3. Embrace diversity, learn about a different custom from another soquili and tell about it or how it has affected you.

User ImageUser Image

Terrance loved being with his family no matter how old they got. But it was time for him to adventure out and meet a new friend. This was something he did every year since it was a way for him to tell new tales to his family.

As he trudged through the forest, with his hooves hitting the ground, he saw some beautiful golden butterflies against a red-lit sky. He felt a sense of awe and joy he hadn't experienced since childhood. He thought to himself, if he could find a friend in this place, it would be the perfect way to tell his family an exciting story when he returned. Plus he could have a good time too.

That was when all of a sudden he was tackled by a red-ish orange mare with firefly spots. He had never seen a creature like this before and he was filled with a sense of amazement. He felt a connection with the creature like an old friendship had been reignited. He thought that this was meant to be, that this was the perfect way to show his family back home the incredible things he had seen during his travels.

"Oww... I mean it's a pleasure to meet you, madam," he said as he readjusted his scarf that had gotten tussled in the tackle.

"Oh my gosh, I am so so so so sorry!" she exclaimed as the mare got up in a hurry and helped the stallion to his feet. Once she did so she bowed and said, "I apologize but I must go. Tradition states that I must catch one of those butterflies or my whole family will have bad luck all year." With that, she raced off after the butterflies.

As he got to his feet he quickly chased after the mare, since he definitely needed to know what she was talking about. "What on earth are you talking about?" he questioned.

She responded while trying to stay on the butterflies' tail. "Well it all started a long time ago, or so I'm told. My great-great-great grandfather moved to this area and everything was pleasant and picturesque. Then it all turned bad and by bad I mean our land got dark. So dark it never saw any light." She attempted to jump up and catch one of the butterflies and just missed it.

"Aw man so close, but as I was saying, it seemed like my family might have to leave this land if they couldn't find a solution. Just then these butterflies showed up and lit up the land with their brilliant colors. Their beauty and energy gave hope to my family and all the other people living in the area. They knew then that brighter days were ahead and everything would be alright. So he reached up and touched the butterfly with his hooves and everything became light again. So ever since then to keep the light one family member has been tasked with catching a butterfly and then releasing it so the light will stay."

Terrance's eyes shined like golden stars. This story or tradition was so beautiful. Terrance felt so inspired by the story that he vowed to pass it down to future generations of his family. He knew it was a special story and a reminder that light and hope can be found in even the smallest of things.

But before he could run off and tell the tale to his family, he needed to help this mare. He ran off in front of the butterflies and jumped high. He hoped he would force them back towards the Mare.

Luck was in his favor as the butterflies changed direction. Just then the mare jumped and nuzzled the nearest butterfly to her. "I did! The tradition has been completed! Thank you so much. I'm Fia'lena!"

He slowed down his pace and stood in front of the bouncing mare. "Fia'lena, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Terrance Chamblerland," he said with a bow and smile.

"Nice to meet you, and I apologize for meeting and running. But I must be off my family must hear the good news," she said before bowing to him and running off towards her home.

"What a unique mare," he said with a laugh as he watched the mare race off. He shook his head and smiled. He knew he would see her again in the future, and he was looking forward to it. He began to walk back to his own home, still smiling about their brief but memorable encounter. Already excited to tell his family about his newly acquired acquaintance.

word count: 773