Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LOLTERGEIST

Crew

A Knife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:59 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:05 pm
Astraeus was in a frenzy - certain that today was the day. He had spent months tracking the position of the moon and today he would finally witness something he'd only heard mention of in stories and legends passed around - even then they'd trickled down from one ear to the next so often that he wasn't sure how accurate they were. Today, however, he was certain he'd be able to bare witness to the phenomenon - the moon obscuring the sun - a solar eclipse. He bundled his supplies (ink, paper and his records) and headed for the summit - to offer him the best view of the event.

-----------------

Asteria was tired. She had not slept in some time - plagued by nightmares and visions that flashed behind her eyes every time she blinked. The flock was in a frenzy - all made aware of the impending eclipse thanks to Astraeus spreading the word to anyone that would listen. Everyone reacted differently - some indifferent, not phased by the news, others thinking it an omen - of good or evil depending on who you asked.

Truthfully, Asteria wasn't sure what to make of it - no matter how many times she tried to divine a sign or an answer, the results were unclear - nothing or nonsense. Paired with her nightmares.. She shuddered as she left her cave, making her way to the summit to join her father. She'd promised to witness the eclipse with him and truly she was looking forward to sharing in his excitement.

-----------------

Astraeus was early - there was still quite some time before the event started but he wanted to ensure he got the best seat in the house. He sat down, using stones to weigh down his papers so they didn't fly away in the slight breeze that drifted over the flock territory. A crunch of stones behind him and he turned to see his daughter arrive, her lack of sleep showing through the forced smile she gave him.

"Asteria, welcome. Sit, please." He shuffled over, making room for her as she joined him in seating, placing a basket of food in between them.

"I figured you'd be here early and likely forget about food in your excitement. Let's have some lunch before it begins." She selected a few pieces of fruit from the basket herself while Astraeus helped himself to dried meats and they ate in silence, both preoccupied with their own thoughts on the matter at hand.

"You're still not sleeping? How long has it been?" Astraeus asked his daughter, breaking the silence between them.

Asteria shook her head in response, "Two days. I may ask for a sleeping draught soon.." As tired as she was, however, she didn't believe she'd take it. The nightmares were too real, too vivid and too shocking to wish to return to sleep. It was always the same - searing light, someone screaming her name and then darkness. But it was what was in the darkness that scared her the most - someone whispering to her - horrible things, trying to get her to do awful things to those she loved and she was helpless.

A shuddered rippled through her and she offered her father a soft smile to reassure him. "I'll be fine. Likely I've just been working too hard. Such is the way during mating season."

Astraeus did not miss the shudder but he was not one to pry or push others to talk about things they weren't willing to discuss themselves. Still, he worried.. Perhaps he would see one of the healer mares himself for some kind of remedy to help the mare find peace in sleep.

They passed the time sharing stories between each other - simple things such as the happenings of their days before their meeting, Astraeus explaining his theory of the eclipse and other astrological findings he'd witnessed in the past months. If his calculation was correct, there'd be a stunning meteor shower next month that he'd love to show her. The conversations with her father helped ease some of Asteria's worry and some colour returned to her features, a dim light struggling to stay lit in the dark circles under her eyes.

Soon, members of the flock began to gather on the summit and an excited murmur began to flow between them as everyone made small talk. The crowd began to surround them and the pair shuffled uncomfortably.

"Come with me," the stallion said, gathering his supplies quickly. "I scouted a second location just in case - I don't think anyone will be there - we'll have to fly a little."

Asteria nodded and followed her father, leaving her basket behind to gather later - or not, she had plenty - they travelled away from the summit, towards the peak of the mountain where the terrain was too steep and narrow for even some of the most skilled climbers to traverse. A loyal member of the flock, Astraeus' wings had long since stopped being clipped, allowing him free use and they travelled to a ledge close to the peak of the mountain, large enough for them both to sit comfortably.

"When it starts, only take short glances - it's still the sun and it'll still hurt if you look too long. I'll let you know when it's safe to look for longer."

The mare nodded and settled in as the moon began to shift over the sun. Astraeus began explaining the phenomenon - how it was a once in a lifetime event and why it was happening. Asteria looked up in quick glances in between, having to shut her eyes after each time to blink away the light of the sun. Each time she did, the voice was there whispering at her to keep them open. She focused on her dad's voice to keep her grounded.

"Now," he said finally and they both looked up in awe as the moon blocked out the sun entirely. The world fell into darkness and a chill went through Asteria's body. Down below them, the gathered crowd cheered and whooped - oohing and aahing.

"It'll start ending soon, get ready to look away," came her father's voice behind her.

The moon started shifting, light bleeding back into the world and her father's warning echoed in her mind but Asteria could not look away. Tears streamed down her cheeks as the light seared into her vision, her body screaming in protest to look away. She knew she should but something had a grip on her and she had no control. The voice in her head was no longer a whisper - now a scream as it told her over and over to not look away. To not blink.

Astraeus noticed what was happening too late - how could he even think to look out for such a thing. "Asteria! What are you doing? Close your eyes!" No response came and he shoved at her but she made no response - the only movement coming from her body swaying from his shove.

"Asteria! What's wrong?" His scream was frantic now and he shoved her harder, trying to snap her out of her stupor but still she would not look away. He tried to turn her head, to stand in her way and block her vision but nothing helped. The moon had finished clearing the sun and the midday light beamed into her eyes and he knew it had been too long already and she was at risk but the stallion was helpless. Finally, like the crack of ice melting in Spring, she sucked in a breath and her eyes snapped shut, sobs wracking her body.

Her father was at her side in an instant and she clung to him, her body clammy with sweat and the scent of her fear emanating off her.
"We need to get you to a healer immediately, Asteria. Keep your eyes closed, I'll guide you down. Ready? It's a quick jump down, just fly slowly."
Down they went and Astraeus guided his daughter to the healers' already busy at work treating foals who had dared each other to look for as long as they could - none had lasted longer than a few seconds before their eyes had snapped shut. Asteria had looked for far longer than that.

"We won't know the damage right away, I'm afraid," the healer explained as she looked over the mare. "She'll need to stay in my care overnight at the least. Leave her now, she needs to rest." A squirrel presented her a bowl with a milky substance and Asteria didn't even think twice before drinking it, sleep coming to her immediately and taking her into darkness and peace. There were no nightmares - no visions - no whispers in this sleep. Just nothing.

She awoke confused at the darkness despite the sounds around her but then the feeling of cloth on her face brought clarity. The healer tutted and came to her side, a rustle of feathers indicating her arrival. "Good morning dear," she said gently. "I'll remove the bandage - tell me what you see." The gentle touch of a squirrel unwrapped the cloth from the mares face and her eyes opened. Though there was no physical change to her eyes - the damage had been done.

"Nothing," she said, voice hollow. "I see nothing."  

LOLTERGEIST

Crew

A Knife

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out