Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Getting To Know You
Guild Book Review Club

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:00 pm
Hey everyone. I started to a 'book club'.

Basically when we finish a book we can announce what we thought of the book that we just finished and what are next reading goal is. Or what group of books were reading. Please feel free to put down what you'd like or comment on other peoples book choices.

Don't forget to give recommendations.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:47 pm
Last Book Finished:
Skull Wars
Genre: Non-fiction, Anthropology, Native American Studies
By: David Hurst Thomas
What's it about:
It's about the conflict between Archeology/Anthropology and Native American culture and rights. It also includes how ideas have evolved.

What I thought:
This book is a popular book for university professors to assign in Washington. I plan on giving it to my brother since he's in an archeology program.

While I gained a lot of good knowledge and would recommend someone who is interested in the subject to read this, I do have some issues with it as well.

First of all he wrote this book in 2000, only four years after the Kennewick Man discovery. Historians wait five years for a reason. It makes the point of writing the book a little weak, though it's clear the writer is in support of NA rights.

My other issue is during this time language of what we call people was changing. The writer seems to disregrade the rising use of Native American vs. Indian which looks a little barbaric, I pushed through with the idea that it was a product of it's time, but I had changed my language as a ten year old by this time, let alone this guy as a professor.

Books I'm currently reading:

Okinawa: An Island People
Genre: Non-Fiction, Japanese History
By: George Kerr
Why: I like history of minority peoples. I may also use this for a possible doctorial degree if I choose to.
What's it about:
The book covers the history of Okinawa up into the 1950s.

Sasquatch: Legend Mets Science
Genre: Non-Fiction, Folklore, Cryptozoology
By: Jeff Meldrum
Why: I volunteered for a bigfoot convention for fun and Dr. Meldrum was a guest. I hope to finish it by the next time there's a bigfoot con in my area.
What's it about:
This book discusses the science behind the belief of Bigfoot. This book is based on a documentry.

The Story of English
Genre: Non-Fiction, Historical Linguistics
By: Robert McCrum, William Cran, and Robert MacNeil
Why: I think linguistics are fun.
What's it about:
A discussion on the history of the English Langauge. This book is based on a PBS series.

Plutopia
Genre: Non-Fiction, Cold War, History
By: Kate Brown
Why: I'm going to use it for working on a master's thesis in the future. I thought I'd do a jump start.
What's it about:
This book is about the two communities Richland, WA (where I was born) and a town in Russia that were both the product of arms races and the cold war. It discusses the interventions of the government and the lives of the people in each area.

Dragon Bones
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, High Fantasy
By: Patricia Briggs
Why: I read a good bit of her books. I also want to get into reading fiction more since I read a lot of non-fiction documents and books.
What's it about:
It's about a guy who's family castle is taken over and he leaves with his siblings to keep them safe.

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Getting To Know You

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers