Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Community Issues: Responsibilities of a Con [PG13]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Aki-Con be responsible?
  100%
  Yes for some reasons, no for others.
  No.
View Results

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:55 pm
Community Issues
Responsibilities of a Con Prt. 1

So this is a thread to discuss issues within the cosplay/anime/fan community. Today's topic is what should be the responsibility of a con when it comes to the behavior of an invited guest. If you feel uncomfortable with the subject, please feel free to not post. You are not forced to post.

We will be using Aki-Con as the primary example and use other cons as support. Please read the provide links to help you understand the topic.

Anime News Network: Convicted Sex Offender Attends Aki Con 2013 Event As Guest DJ
AnimeJamSession:
Elite Cosplay: AKI CON HIRED KNOWN SEX OFFENDER

This thread is used to open up conversation about issues in the community and I encourage positive and constructive feedback and compliments to your fellow posters when they make a good or bad point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:12 pm
I was sad after reading the articles. Conventions should be a safe and happy place to go to and be at. That being said unfortunately their is good and evil in this world.

When it comes to known and convicted sex offenders they should be registered in the State that they live and noted on the United States National Sex Offender database.

I feel that a Convention should do thorough background checks of all guests. To get a job in most parts of the United States you need to undergo a check so why not for conventions.

If the guest is from another country I don't what resources to use but I feel some kind of check should be done.

In the end people that go to conventions should be able to rely on the conventions organizers to do everything that they can to make things safe in the areas that the convention is at.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:30 pm
So here is my take knowing what I know about the case.

1. The convention runners should be in charge of their floor space. This include who is there: visitor, guest, or other. Double if it is one of their guest.

2. A convention should not be sex promoting when most of their guest is under 18 and double if it's not during "after hours".

3. The convention is not in charge of what happens behind close doors, unless they did something to promote it. In this case they hired a known sex offender.

4. They are not in charge of other people opinion and thoughts.

While the convention had no control over their underaged guest drinking or going to a private room. They did have control about inviting someone they shouldn't.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:33 pm
smithers456

Just to make a comment about the guy in question,

I met him before he did this. He is a total creep. He was hitting on me. I got lucky that another friend (A fairly well known photographer in this part of the world) pulled me away not knowing I was in distressed.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:56 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

Just to make a comment about the guy in question,

I met him before he did this. He is a total creep. He was hitting on me. I got lucky that another friend (A fairly well known photographer in this part of the world) pulled me away not knowing I was in distressed.

Unfortunately abusive behavior often falls into a pattern or habit which can escalate later on. I'm glad that someone was their to help you out. One of the things that I always promote is to not go alone to a convention. It makes it easier to fend off or discourage a creep as you put it.

I know that safety has come a long way but convention staff can do better in the future. I worked at Star Trek conventions back in the 1990's so I have some idea of what was done then. One example is crowd control. Another is protecting the convention guests.

Every year I worked at the same Star Trek Convention. I worked as part of a Star Trek club who coordinated their efforts with the Convention Promoter. With more people at hand and things seem to run better and more efficient. What helped out was the fact that the people in my Star Trek Group were trustworthy.

One year their was an incident where someone tried to jump up on stage and attack one of the conventions guests, who happened to be one of the leading actors of Star Trek. The city had appointed the guest with one security officer but what made the difference was a couple of club members who were in the audience who were able to stop the attack.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games