would show them up in different ways! They danced among the peaks as they followed Lithustoth.

When the green took a steep dive, Lerenth didn't hesitate. He folded his wings mostly close and nosed down. The wind whistled around his head knobs and folded wings. This was what dragons were born to do! His eyes whirled with purple as peaks and cliffs raced past him.

Running Total: 13 + 14 = 27

magnadearel

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:33 pm
Well, this is a tricky one to report on!

Cimarath broadcasted his words, amusement, and excitement back to the Weyr as he skimmed along above and to the right of Lithustoth just at the edge of visual range - not all that far in this weather.

So far as I can see.... Yes that's Lerenth in the lead! Some of you might remember that this unassuming blue won Lithustoth's maiden flight, and in doing so sired Pern's first green clutch! Can he do it again today? The small white hummed and snaked his head around, falling back a little as he scanned for the next suitor. Ahha, yes! Not far behind we have Amaryssoth, esteemed Weyrsecond and well known powerhouse - a combination of acceleration power with those big shoulders and daring seem to be serving him well at the moment. A little further back is Weyrleader Liarth, not the biggest of bronzes but like Amaryssoth he seems to be taking some risks to get closer to Lithustoth and- Ah-ha! Coming up from the Weyr we have blue Okath, late to the flight but don't count him out - he's already overtaken a lot of the other competitors!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:38 pm
Better late than never Okath, Lithustoth crooned with a brief glance backwards; she could only see four males in the sky but she knew there were others, they were just too far back for her to pick out their shapes in the sky.

Liarth's words earned a snort and a feeling of glee and exhilaration. I'll show you a challenge, mighty leader. Try not to embarrass yourself. She already knew that she wouldn't choose him, not unless he pulled off something seriously fantastic and even then only maybe, but there was no need to let him know that - having one of the Weyrleaders hanging on her every motion was satisfying to say the least.

As for the Weyrsecond- I love stupid things, when they're for me, she laughed, her mind crackling against Amaryssoth's with almost painful intensity, she liked him and her rider liked his rider - more or less in the latter case. Do you have any other stupid things stored up for me?

Although Lerenth was less showy than the others Lithustoth remained very fond of him and sent him a feeling of encouragement. Come on then, show me!

And with that Lithustoth curved her course sharply once more, pointed muzzle pulled back into a rictus of determination as she sought greater height. Let's see how long all of you can keep this up!

As the minutes rushed passed and the climb continued in a blur of adrenaline the wind began to pick up, tossing the tumbling snow in chaotic patterns and buffeting the racing dragons. Onward and onward Lithustoth flew, hearts beating like frenetic drums and chest heaving like bellows; higher, further, faster, more! She wanted them, she could choose right now, but whenever her thoughts wavered in that direction a sharp dig from her rider's mind drove her on anew. Fly, fly until she could fly no more, that was what she had to do for her Weyr - she would not fail her people.

Round 3 - Onward and upward!

In this long ascent the speed of blues is offset by the buffeting they take from the wind. Browns and bronzes may not be as fast, but they are suffering less from the increasingly inclement conditions.

All colours: 2d12

Running Totals
Bronze Liarth: 17*
Bronze Amaryssoth: 23*
Blue Lerenth: 27*
Blue Okath: 13*

When you have a star * by your running total you have an inspiration point! You have caught Lithustoth's attention either by appealing to her personality through pure RP, or through taking a risky route. You can use this to your advantage in one of two ways:

1) You can spend your point to re-roll any one die at any time, if for example you rolled 2d10 in one round and got a 2 and a 9 you could make another post to re-roll that 2 with another d10. Your total for that round would be 9 + the new result, unless you roll lower in which case you keep your initial roll. It's up to you how you RP that out; you can just use the re-roll as an OOC mechanical thing, or you can have your dragon fumble a bit but then (depending on the re-roll) dig deep and push ahead with style in your re-roll post.
2) You can wait for a special Inspiration moment, which will be posted by Lithustoth. This will give you a chance to roll an extra die on a particular round, separate to your main roll as the die may not be of the same size. There will be at least one of these before the end of the flight, and I'll announce after such a moment if there are no more to come so you don't end up hanging onto points for no reason.

When you spend a point the star will be removed from beside your name.

Round four will be no earlier than this time tomorrow, but may be later.  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

magnadearel rolled 2 12-sided dice: 6, 12 Total: 18 (2-24)

magnadearel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:15 pm
Blue Lerenth

Lerenth crooned fondly to the green. His hearts yearned for her. You are the best Lithustoth. It should be you leading the weyr. His sense of priority was a little thrown off by a breeding green, but in his mind the first female to fly after the last retired or went between was the one to lead the weyr.

The green pointed her nose upward and Lerenth followed suit. He wasn't as hefty as the bronzes and as they went upward the wind tried to play with him. It tried to toss the blue around like it would a leaf. Lerenth thrummed and kept his eyes on the tail of the green, righting himself every time the wind tried to blow him off course.

Running Total: 13 + 14 +18 = 45

Melomar rolled 2 12-sided dice: 11, 6 Total: 17 (2-24)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 pm
Bronze Amaryssoth

- - -

She liked my 'stupid' comment!

Of course she did.

Maybe we'll find out a little later, Amaryssoth replied to the glowing green with a growling chuckle. He thought he could just barely make out her form taking a sharp turn upward. Lithustoth, this is all for you. The cheerily colored bronze cheerfully followed Lithustoth upward. His closest rival at this point, Blue Lerenth, did the same. So far, it was quite close between the two. Whoever caught the green would have given everything in his power to do so. There would be no lucky catches today.

The altitude climbed rapidly. The cold, the howling wind and blasting snow, the thinning atmosphere, all played mercilessly against the bronze. The wind tried to throw him into the cliff face. Ice tried to form on his wings and loose his control. But he refused to give up. If Lerenth could keep it up, so could he!

- - -

Running total: 23 + 17 = 40  

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

TawnyAngel rolled 2 12-sided dice: 11, 6 Total: 17 (2-24)

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:07 pm
Bronze Liarth

You know I'd never disappoint you like that, Liarth grinned as he curved his path upward after Lithustoth.

As their climb continued the going started to get harder, it wasn't bad enough to throw him off yet but he was definitely having to put more effort into staying on course.

Bronze Liarth: 17 + 17 = 34  
Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces