CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:48 pm
Welcome to Filler Meeting the Mermaid Princess RP Guild.

Filler 4 - Command Prompt for DOS Games

BGM: Squoosh Game (Putt Putt Travels Through Time)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Narrator's Editorial:
The idea of the fillers was originally to just give me a break from my usual duties. As such, filler are typically (thought not always) done faster and with less effort (actually varies considerably)  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:55 pm
User Image
User Image

= Filler Part 1: Running a DOS Game
*The Narrator tinkers with DOS*
Narrator: Hello there and welcome to another Filler. Now you're wondering what the blinking cursor is on my blank screen is for? Well, this is the Command Prompt and its learning curve seems simple enough when it comes to DOS Computers or in this case, DOSBox, so we'll go through this together as we'll use NHL 96 as an example. One of the last EA Sports Games to support MS DOS in 1995.

Most Computer has Drives and Folders since 1997 to the Present but from the 1980s to 1996, it was Drives & Directories.
So they have a letter assigned to it based on its system...
= Hard Drive
= DVD/CD Drive
= 3 1/2 Floppy (5 1/4 Floppy Excluded)

First, you'll need to mount a folder on the system so lets say that NHL96 is in the CDROM Folder, I would enter...
"Mount [Insert Drive Letter]/CDROM/NHL96" then enter.
Doing so mounts the Game itself, next is to mount the CD Drive by entering, "Mount [Insert CD Letter] -t cdrom" then enter which will mount the NHL96.
Finally to enter NHL96, enter the Drive Letter to go into the NHL96 Mount.

All Applications end in either .exe, .bat and .com, so when we use a DIR *.exe search, it shows a file called HOCKEY.exe which is required to run NHL96, so enter HOCKEY and there you have it.

One thing to note DOS is that that Star Key is considered a Wild Card in some ways when doing a directory search.
The Narrator said to Melodie and Peach

Queentintin

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Queentintin
Vice Captain

Fashionable Delight

33,100 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:42 am
Peach
Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom

Wow you have a DOSBox, incredible, thanks so much for explaining the different commands and prompts mother will be along shortly, I thought for sure the Narrator, was going to give us a heads up on future events *smiles* and now I see why he was set on Kanna being Leviathan and her friends, specially Leviathan , hope Kanna appreciates , anyhow, we'll leave him alone in Amarylis .
thinks my mother needs her codes still

CrystBalfast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:39 am
User Image
User Image

= Filler Part 2: Other Commands
Narrator: Well, once Layla's coding is done, Leviathan can get cleaned up and we'll see her in her signature sundress.

Anyway, DOS can do more than run programs as there's other commands such RD and MD meaning "Remove Directory" & "Make Directory". CD/ returns you to your Root Directory but to go back one directory CD.. does so.
2 Other Commands that are unnecessary in DOSBox are Copy and Del meaning "Copy/Delete Files".

/? will tell you more about the command if you have no clue. Risky Woods may have something like this but I don't really know how because the sound setup for that game complicated to get into where after installation, its PC Speaker sound is the Default setup.

Mixer Command shows the volume levels of its sound emulation. Entering Mixer followed by a Number:Number will change the volume.

Boot Command boots up floppy disk image files from bootloaders like Pinball Construction Set & F-15 Strike Eagle.

If you're planning to Early Network Gaming on DOS, you'll need to not only buy the game but also learn how IPXNET Command works but its best to read the manual to learn how it works.

Lastly, to end DOSBox, you just need to enter EXIT when you need to change some DOSBox Configuration Settings from Windows. If you want to know the basics of DOSBox, you just need to enter INTRO.

One last advanced thing is that since spaces have a special meaning and since there's an 8 Character limit in the DOS Computers, its best to keep them out of folder names. However, DOSBox has a way around it in quotes...
So if NHL96 was in a Windows Format Name, you would go...
mount [Insert Drive Letter] "[Drive Letter]/Electronic Arts/NHL 96".
Then enter HOCKEY to start if you're playing the DOS Version. That is of course, after you mount your CD Drive in DOSBox before doing so.

Without this method, it will throw off DOS's command and won't work.
Anyway, that should do it for this quick Filler on DOSBox Command Prompts.
The Narrator said to Melodie and Peach

Queentintin

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Queentintin
Vice Captain

Fashionable Delight

33,100 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:57 am
Peach
Thanks for interesting, you sure know a lot on DOS and it's formatting, so many different special prompts and keys, coding 3nodding ok so it's also a directory of sorts, fascinating,=) and yes manuals help quite a bit .
thinks thanks for sharing

CrystBalfast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:04 am
User Image
User Image

= Filler Part 2: Other Commands
Narrator: YW. Looking forward to seeing your birth parents on earth to start along with seeing your mother and father, Peach?
Other than that, that's all for this Filler. I hope everyone will have a nice Summer 2024.
As for Journey into Dreams, Some Assembly Required Path 1, we're getting closer to the end.
I have a few more posts before wrapping up the current day in the IC and then the Spring Festival Event.
The Narrator said to Peach

Queentintin

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Queentintin
Vice Captain

Fashionable Delight

33,100 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:00 pm
Peach

I sure am, what great news =) and thanks for giving us a heads up Mister Narrator =)
thinks of going to the spring festival with Riku aw biggrin

CrystBalfast

General OOC

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces