Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

magnadearel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:27 pm
TawnyAngel

User Image

A loud growl came from the belly of the green that trotted along at his side. He'd just finished bathing her in time for her announce she was starving. T'ves quickly tided the supplies and took his growing dragon toward the feeding stations.

Azelth pranced eagerly at his side. Now remember Mine. I only want those best cuts. She'd been very picky about which meats and meat cuts she allowed him to feed her. By now he knew what she liked and that she'd accept nothing less.

However as they approached the tables, there appeared to be a distinct lack. Azelth's eyes roamed over the tables, but she came up empty. She gave a sad creel toward her rider. T'ves checked under several piles but in the end he gave a shrug. "I don't see any. Now what?" The tone of his voice said he hope she'd accept something else.

The green settled down and wrapped her tail primly around her paws. This is where others come in handy my dear. Why don't you ask him over there? She pointed her nose towards L'ux. T'ves looked over and sighed. He approached the other rider and coughed. "Uh hey, do you have any of those juicy back cuts of meat?"

WC: 209

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:16 pm
magnadearel

The last month had gone by in a blur of chopping meat, oily hands, classes, classes, and more classes. And of course a little round blue bundle of excited squeaks, nuzzles, and love! No offence to his clutchmates but L'ux was convinced that Cochith was clearly ob-jec-tive-ly the pick of the bunch, in fact he was the best dragon ever! He was even the best dragon ever when L'ux was cleaning up his crap, though he wasn't going to pretend that he wouldn't skip that one if he was allowed to.

Now that Cochith was awake a little bit more - which was to say slightly less than a lazy kitchen feline - everything just seemed to be growing more and more intense, sometimes the blue's passionate excitement for life was almost overwhelming but it was all worth it, all way more than worth it, and L'ux still found himself just grinning like an idiot as he watched the blue do something simple. Current simple thing was chomp his way appreciatively through a bucket of meat, the rate they were growing at meant they ate a huge amount for their size and sometimes L'ux was a bit surprised none of them had burst.

I know how much I need! Cochith reassured his rider warmly as he took another chunk of the tasty flesh from his hand - the meat was good, his hide wasn't itchy right now, and once he'd eaten he could get L'ux to give him a quick wash, then curl up and maybe sleep again in a little bit - today was a good day indeed!

Yep, today was another-

A clearing of a throat, and there was T'ves. T'ves was.... L'ux still didn't really know what his problem was but they all had to live together for the next ten-ish months so he was trying to be polite even to the couple of his classmates that he didn't think that much of. Anyway, Cochith liked pretty much everyone.

"Oh, hey T'ves." L'ux acknowledged the younger weyrling with a nod and a slight smile. "Uhh, back cuts?" For Azelth he guessed, she seemed like a bit of a demanding one. He could see quite a few of those cuts in the bucket, it was one of the reasons he'd picked it, but honestly Cochith wasn't that particular about his food so....

Yes, I have some pieces like that! Cochith shared, his still untrained mental voice spilling out around the area in general rather than targeting only the three people he'd been trying to talk to. You can have them if you want Azelth, if you can ask your rider to bring another bucket over? He was still pretty hungry right now, if he gave away the juicy back cuts he'd definitely need a top up.

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

magnadearel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:19 pm
TawnyAngel

He wasn’t sure at first what his dragon was aiming for by asking a fellow weyrling. Didn’t he need to eat too? T’ves shifted awkwardly and tried to only watch L’ux from the corner of his eye. He still had a hard time interacting with the others. Fitting in was not his forte.

Thank you so much Cochith! She said to her sibling. It wasn’t the man who answered him, but his own dragon. Azelth hummed with delight as she looked toward her rider. Cochith has kindly offered to share his if you’ll bring him another bucket of meat to replace it Mine. This sounded like a completely perfect and reasonable trade to her. She looked to her rider expectantly.

T’ves stood there a moment mulling it over before nodding slowly. He went back to the table and picked a full bucket as he could find. Hopefully the blue wouldn’t be nearly as fussy as Azelth. “Thanks,” he muttered to L’ux as he brought the bucket over to them.

Don’t you see Mine? The question startled him. You can get others to help you reach your goal. Alone you never would have gotten that meat for me, but by harnessing others no goal is too far.

WC: 206

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:59 pm
magnadearel

Right. So. Conversation. As T'ves returned L'ux nodded amicably; "No problem, seems Cochith's happy to share the tender bits. Guess no so many choice cuts available today hu? Or everyone else just got there first maybe?" Personally he thought it'd done Azelth good to learn to be less picky but there was time for that in future he guessed, nobody was going to put up with her just taking the best bits from an animal and leaving the rest.

You're welcome Azelth! Cochith warbled melodically, reaching into the first bucket as he spoke to fetch out a nice looking cut, which he then set down on the ground for Azelth to take. Sharing meat together is nice, I think it makes it taste better - do you? Cochith liked all of his siblings but there were some his particularly admired and Azelth was one of those - she was so clever and stylish! - so while her opinion wouldn't change his own he was still very interested in what it might be.

L'ux smiled crookedly at Cochith's thoughts and reached down to give him a scratch between the wings, at least one of them was finding it easy to make conversation! "So uh, how're you adjusting in general now we're a couple of months in?" That seemed like a pretty safe question. "I mean, I know you weyrbrats grow up with being a rider in mind your whole life but it's still got to be a shock right? Having another voice in your mind and all."

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

magnadearel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 pm
TawnyAngel

Don’t you think they are in the way? Other than his brother he’d always done things on his own. He wanted to be the best. If he assumed everyone else did too, didn’t that make them rivals? T’ves was confused by his dragon’s thought, but the blue had shared didn’t he?

“She took extra long with her bath,” he muttered softly by way of explanation. Everyone else had finished or come here first and grabbed all the best buckets. Azelth heaved a sigh at her rider. He was still so thick headed. Of course some want the same thing you do and they are of course rivals. There are others though who aren’t. She paused a moment to think. Think of them more like steps if you will. They won’t get into your way but will help you get where you’re going. Does that make sense?

When she put it that way, it almost did. The green trilled as she accepted the meat. Delicately she began to chew, politely ignoring the dirt now on it. While she would have preferred not to have dirt-n-meat, he had offered to share. Indeed it does dear brother. I am lucky to have you here to share it with me. Have you and yours been well? What did you think of today’s lesson?

T’ves simply stood with his arms awkwardly at his sides. He glanced at L’ux when the other boy began asking questions. It was……….. He wasn’t sure. It was distinctly uncomfortable to have a female voice in his head, when it should have been male. His hand went to the scars on one arm unconsciously for a moment before he dropped the hand back to his side.

“Dunnat matter if yur ah weyrbrat nor not.” Sure weyrbrats grew up with thinking they’d impress, but how could anyone or thing prepare you for it?

WC: 310

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:36 pm
magnadearel

Shards, had he been this surly when he was - how old was T'ves? Fifteen? Sixteen? Something around that anyway, and he was pretty sharding sure he hadn't been! True he'd've probably got a hiding if he had been that surly but still, he hadn't been, and really he couldn't get his head around why T'ves was.

"Cochith likes a good long bath too, but he wanted to wait until after eating," L'ux said, making the effort to keep his tone light and cheerful even if it wasn't going to get recipri... err... returned, that'd do. "And yeah, like I said, it's going to be a shock to anyone even if they always knew they were going to get the chance to Stand and grew up knowing what being a rider was all about. Course, everything's different now to what any of us could've expected a few turns ago." He was trying not to think too hard about that, about the fact that Cochith might.... None of the clutch had started to get sick so far, maybe they'd been protected somehow? Best thing to do right now was try to believe that, there was nothing anyone could do to change it if they weren't and if he got himself too worried about it Cochith would pick up on it and that was the last thing on Pern he wanted.

Happy to be here to share! Cochith trilled in reply, now pushing the bucket with the pieces Azelth liked closer to her and her rider so they could take them themselves if they wanted. We're well but I need a bath, the blue continue with a hum and a bob of his head, he wasn't itchy right now but it was easy for that to change! We enjoyed watching wing drills... was that yesterday? Eh, time; Cochith shrugged mentally and went on; I'm looking forward to trying the formations out on the ground, but L'ux says that's not for a couple of months yet. That seemed like a terribly long time to Cochith, he'd only been alive for a couple of months so far after all! L'ux doesn't like the lessons on law and politics and things so much though, he finds it hard to focus just sitting still and listening to things like that. What about you two? Looking forward to anything coming up soon?  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

magnadearel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:25 pm
TawnyAngel

Why was this so hard? Granted he’d trying to avoid people as much as possible since he’d been brought back to the weyr. It was just one person. Surely he could handle at least that? Azelth looked up from her eating. Because you aren’t accepting you need me Mine. You can only see yourself at the top, but not how you got up there or how you’ll keep it once you’re there. T’ves blinked and opened his mouth to say something then closed it. What could he say? She was right. And he’d always imaged himself upon a bronze when he was there too.

It really put a kink in all of his plans. How could he rise to the top now? You are the best. Never doubt that. You need me to reach it though. There was no doubt in the green’s mind. Now play nice and talk with the boy. She fixed him with a hard stare then went back to her food.

T’ves coughed uncomfortably. Right, conversation. “She really likes to sleep right after she eats. I can barely get her to her wallow once she’s full. There’s no way I’d be able to give her a bath.” This was why he’d bathed her first with a generous application of oil so that her growth while she slept wouldn’t split her hide. “Ten turns or now, I don’t think that makes a difference. Impression is Impression.” It was enough to shock anyone, weyrbrat or holder born.

No, the uncertainty came from the disease. T’ves eyed the two young dragons, one green one blue, as if he’d never seen them before. They didn’t appear to be coming down ill. Were they safe or was it only a matter of time before they started to drop? “Have the healers lurking around the barracks on occasion?” He mused aloud.

Azelth moved up onto the table and waited for her rider to pull out the next piece and set it down before digging in. I am squeaky clean as Mine likes to say, but I don’t really squeak. I think he’s making that up. She paused to devour a portion. Yes those were very pretty, but it looks trying to do it on the ground. Plus we’ll get dirty walking through the dirt. Mine says he’s bored silly in that class, but I don’t think he’s actually looking forward to anything. The green heaved a sigh.

WC: 405

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:31 am
magnadearel

That made sense; L'ux nodded and scratched his ear, a slight grin tugging at one side of his mouth. "I do practically have to roll him back to his wallow sometimes, which is only going to get harder as he gets bigger! He won't sleep proper if he's not washed though, he's fussy about his hide." It was noticeably rougher than dragonhide was supposed to be but apparently the healers weren't worried about to so nor was L'ux - Cochith remained a bit self conscious though, which was probably one reason he was so particular about keeping clean.

Mention of healers hanging around the place however sobered L'ux considerably; he gave a little nod and a slight grimace. "Yeah, I've seen them around, and I'm sure weyrlings don't usually get as many checkups as we do. I'm not sure why they're bothering though to be honest, it's not like they can change anything." Once a dragon got sick they either got better - unlikely - or... or they didn't. "Maybe being nearly developed in their eggs protected them?" L'ux wondered quietly, trying to keep his thoughts shielded from Cochith. It was possible right? So far as he knew no dragons had been conceived free from plague, then laid, then exposed to it. Maybe they'd all turn out to be just fine.

Squeaky clean! Cochith chirped with delight at the turn of phrase, and then gave a little squeak for emphasis. That's great, you're so funny Azelth! Mmmh, and I don't think I'll mind walking around in the dirt so long as we get to have a bath right after. They probably would if they did get dirty, the weyrlingmasters wouldn't let them hang around feeling all itchy and icky he was sure.

As Azelth sighed Cochith warbled curiously and looked up from taking another chunk of meat to study T'ves. Not even flying? he asked, confusion ringing in his melodic voice. L'ux can't wait to fly with me, I feel the same! Solo flying would be a big milestone, but getting to take wing with his rider on his back would be even better!  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

magnadearel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:54 pm
TawnyAngel

The image of rolling a dragon, even a hatchling, along was slightly humorous. Don’t get any ideas, his dragon warned him. She had her dignity. Which is why you were bathed first. She seemed to accept the statement for what it was.

“Hopefully when they get bigger then won’t drop into sleep with the drop of a hat after being fed.” That would give them a little relief. “She likes to be clean too.” He looked at the blue, maybe she wasn’t as picky as him. Cochith, his name is Cochith. Azelth reminded her rider. Oh right.

T’ves thought about why healers, who unable to change anything, might hang around. Her pursed his lips. “Maybe if they find one sick, they can move him or her before the others catch it?” He sounded doubtful. Hadn’t they all been exposed already? Just by the dragons coming to the hatching, then later bringing the weyrlings here? “Maybe.”

The green arched her neck as Cochith shared her joke. Lift your tail high, she advised. I know it might look funny, but it’ll keep the dirt off of it. Let the oil soak into your hide too before you go onto the dirt. It won’t stick as much. She knew how to keep looking her best and she didn’t mind sharing her advice.

Azelth chewed thoughtfully for a moment as she also regarded her rider. He has had some tough adjustments to make, she temporized. He was slowly working through them and she was proud of him. Perhaps in time it will interest him. I’m sure we will grow quickly! She hummed at his eagerness.

WC: 271

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:09 pm
magnadearel

"Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to them being awake more - and being able to go further without getting worn out," L'ux said with a fond grin at his dragon, and a rub for his adorable headknobs. "Guess we shouldn't wish this away though right? They'll be all grown up before we know it... But on the other hand again I can't wait to go to Telgar Hold, see all my old friends and Lord it over the grumpy bastards who used to give me a smack around the head for not hopping to quick enough for their liking." This thought made L'ux positively beam - they'd have to be respectful to him and if they weren't then.... Err... Something, report them to their bosses probably. L'ux was dead against snitching as a rule but he was quite happy to make an exception for some of the people who he'd had to answer to in his turns as a drudge...

If they got that far. Why did he have to keep remembering that? He was a positive person, didn't get too worried by much, but knowing that Cochith could get sick any time and there was nothing he could do to stop it was.... Yeah, it was tough. "Maybe?" L'ux's grin faded again and he pushed his fingers through his hair, now studying his dragon more thoughtfully; he didn't honestly think moving them would make a difference but there was no point saying that aloud, and he was pretty sure T'ves knew it too. It was nice to pretend they could do something to protect their dragons, that was all. Some of the entourage that had come here with Julith were getting sick now, it was far far too easy to imagine it being Cochith starting to cough and wheeze and.... Nope, nope, don't think about that any more - think of nice things, not things that will worry your dragon if he picks up on them.

If you think it'll help I'll give it a try next time, Cochith hummed, oblivious to his rider's thoughts for now in his happy haze of food and conversation. Adjustment to make though, what did Azelth mean by that? I hope he can make them soon then, it's a shame not to look forward to all the great things we'll get to do, the blue said aloud after a slight pause, and you're right, we're already a lot bigger than when we hatched! The itching that comes with it isn't fun but I don't mind it too much if it means I'm growing faster, and getting closer to flying!  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas