Submit

Earisa

Darling Prophet

6,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 am
Lianly sat outside the barracks, silent but for the sound of oiled leather sliding through her hands and the odd clink of buckles being bumped. Falxath lay nearby, curled as if asleep but touching her mind knew she was very much awake. The weather was nice enough to sit outside the barracks, soaking in the sunshine to ward off the biting cold of winter that was setting in. It didn't snow in Narat, and a Turn in the Weyr had not been long enough to stop the Weyrling from wearing three layers of clothing to keep the chill at bay. At least the effects of being homesick had eased, her blue Keloc capable of carrying letters off every now and again but the replies were a little sparse. The harvest should be ending so maybe winter would bring more news, like if that unfortunate man still thought marrying her sister was a wise idea.

The girl hissed in pain, nearly dropping the harness. Strips of linen wrapped her hands and fingers, her right more then left. Her hands were healing, the wounds shouldn't reopen, but they still hurt. The hatching of the brown firelizard Bark had not been what she had hoped. From the moment he freed himself from his shell he had been unable, or unwilling, to distinguish between the offered meat scraps and her fingers. It had been the first time Lianly had seen more then a speck of yellow in Falxath's eyes as she turned the full weight of her intense mind on the hatchling. It had been a wonder how he hadn't been chased off there and then, but dragon and rider agreed if allowed to roam wild he might prove an even bigger nuisance. The following days had been better, but had not been bloodless which only added to the problem.

Falxath was growing well and taking her first flights, next month they would fly together, but only if she could get through her lessons. Hard to do while her hands pained her so much, which meant another hard month of study and practice so not to fall behind. After last month things had been looking up, but no rider had ever said caring for a dragon was easy. That was only a story holder children bought into as they wished for a more exciting life.

Lianly sighed, frustrated, but hissed again as her hands had unconsciously tightened on the leather.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 am
Ostarath had wanted to run again. Flying was rapidly overtaking running as her favourite pastime, but it was much easier for her to injure herself doing it. It had been a struggle to keep her just to gliding from the very first lesson. The green was raring to go as always and of the opinion that she was ready to fly fully now. Waiting since hatching was bad enough, how was she supposed to wait even longer? And with the added temptation of actually being in the air? It was impossible. Flying was everything Ostarath wanted. That promise of freedom and exhilaration. The only thing she wanted more than to fly freely was to take K'lir with her. At least there she was tempered somewhat. The idea of risking her beloved K'lir was a truly terrible one and that kept her from pushing that particular barrier. Even if she did just turn it into the excuse that practising on her own was even more important. Then keeping K'lir safe would be easy, because she would be the flight expert that Ostarath knew she was meant to be.

At least being green, and a young one at that, the dragon couldn't run forever. The pair had been at the lake for about a candlemark and by now Ostarath's energy reserves were low. A good nap and she would be raring to go once again. The green longed for the day where she wouldn't tire so easily. One day, she hoped, they would be able to fly all day together. Spending candlemarks on end in the freedom of the sky. Fortunately for K'lir Ostarath wasn't one to dwell, and so walked along happily next to her rider as they approached the barracks.

"Looking a little tense there," K'lir said when he spotted Lianly sat outside the barracks. He sat down beside the younger weyrling. K'lir was fond of Lianly. There wasn't really anyone in the class he actively didn't like, but if he had to rank his classmates he imagined Lianly would be near the top. Ostarath loved all her siblings, so had no issue with walking over toward Falxath and collapsing into a vibrant heap beside her. It was nice outside, she could always nap here. K'lir glanced down and Linaly's hands. Given how some people had fared the young man was beginning to think that choosing not to take on a firelizard was the best option. His hands were full enough with a energetic dragon, let alone a bitey 'lizard. "Hands giving you trouble?"  

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Earisa

Darling Prophet

6,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:10 am
Lianly looked up at the sound of a familiar voice, "Oh, hello K'lir!" Her smile was a bit sheepish, as if she had been caught out doing something wrong. Truth was she didn't like K'lir seeing her struggling, he was just so nice and didn't want to burden him by worrying about her. She was a big girl, a little taller then him though a little younger, and should be able to look after herself. He was one of her closest friends in their class, so she did enjoy his company.

Falxath felt her sister flop next to her, eyes snapping open on their usual calm deep blue eyes. Shuffling over the darker dragon nestled up against her brighter green sister. The were similar sized, what little one lacked in height made up in length. Falxath was also maybe Ostarath's closest and most regular competitor in a race, though her energy was more reserved. While she would never beat Ostarath off the mark, Falxath had the better endurance and would always keep going long after her sister had stopped.

You worked hard today like always, I will have to practice more. Her voice rang with a slight twinkle of laughter and challenge but she didn't rise to her feet. That was a contest for next time, now was the time to rest.

"They look worse then they are. I should be able to take the bandages off in a few days." Lianly held up a hand for him to see, not that there was much to show since most of her hand was hidden under cloth. It was mostly a precaution to keep out dirt and oil that might effect the scabs and cause an infection. Luckily with winter she could wear gloves comfortably after the bandages came off without the risk of sweating to protect the healing skin while Bark was still snappy.

With a big shrug the female weyrling hoisted the straps so to the slug over her shoulder. Coming from a farming family and training she still kept much of the strength from her life before dragons, maybe even more after the long days these last handful of months. "Maybe you were the smart one not to want a firelizard, but Falxath thought it was such a fun game and after Keloc I thought I knew what I was getting into." There were a few new additions around the barracks with mixed results though most were considered difficult to handle.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:51 am
There was a mental ripple of laughter from Ostarath as she settled. Happily she leaned against her darker sister. Falxath was a worthwhile opponent. Ostarath would usually race anyone, but Falxath actually provided a challenge, and that was always far more enjoyable.

Can't have you falling behind. Even as her eyes slid closed there was a playful air to the young dragon's voice. You know I'm always happy to test your progress. There was a brief pause. ...Perhaps after a short rest. It was only K'lir's calming influence that stopped Ostarath from doing herself an injury and exhausting herself. Once her rider said that she needed a rest, arguing was pointless. Over the months the young man had become firmer and now his green didn't disagree when he took the 'this is for your benefit' tone. That one was worth listening to, no matter how mischievous she might be feeling at that moment.

"Well that's good then," K'lir said pleasantly looking at her bandaged hand. These things did tend to look worse, but still now was a difficult time for all of them. Lianly didn't need the extra pressure of injuries to her hands. "Just let me know if you need any help." It was a natural thing for him to offer. K'lir liked being helpful where he could be, and Lianly didn't seem the type to take advantage of that. Ostarath liked it when her rider put himself more out there, and he had to admit having closer friends was a nice experience.

K'lir laughed lightly at her mention of the firelizards. "Ah well, they'd already started hatching by the time I found her." He remembered the day rather fondly now, casting a glance over at his green. At the time it had been rather stressful, but the whole thing had worked out in the end. More and more often he found that to be the way of things. "Besides, I think one troublemaker is enough for me." Maybe in the future he'd get a firelizard, but not now. Not while he still felt like he was always jogging to keep up with the energetic dragon.  

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Earisa

Darling Prophet

6,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 am
Lianly just diverted her eyes when he spoke the words she knew he would say. There K'lir went again offering to help anyone and everyone in need, it seemed so odd to her how anyone could be so nice so effortlessly. K'lir was one of the better performers of their class so it made sense that he would know how best to explain things, but Telleara never offered to help anyone and acted like it was only natural everyone was beneath her. It must be nice to be pretty and shine so bright when one of the nicest things anyone had said to her was that she worked hard, and not long after over hearing someone say it was because she must be a draftbeast since she looked like one...

A mental thump that could only be Falxath snapped her out of that dark spiral, though the dragon from the outside seemed calm and unbothered. The green's only movement was the rest her head on Ostarath's back, eyes wide open and watching. It was harder to think less of yourself when an overbearing dragon thought you were the greatest person ever born.

"Thank you, I'll keep that in mind." She had said, maybe a little too quickly. Lianly even tried to smile, she was genuinely grateful someone cared about her but K'lir would be smart enough to know something was off about it. It was easier after he laughed about the antics of dragons and 'lizards. Oh the stress he had been put through that day was more then enough, remembering finding him in the barracks trying to hide from those who had wanted to wring his dragon's location out of him to get to the eggs.

"Well I'm sure Ostarath knows who to ask when you are ready. How on all of Pern she managed to get golds to give up their clutches we may never know." Both of Lianly's were male, so she couldn't offer him one herself. The fact that two gold hatchlings came out of that basket was proof that these were not just a few green nests she dug up from some corner of the Weyr. The smaller dragon cousins were just as protective of their eggs as their much bigger counterparts. There were a handful of golds bonded to people in the Weyr, some of them may have been willing to trust a dragon with their delicate broods.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 am
A brief shadow of a frown was all the indication that K'lir thought anything was amiss, his smile barely even faltered. He wondered if Lianly didn't want his help. He figured it was more likely that she didn't want anybody to help. K'lir had be reject and told to go away by a lot of people in his time. He didn't get that feeling from Lianly, so he assumed it wasn't personal. Looking at the leathers on her shoulder he pointed at them briefly. "I'll check yours if you check mine?" Maybe that would feel less like help. K'lir's straps were hardly great. He hadn't even made it through the first round of the weyrling rodeo. A lot of their class had done pretty badly in that event, which was kind of awkward.

"You know she never did tell me," K'lir said leaning back. Ostarath had been intent on keeping that secret. "Reckon she's forgotten herself at this point. I think at least some of them were wild, but I don't even know how many clutches she got eggs from." Forty eggs was a lot. Way more than any one clutch could produce. Even from golds surely Ostarath would need to get a handful of broody mothers to agree. Whatever her method the green certainly didn't plan to tell him. Ostarath for her part was at least pretending to nap, although the radiating smugness at how bright she had been was a giveaway that she could still hear them.  

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Earisa

Darling Prophet

6,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:07 pm
Lianly glanced at her straps when he pointed at them. Her first instinct was to immediately decline, a learned habit from her childhood. The downside to having an self important sister was she thought she was entitled to take your things without asking, and it only took a few times for things to be returned ruined or not at all to become protective of what few possessions she could call her own. These riding straps were important, she needed them!

But K'lir isn't like that, we can trust him. Faithful Falxath, always the voice of reason. Her dragon was right, she liked K'lir and as a friend it was natural to trust him. Besides, while their dragons were small that much leather wasn't exactly easy to hide and what would he get out of trying to damage them unless he was trying to hurt her or Falxath. That just did not sound like the man she knew.

"Sure, that sounds like a good idea. If I missed something the first five times I probably won't see it on the sixth." It only took a slight movement to let the straps slide from her shoulder to offer them to him draped over her arm. Now seemed as good as time as ever since their dragons were unlikely to be moving anytime soon. Ostarath at least couldn't move from that spot without Falxath knowing.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:45 am
"Always good to have a fresh pair of eyes look something over," K'lir replied easily. He'd been a tailor once. It felt like a long time ago now. At first he had thought straps were the same really. Pieces of leather held together by thread. Needed to be form fitting and resilient. At their core he supposed they were the same, but all his knowledge of what worked in human clothes hadn't really helped him when it came to riding straps. Dragons went together differently, they moved differently. What was uncomfortable for a person wasn't necessarily uncomfortable for a dragon. Then there was the strain. K'lir had made hardy clothes before, but never anything that needed to support a grown man's weight while the wearing swung upside-down.

Taking Lianly's straps in his hands he began to inspect them. The problem with his own was that he had been too focused on Ostarath's comfort and the stitching. Maybe the Weyrlingmaster had known his strengths when choosing, because all of his faults seemed to have been with the leather and the metalwork. Not areas he was experienced in. His focus on Ostarath's comfort had cost him too. The green wanted to be free, so the restrictive nature of the straps bothered her, so he had loosened them. It had felt natural at the time, but looking back K'lir could see how dangerous his decision had been.

The young man was methodical as he inspected the straps. The leather was well oiled and flexible, none of the stitching was coming loose. The metal all seemed to be in the right shape and lining up correctly. He couldn't tell how they fit Falxath, but with how fast their dragons still grew that could change from one day to the next. "They look good to me." With that he held the straps back out of Lianly. "I mean, I probably only know as much as you do, so sorry if I missed anything," he added. K'lir could hardly claim to be an expert after all.  

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50

Earisa

Darling Prophet

6,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 am
K'lir's verdict on her straps was comforting, but Lianly was still not convinced there wasn't still some fault. A buckle with a loose prong or a critical strap with slightly thinner leather then was needed. Something so small that only experience would find but so important that it could prove deadly. "Thank you for looking anyway." She took back her straps, awkwardly shrugging them back over her shoulder so not to use her hands too much. After trying to wave away that they bothered her, would not do to show him that they still did after all.

"You would at least know better then I do with the stitching at least. I was never good at these sort of things, little crafts." A redfruit tree didn't require special harnesses, tubers didn't generally need to be inspected daily, and harvesting generally didn't require anything more special then a pair of gloves. Seemed like an easier time, but she would never give up Falxath to go back to it. The green dragon was the friend she never had as well as her better half. With baby steps maybe she could even be the person Falxath seemed to think she was.

"I should go put this away, it's not like it is going to become gem encrusted if I look at it any longer." She gave a weak smile before walking into the barracks to hang it from their peg along side the others.  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 am
"I dunno, I didn't work with leather all that much." Leather was a different material to work with. Different tools, different things to take into account. K'lir had done some leather work in the past, it was a necessity if you wanted to be taken seriously as a tailor to know how, but it didn't come up often. Good leather was hard to come by and needed maintaining. Most of the people K'lir had tailored for needed something they could comfortably work in all day that wasn't going to rip immediately. "All your stitching looks good though." The stitches that they were taught for strap maintenance were limited. A variety of stitch types wasn't really necessary, so K'lir wasn't surprised that Lianly had managed to figure out that part. She certainly studied enough to know what it should look like.

"You never know," K'lir said as way of a joke. As Lianly left he looked back at Ostarath from where he was sitting. The green was sleeping for real now, but gently touching her mind let him know it was a light sleep. Ostarath could be awake and raring to go once more at a moment's notice. For now though he'd prefer if she just stayed a sleep for a little bit. Whether she liked it or not the green was still growing and needed to rest at least some of the time.  

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers