Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mythikos

Back to Guilds

A B/C Centaur and Mythological Creature Shop 

Tags: Centaurs, Mythology, Roleplay, Pegasus, Fantasy 

Reply [IC] Chimereid Island RP
[PRP] Meeting Over Mushrooms (Xyris & Selene)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:59 am
User Image He'd finally found himself a place to settle for the time being. His patchwork tent was setup and well secured in a little grove of trees to protect it from the wind. Now it was time to get the lay of the land beyond the basics and do some gathering besides. Xyris set out with a shawl over his shoulders plus small tools and basket in hand. There were mushrooms he'd seen that looked promising, late season greens and signs of tubers as well. If he was lucky perhaps some late season apples?

Despite his careful steps anyone would likely hear before they saw him. His size alone made his stride heavy and he liked to hum as he worked to not pass the time in complete silence.

At the moment he was knelt down examining some of the promising mushrooms. They seemed to be growing well and safe to eat so he plucked a few. As long as he was responsible and careful they would make for a good steady food source.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:56 pm
User Image
Although not too far from her family dwelling, Selene was still farther than she usually roamed. She'd simply been going for a walk, but something had caught her notice. There was a rather perfect path of pebbles lined with daisies that trailed away from her home, and she'd chosen to follow it today. Curiosity often got the better of her, as it did in this case, but she wasn't afraid. There didn't seem to be any large predators about, which was a little curious for this part of the woods, but as she traversed the trail, she soon came to find out why that might be.

There was a quite large elaphotaur seemingly foraging in a grove ahead. Perhaps they'd been frightened away by his presence? "Hello?" she said tentatively, a little concerned that he'd respond the way some elaphotaurs had. She was quite a petite centaur, and not at all frightening. At least, she didn't think she was frightening. That they had fled upon the sight of her indicated they hadn't precisely agreed on that point.

mistalina13

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:40 pm
There were a few soft plonks as mushrooms that had yet to make it into the basket fell from his hands. Xyris' body language would easily read as startled but he didn't bolt. "Hello?" He looked back over his shoulder at her and with him being crouched they were a bit closer to eye level. "Forgive me, I did not mean to trespass. I saw no recent indication of passing or hunting and took it as a positive sign." He wasn't about to judge simply because of her size - he knew it had little to do with might when one was of a mind to do something. Similar judgements had been passed on him before and generally they were wrong.

What was interesting though was she had not sought to attack him. Curious. Perhaps the territory he'd stumbled into was friendly? If it was then that was a little bit of luck on his side.

He was silent for a minute while he turned back and picked up the dropped mushrooms before rising slowly to his full height. "If you will allow, I will only stay the eve and depart when the sun rises." He did not wish to frighten her or cause any trouble. He offered a soft friendly smile, shifted the basket to under one arm.

"I am, ah, Xyris." Probably best to introduce himself before he went and forgot to. Wouldn't be the first time. His free hand rubbed the back of his neck and his cheeks darkened in a blush. "Probably should have said that first, huh?"

Cheri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:26 pm

Oh my. Something seemed to have flustered her new companion, and Selene cocked her head to the side. "It's true that this is my family's land, but you are welcome to forage here," she said diplomatically, a little perturbed by how clearly he evinced signs that her presence was alarming. Maybe alarming was not the right word, but she did feel bad, nonetheless. "My family is welcoming to others, provided they are not... well. Centaurs hunters." Even the Sun herd would be welcome, if they did choose to visit, for all that her parents did not fit into its narrow confines.

Nor she, she would imagine. "Xyris, my name is Selene. Please, be welcome to stay the eve, and however long your trip needs." Ah, sometimes it was a little strange to be a centaur. She knew that others among her kind predated on bucks like this one, which struck her as terribly strange. Was it not very apparent that he was sentient? Fortunately, he mentioned nothing about that and she chose not to bring it up. "Ha! Don't worry. We don't stand on ceremony around here. It's not that big of a deal... but nice of you to introduce yourself, anyway."

mistalina13

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:02 pm
"Thank you." She needn't worry about the momentarily upset, he gradually relaxed and settled as their conversation progressed. "It is lovely to meet you Selene."

Centaur hunters? That earned her a thoughtful look and a shake of his head. He'd heard of others engaging in the practice, but fighting - let alone bloodshed - was not Xyris' way of doing things. He went out of his way to avoid it if at all possible. So she would have no concerns with him on that front.

"I do not plan to linger overly long. I still need to find a good seasonal shelter and sure up my store of food before winter arrives." His wandering had brought him far from where he'd been last winter so that shelter wasn't an option this time. "My tent is lovely in the warmer months and into the Fall. But once there is snow it doesn't do so well." And it was a bit late in the season to go looking for properly oiled fabric to help it manage any better.

"How far does your family's land extend?" Before coming here it had been rather hit and miss with finding other friendly groups.

Cheri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:13 pm

Selene's eyes light up as a solution dawned on her. "Oh! Oh, why don't your pray to a fire spirit to bless the tent and keep it warm during the winter months? My family has the aid of a fire spirit keeping an oven and a smithy warm. Surely a spirit could help with this!" She supposed that not every single family group or herd had such close ties to the spirits, but so far she had found them to be very amendable. "Maybe if you were to leave it an offering, it would repay the favor?" When it came to offerings, she knew plenty of things that a fire spirit might like.

But even the provisions that he was gathering had the potential to be an offering. "It's much better than having to always find shelter, unless you actually enjoy that." If he liked his tent, why not use it? Maybe it seemed obvious to her, but probably wasn't quite so obvious to someone else who had been living off of the land with little aid from the spirits and gods. She'd been very fortunate so far and wanted to spread her good fortune to others, if she could. "Ahh... do you see the daisies that line this path? I believe my family's lands extends so far as they do." It seemed just like her parents to decorate their lands in such a fashion.

mistalina13

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm
"Good to know." The daisies were an easy to keep track of sign that he was in safe territory.

He smiled sheepishly and scrubbed the back of his neck again. "To be honest it is not something that has ever occurred to me. And I'm not entirely sure how to go about it?" It wasn't a practice he'd grown up with. He learned a little of spirits from his mother, mostly that they should be thanked when you harvested food or materials and that he should try not to piss any of them off if it could be helped. Anything more than that was a mystery to him but he was quite clearly curious. "Would you be able to show me how to do it?" Assuming she didn't mind of course.

Cheri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:11 pm

Ahh, he was not familiar with this practice! Well, that was hardly a problem. Selene did not at all mind lending a hand or hoof, here. "When it comes to spirits, usually you would first pray and ask for help, which I can do with you, but you would also leave an offering that the spirit might enjoy. For example, a nice cut of grass, a shiny rock, a handful of mushrooms, or fresh flowers. Sometimes my parents leave behind jewelry, too, depending on what the spirits seem to like. But since you don't have a spirit in particular that's aiding you, you could try any offering and see what provides assistance."

This was becoming a bit of a lexture, Selene realized. "A lot of it is intention. So, I would pray with the intention that your tent be given a blessing of warmth in winter." She dipped into her pouch and withdrew a beaded bracelet that her father had made. Thus far she hadn't found the right use for it, but now seemed as good a time as any. "Perhaps this would do?" she asked, offering the beads to Xyris.

mistalina13

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:01 pm
He wasn't bothered at all by the lesson and listened intently. "That makes sense." In theory it seemed simple enough. The offering part might be a little hit or miss unless one in particular took a liking to him it seemed like? Thank goodness for Selene's suggestions otherwise he wouldn't have had a clue of what to try and start with. Many of those things were easy enough to come by at least...

The offered of jewelry surprised him though, his ears perking up. "Are you certain....?" This was something of hers??? "I should at least give you something in exchange for it, or at least for helping me."

Cheri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:12 pm

Oh! Well. That was a very nice sentiment. Not totally necessary, in Selene's opinion, but a nice sentiment all the same. She smiled slightly, extending her hand out a little further. "This bracelet was made by my father. I can get another one, if I'd like one, but the spirits can't. So, I don't think it's a big deal at all if you'd like to use it. But... perhaps in exchange for the bracelet, can you show me how to forage for mushrooms?" she asked, since it did seem like a useful skill. "Those ones, at least. I know there are many different types and not all are edible or should be eaten."

She kept the bracelet held out, waiting to see if the buck would accept her gift. "Besides which, the spirits like it when you're giving. You know? I think it helps you to be lucky. And why not wait to decide until after the blessing's worked?" she suggested. After all, there was a small chance no spirit would be around to accept the offering. She did think that there likely would be one, however. Tail flicking lightly, she watched Xyris and hoped that she hadn't offended him with the offering.

mistalina13

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:55 pm
"Your father made it?" He brushed his fingers over the beads and her hand before picking the bracelet up to examine it more closely. "It's lovely." Even with the various sizes of them the loop looked so small in his palm. He would just have to be very careful with it so it wasn't lost or damaged before it was needed. "Thank you." His cheeks flushed and he focused on tucking the bracelet away in a pouch to settle himself.

"I can certainly do that. Though we'll have to find another patch first. You don't want to take too much at once otherwise it's harder for the plant to recover." He'd seen a few other patches around so they wouldn't be hard to find.

Xyris had already started looking until he realized what she said. "Wait until it's...?" Oh. "If you'd rather do it that way around we can too."

Cheri

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:47 pm

"Yes, my father makes jewelry, for the most part... although he can make pots and pans, if he must. Recently my parents started making candles," she added, for not particular reason, except that she was rather proud of how enterprising and ingenious they were. Both parents, for her dad usually knew how to trade or gather supplies. Among other things. They seemed to help each other out in their work. "He's a jeweler. So, these beads are one of the normal things he makes." Which was a funny way of saying that her dad had also taken up glassblowing, in addition to everything they did together. Or... so she assumed. Maybe they traded for the beads and he assembled the bracelets, made the silver bits and bobs.

She smiled. "Let's do it this way, just so that we can be sure you're getting something out of it, too." Although she was very certain everything would go well. The spirits were kind, most of the time, and giving. Especially when you had something to exchange. They also sometimes seemed to like to be useful. "Good to know, about mushrooms. The individual mushrooms popping up from the ground are all part of the same plant, I take it?" If she noticed Xyris's fluster, she was mercifully silent on the subject.

mistalina13

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:04 pm
"For this type it is, yes. Some varieties grow separate from each other." Some even had to be handled and prepared differently so they were safe to eat or be used in medicines. He reached into his basket and plucked out a mushroom, offering it to her. "It is safe to eat raw as well, but the texture doesn't appeal to everyone." He got another for himself and bit into it. It was much spongier than it's cooked counterpart.

"Your parents are very talented. Do you have craft work you like to do yourself too?" Or had her interest caught onto something else entirely?

And it seemed a good idea to ask before he got too carried away in a different conversation - "For these prayers is it best they are done at my dwelling?"

Cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:36 pm

How fascinating. Selene had never known much about mushrooms. It was clear that this fellow was much more familiar with them and their particular growing patterns. "How interesting," she said, surprising herself with how curious she genuinely was about something she'd hitherto dismissed as a possible source of sustenance. After all, a lot of fungus was not safe to eat, though the one he offered to her seemed quite clearly edible. She accepted the mushroom and took a bite of her own.

Oh! It was... somewhat springy, not an altogether unpleasant texture. A texture that she was not particularly accustomed to, but not a bad one, to be sure. Hmm. "This isn't bad at all," she remarked, contemplating what he'd asked her. Did she have craft work that she, in particular, liked to do? Or was she sort of just doing what her parents did because she was used to it? That she was not certain of... and he hadn't asked.

"I do a lot of the same things my parents do, but I don't think I'm anywhere near as talented," she admitted, for her interest in offerings and working with spirits was somewhat higher. "This, this thing that we're hoping to do... this is more of what I like. Working with the spirits, leaving the right offerings, saying the right words. If that makes sense?" But he had a good point, and one she should have considered sooner. "Oh! The prayers probably would be best done at your dwelling, as you'll want them attached to it and not to you. It does work better when it's a fixed object, I've found."

mistalina13

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

mistalina13
Crew

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:40 pm
Xyris smiled when she seemed pleased by the mushroom. He appreciated her curiosity to try it rather than turning her nose up at it just because it was unfamiliar.

"Much of talent also comes from practice as I've been told." And her parents had had a fair bit longer to do that than she would have so far. But she would get that experience too given the time. His own talents of a similar nature lay in basket weaving... which did give him an idea. If they were to forage once the blessing was done she should have her own basket. He had one nearly done that would serve the purpose well. It just needed a strap and handles to accommodate her.

He nodded in understanding when she continued to explain. So she was more spiritual than a crafter? He wondered briefly how she'd found her way to that path instead but it did seem a little invasive to ask. "It does."

Inviting the spirit to bless his tent made sense, especially if the spirit was to linger around. A fire spirit likely would probably not appreciate being out in the rain or the snow. He certainly wouldn't like being accidentally snuffed out if he was one.

"This way then." It was an easy conversation to continue as he began retracing his path back to his tent. "Can I ask how you would even go about learning what a spirit likes?"

Cheri

[IC] Chimereid Island RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff