User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Temujin finally found himself some time to rest, to hunt for himself, to socialize outside of his recently quite small world of nursing and recovery. Not for himself. He had come across a young wolf, not even a year old, injured, ill, alone. Nitza, that's the name she gave him when he had asked, after assuring her that he didn't have interest in hurting her. He had wanted to help. Being as young as she was, without a pack to feed and teach her, she was sure to die. The shifter took it upon himself to help feed her, held her recover from her wounds, as well as gradually working on expanding her knowledge as far as hunting goes.

Nitza was having a good stint lately. The weather was fair and she was fed, so Temujin was giving himself a few hours break. He set to wandering and after an hour or so, he caught a scent that he hadn't smelled in a few months. A friend. Temujin set to following the trail to catch up with this companion. He hadn't realized he had been moving through the area, granted he himself had been preoccupied with getting Nitza back on her feet and helping her get where she needed to be as far as what she needed to know.

The kalona mix was of a similar age to himself and had been his good friend for a number of years. Once he felt like he was getting close, Temujin called out for him, slowly turning his head and ears to try to pin down any response. After a few minutes, he did hear his own name called back to him, followed by the beating of wings. Turning his silvery gaze skyward, Temujin scooted back to allow for plenty of landing space.

"Nyred! It's been a while. How've you been? I haven't seen you around lately..."

After coming in to land Nyred shook himself and folded his leathery wings upon his back. "Hey, Temujin... You know, I've been around. Here and there. Keeping busy... I haven't caught sight of you lately. What's had you cooped up so? You normally get around a good bit. You haven't found someone to hole up with, have you?" His tone turning teasing.

Temujin snorted and shook his head. "No, I haven't taken a significant other. I've been helping a young wolf, a pup really, get back on all four of her feet. She was scared, hurt, had a broken bone, sick. That's where I've been. She's been making a lot of progress. Once her strength is up some, I'm going to help her get her hunting down. She's too young to be on her own..."

The kalona mix was quiet for a few beats, his eyes seemingly searching Temujin's face before averting his gaze to look around. "Huh..." He began finally. "Didn't strike me as the mother hen type, Temujin... Or, den mother, considering your ward, I suppose. How- uh, how long have you been playing nurse maid?"

The shifter paused to ponder. "Mm...Several weeks? Why? Have you been trying to find me?"

It was Nyred's turn to shake his head. "I've been wondering where you were but I haven't been looking for you. I've made some passes in my comings and goings but not looking for you specifically. How's it been with your, ah, pup?"

Temujin angled his head. "It's been a lot of work. She's still growing so the healing process has been a bit more painful for her. She's been a trooper though. She's eating well and getting stronger every day. I'm sorry, why so focused on Nitza? You never cared for kids or anything that might 'slow us down'."

A pained, tight sort of expression passed across Nyred's features. "You named her?"

"No. I didn't name her. Her mother did. Her mother whom she got separated from. She couldn't or wouldn't go into detail if she remembered what happened, or how she got lost. I didn't want to distress her more. Nyred... Why the questions?"

The kalona mix shook his head, shaking out his wings to boot. "Can't I be curious what my friend has been up to? I said you didn't seem the den mother sort so this is all different..."

"You can be plenty curious. I'm happy to answer questions. You seem like something is bothering you. Do you know something?"

There was a long pause. "Not about her..."

Temujin's ears drew back slowly as he stared down his friend. "Nyred... What are you talking about?"

"Does it even matter? You said she'd doing fine and is on the mend, your Nitza... Temujin, aren't things fine?"

"You're being cagey which is suspect on its own. Either what do you know or what happened?"

The hybrid let another several long, pregnant beats pass without speaking. "Fine... Since you're insisting on knowing... Your pup, is she largely white and black, maybe with some markings?" Temujin's ears snapping forward in attention at the question was enough to prompt Nyred to keep going. "A little less than two months ago, I hunted and ate what I thought was a lone wolf. It was a she-wolf. She seemed especially harried, kept running in erratic arcs and zig zags away... Didn't think anything of it. Prey doesn't normally think logically in pursuit, you know... She was mostly black and white; I could tell she had previously had a litter..."

His words trailed off and a tense silence fell over the pair. The winds changed causing the trees around them to rustle and bow their leafy heads. "Did you even take a single moment to consider your prey, Nyred?" Temujin began, breaking the silence between them. "Did you look? I'd bet she was trying to keep you away from her child... Trying to draw you away. Did you chase the first thing you saw? Or did you take the time to actually hunt and consider your next meal? I'm going to guess the former..."

The kalona mix opened his mouth to try and protest, which the shifter shut down with a sharp tut. Temujin's steely eyes remained locked on his friend's. None of what happened to Nitza would have happened if Nyred had taken the time to watch, observe, consider. Temujin was utterly disappointed in the carelessness, seething about what happened to the sweet, young pup he was taking care of. She hadn't asked for any of it, nor her mother. Didn't deserve it, neither of them did.

A curl of distaste wrinkled his snout, disappointment evident on his face. "You carried on without any thought, without consideration..." He shook his head as he turned. "I really thought you carried yourself to a higher standard. We've even discussed before about not hunting like mindless, slavering predators... That we could be examples... I think we're done here today..." He turned and started back towards his temporary home.

"You've changed, Temujin!" Nyred called after him.

"Have I?" He answered coolly and sharply. "Or have I simply maintained my stance on being a better example? We can try this again another day... Right now, I think we both need to think... Good day, Nyred... Don't follow me."

With that, he shifted to his feral form and left, weaving through the trees.

[WC: 1212]