User ImageUser Image
User Image

The warm days continued and the world slowly filled with more and more color. Flowers grew and opened, washing the meadows and forests with so much color. Butterflies covered the sky with their own splashes of blues and reds and purples, so the eyes were surrounded by dazzling sights. Everyone was infused with a light happiness, so much so that it was making Aiolos feel a little sick to watch. This had never been his favorite season. Shows of affection were never something he had enjoyed. It always made him feel so uncomfortable being in the presence of two creatures showing it, as if he was some unwanted third addition to their happiness, whether they said so or not. Not that he ever stayed around long enough for them to say anything about it. Being on his own was always better for him, anyway.

At least that was how he used to think. Now, he couldn't imagine his life without Yuurei and Fionn. He hadn't realized until now how lonely his life had been before, even back when the herds were together. He had no one he could call a friend back than, just a group of older stallions trying to guide him to become the type of leader they thought he needed to be. The type of leader his father had been. Lot of good that had done him in the end. Clearly they had been wrong, as everyone had left him once they came to these new lands, full of new things to explore and culture to learn. It had suited them better than what he had to offer. He used to be bitter about it. Now he found he didn't care. He'd found someone who did enjoy his company and he hers.

They were walking together, now, along the edge of a dense forest, the blue bird Fionn perched on her back with his feathers fluffed up against the slight chill in the air. He didn't feel worried being this close to it, despite how little he could see into it. Fionn had proven himself many times as a reliable alert system. If he smelled or heard anything he thought would be a danger, he'd sound a warning faster than something could prepare for a pounce.

They walked on in silence, neither of them wanting to spoil the quiet. Aiolos was happy just to be in the Nymph mare's company.

On his other side, the forest loomed, twigs snapping in the darkness as unseen small animals moved around. He heard squirrels scurrying up trees and burrow-dwelling animals digging in the dirt. All normal sounds. But than, without any warning, a large snap came closer to him and a shape just a bit bigger than himself came barreling out of the forest, straight through a set of bushes that were hanging around the border. Aiolos tried to quickly dart to the side, only to bang into Yuurei.

"Aiolos! I thought that was you!"

The blue Putti straightened himself out, making sure everyone else was also steady on their feet before turning his attention to the one who had spoken. It became clear why Fionn hadn't given any warning. What his racing heart had perceived as a predator attack had been a different kind of attack. An attack of his quiet.

"Enlil," he said quietly, but not friendly. In all the years of being alone, of wishing to run into another like him, now was the time that the one Putti he wouldn't be upset to never see again found him.

"Ah! You do remember me!" The other Putti bounced out into the clearing, looking Aiolos over. He thought he'd never find more of his herd and here he had found not just a member of his herd, but his leader! What luck. And who was this? He turned that roving eye onto the mare, a little visibly confused why she was here. Had the Nymph herd also split up like the Putti? He had been so focused by his own that he hadn't looked at what the others had been doing. "Hello. Were you left behind, too?" he asked her.

Yuurei, other than uttering a gasp of surprise when Aiolos jumped into her, hadn't uttered a single word or sound up until the point she was being clearly addressed. This other stallion spoke with such familiarity, this must be an old friend of Aiolos'. Once she was settled back on her feet, she shook out her mane before offering a smile in the general direction the new voice was coming from.

"Hello to you." Fionn settled once more on her back, ruffling his feathers. Whether he was annoyed or not, it was difficult to tell. "I don't know if I'd say
left behind, but all the Nymphs seemed more interested in exploring their new home than sticking together."

Aiolos, meanwhile, was grumbling a little to himself. How rude of a question to just ask someone. But that was Enlil. He always spoke before he gave anything a thought.

"I remember most of the Putti, as was my job." He realized he'd given a bit of a spike to his words and tried to soften his voice down more. He found himself very self-conscious of Yuurei and her opinion of him all the time now. For her, he didn't want to be like he was before. Even if Enlil was an unfair one to start with. "You really should watch where you step, especially in these lands."

"Why? I knew it was you. I could smell you." And he gave a sniff to emphasize this.

Aiolos couldn't help recoiling a little from this information. He knew it was every animal's way of accessing others and their environment, but the thought of anyone smelling him still made his spine tingle. It was such a gross way of communicating with each other that he would always refuse to take part in. The only thing he wanted to smell was flowers. Which he could.

"Great," was all he could think of to say in response to this, He didn't know how to talk to Enlil, nor could he signal to Yuurei that he needed some help. Fortunately, she was very sensitive to the tones of others, able to read the mood in the air very easily.

"Have you been out here all by yourself? That's impressive." And indeed, she thought it was. There were dangerous equines out here, she had heard. Fionn had always been excellent at guiding her clear of them, but she enjoyed talking to those she met and listening to their stories. Some of them were tragic, families destroyed by those large predatory equines they called Walkers. She'd heard them in the distance. They sounded like the animals whose pelts they wore. She'd never have known what they were had no one told her otherwise. They sent shivers down her spine. To think of any of her small kin out here, all alone, when terrors like those roamed freely.

And not just the Walkers. Regular equines who feasted on the flesh of their own or were so ruthless as to kill for pleasure or mess with the lives of others, It was hard to imagine. What lands her and her own had come to.

Underneath the praise, Enlil stood a little taller, puffing out his chest in pride. "It's not so bad once you get used to it. Though I was very worried about where the rest of my herd went. I'm glad to have found one." He beamed at Aiolos, oblivious as always to the faces the blue stallion was making. Enlil had always liked Aiolos and thought he would have been a great leader, had he been given the chance. He'd always been looking out for his Putti and studying hard with the older members.

"As I glad to find another of my small kin," Yuurei responded, bowing her head in greeting. "My name is Yuurei and this is Fionn. He guides my steps." The weight on her back shifted as she felt him bend in his own greeting to the newcomer. She really thought it marvelous that they had found another one like them. It made her feel less alone in the world. She had liked the large herds. Though this had its perks, too.

"Oh. My apologies!" Enlil blinked in embarrassment, realizing he had been so distracted he hadn't even given his own name. "I am Enlil.| He looked between the other two, a large smile on his face. "It is nice to find others."

"Indeed it is." The Nymph looked over at Aiolos. She hadn't heard him move and assumed he was still there.

Aiolos sighed, seeing the look on Yuurei's face. She wanted to accept Enlil into their little herd. And, as much as he didn't like the other Putti, he still felt that responsibility that came with being a leader. The other Putti were always to be in his charge and watch, ever since he was born, and that was a very difficult thing to let go of.

"It is nice to see you again, Enlil."

----------
Wordcount: 1524