Being a drudge sucked in many ways, pretty much all of them in fact but a childhood of hard slog and rough quarters had definitely left L'ux with some talents he was grateful for; one of these was being able to sleep pretty much anywhere, any time, no matter what was going on around him. Sleeping in the barracks in a warm bed therefore was a breeze even with the background noise of snores, occasional honks of dreaming baby dragons, or the shiftings of pairs getting up to use the privy in the middle of the night. All of that was no problem, storms were no problem, possibly an earthquake wouldn't disturb him unless something fell and hit him on the head and yet - for reasons his sleep-fuzzed mind couldn't yet make out - L'ux's dreams were filled with unease.

Cochith was a good sleeper too, so were most young dragons, but after today's big lesson he just couldn't seem to drift off. Swimming! Why hadn't anyone told him about swimming before! Perhaps they had but he'd forgotten about it, he wouldn't be forgetting again though! He'd thought that it might be a bit like a bath, which he did enjoy a lot, but it was so much more than that! Swimming, he thought, had to be the next best thing to flying and he was just itching to get back into the water. How deep did they Weyr's lake go? What was down at the bottom? How long could he hold his breath? As his rider and the rest of the barracks fell asleep these questions wouldn't stop buzzing around in his mind, and eventually it got too much to take.

Slowly, carefully, the young blue got to his feet and crept over to his sleeping rider. Should he wake him? It was a long way to go to the lake without him, further than he'd ever been away from him he thought, but he did know exactly where he was.... And if he started feeling uncomfortable he could come right back and wake him, yes, that made sense! Go and test the waters - hee! - and let L'ux sleep if possible, if not then he'd come back for him. Imagine how proud L'ux would be in the morning though if he'd done something on his own and if it was more swimming too? His rider had been so proud of how well he'd taken to it, it didn't even cross Cochith's mind that L'ux or anyone else would be anything but thrilled that he'd gone and done more all by himself. Decision made Cochith left L'ux sprawled on his stomach, mouth slightly open, and made his way quietly towards the exit - he didn't want to wake up any of his classmates on his way to his quest!

Eventually the creeping feeling that had got into his vague dreams about tests he hadn't studied for - which meant that the Weyr had decided to take Cochith away from him and bond him to somebody else - dragged L'ux back into the land of the waking. His eyes were gritty and his mouth tasted as dry as Igen, but as he sat up rubbing his face he was safe in the knowledge that nobody could ever take Cochith away no matter what, well except the plague or some kind of accident and-

Cochith wasn't in his wallow.

L'ux's stomach dropped and his blood ran cold for a moment but the bond in his mind was strong. Cochith, where are you? The question came out a bit more worried and urgent than he'd meant it to but it was a bit worrying to wake up with your young dragon not where they were supposed to be.

Oh, sorry L'ux, I didn't mean to wake you! Cochith put an extra harmony into his already warm and melodic voice as he reached out to calm his worried bondmate. I couldn't sleep is all, I can't stop thinking about or lesson today so I thought I'd go out and have another go. I was going to come back nice and quiet and tell you all about- Cochith stooped suddenly, both mid-sentence and physically mid-stride across the bowl; L'ux hadn't spoken but his mind was blasting out exclamation marks and half-snatches of words which the young blue didn't know the meaning but did know were very rude. What's the matter L'ux? Crooning softly Cochith looked over his shoulder back towards the barracks, he could feel that L'ux had sprung out of bed and was now crossing the room as quickly and quietly as he could. Do you want to swim too? I think it'll be a bit cold for you this late but if you don't mind I'd love to-

We can't go swimming without one of the bosses you eejit! L'ux glanced around quickly as he stepped out barefoot into the cool night air, it was cloudy so it was hard to see too much but he didn't see anyone around but whers didn't have that problem and a night patrol probably wouldn't be far off. They wouldn't go for a lone weyrling, not with handlers to keep them in check, but the big beasts still made him nervous and also he really didn't want to get caught. For once in his life he seemed to actually be doing well at something, at this weyrling thing, overall at least - his test scores weren't the best, but he was.... Yeah, he was actually proud of how he and Cochith were performing and for one he didn't want to mess up, and for another more important one it was his job to keep his dragon safe!

I'm not an eejit, Cochith replied with an affronted huff as his rider drew level with him and put a hand on his shoulder. I don't think we need to bother the weyrlingmaster or anyone else, I'm already great at swimming! If somebody knows how to swim why should they have to have somebody looking after them, that's just silly and a waste of their time. Rules were meant to be there for a reason, but if they were silly why did he have to follow them? Part of growing up is exercising your own judgement L'ux!

Guh! Sha-! Nuuuurgh! L'ux pushed his fingers into his short curly hair, the full force of Cochith's fiery streak wasn't something he'd found himself on the wrong side of before but here he was. "Well, sure, in theory," he hissed under his breath, "but you exercise it right now, tomorrow R'ulfr is going to exercise giving me a bollocking! Come on, let's get back inside before anyone sees us."

I don't want to go back inside! Cochith rumbled his displeasure and turned to face L'ux head on, this was stupid! Why shouldn't he go swimming if he wanted to? He couldn't sleep for thinking about it, so after he'd done it he'd be able to sleep, and if he didn't he'd be tired tomorrow because he hadn't! The weyrlingmaster would understand that, and if he didn't then as far as Cochith was concerned it was R'ulfr that was the big eejit.

Who could ever have imagined that he, L'ux, official cheeky pain in the bum to most authority figures, would be standing barefoot in the weyrbowl in the middle of the night making the case for following the rules? Look, L'ux exhaled slowly and dragged a hand down his face as he tried to remain patient, there's got to be one rule that goes for everyone, right? Some other weyrling might think they're really good at swimming but not be and get themselves into trouble - or maybe the lake's different at night, currents and that? He wasn't sure if lakes got currents and that was probably part of the point, it wasn't a risk he could take with Cochith's safety or one he could let the blue decide to take for himself.

This was not an explanation that Cochith much liked but the edge of worry in his rider's mind was beginning to p***k at his conscience; he knew he would be just fine going for a swim alone but L'ux wasn't totally sure. Oh, alright then. Cochith deflated and bumped his head against L'ux's hand. I still think it's a stupid rule, but I'll come back inside for you L'ux. Promise we'll go swimming tomorrow?

Thank shells for that! L'ux hunkered down to give his dragon a quick hug and a kiss on the snout; Thank you, I promise, and if the lesson wasn't on the cards again he'd persuade somebody to supervise Cochith somehow.

That'll do then, Cochith said with a patient sigh as he turned to head back into the barracks with L'ux by his side. What a lot of fuss about a little swim!