Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
IT'S A VERB, NOT A NOUN! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

daggersnatch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:06 pm
Okay, it seems like the entire world has gone stupid.

First off, 'quote'is a verb; 'quotation' is a noun.
And yet, major websites. companies, everyone, will still say quote instead of quotation.
Major companies are going crazy with it:
-- "Get a free direct quote today!" (Progressive.com)
Even websites dedicated to quotations are named things like:
-- WorldofQuotes.com (Do I love that place? Yes, but the name hurts my heart...)

Please people, stop the stupidity!

Discuss:
-- Words that are commonly screwed up
-- A major mistake on a prossional level piece of writing, ect.
-- Other stuff that I can't think of right now, but pertains somehow to the topic...
-- Cinnamon scented candles  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:35 pm
I hate that! I'll admit to doing that specific one with 'quote' and 'quotation', but can you really blame a young teenager who has idiocy surrounding her? Well, I suppose you could...

I dislike it when people use words wrong. For example, if someone says, "Lemme google it," I'll go crazy. Google is the proper name fort he website, not the action of searching! >_<;; (I'm a bit high-strung)

I love cinammon scented candles. They're my favorite. Followed by vanilla. The next best candle-scent is fresh peach. I adore Yankee Candle...

La Diavola

KiraLight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:53 pm
Thank you!!I thought I was the only person in the world who noticed that. Even my dad looked at me like I was crazy when I pointed that same mistake out on one of his business receipts.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:07 pm
La Diavola
I hate that! I'll admit to doing that specific one with 'quote' and 'quotation', but can you really blame a young teenager who has idiocy surrounding her? Well, I suppose you could...

I dislike it when people use words wrong. For example, if someone says, "Lemme google it," I'll go crazy. Google is the proper name fort he website, not the action of searching! >_<;; (I'm a bit high-strung)

I love cinammon scented candles. They're my favorite. Followed by vanilla. The next best candle-scent is fresh peach. I adore Yankee Candle...

I've never smelled a peach scented one before...next time I go to Yankee Candle, I'll check it out...even though it's heard to really smell anything in there because of all the other scents.  

daggersnatch

Mutturqueen

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:48 pm
I've never really noticed that...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:41 pm
I hate it when girls from the valley say "I'm, like, totaly gone!" and leave and stuff like that. It's not gone. It's going. Or leaving.

But quote has not really bothered me. It seems to be used so much as a noun, that soon it will become one.

And cinnimon candels are ok.  

lola_siannodel

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:40 pm
KiraLight
Thank you!!I thought I was the only person in the world who noticed that. Even my dad looked at me like I was crazy when I pointed that same mistake out on one of his business receipts.

Then why does it say "Quote of the Week" in your signature?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:11 am
Marketing ploy.  

Doombringer50

Jill_Frost

Greedy Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:56 am
Quote:

noun (plural quotes)

Definitions:

1. literature ( informal )
Same as quotation (sense 1)

2. printing
Same as quotation mark ( often used in the plural )

3. North America business estimate for work: an estimated price for a job or service

-as per MSN Encarta dictionary

Sorry folks, it is a noun. This is what we should be having a problem with: bootylicious was accepted into the English lexicon as a word. Is it something in the drinking water that is making everyone stupid? Stop the world; I want to get off.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:47 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
KiraLight

Then why does it say "Quote of the Week" in your signature?
Quotation of the Week got too many questions like "Why don't you just put quote of the week, it's a lot shorter th an quotations", "quotation of the week? wtf?"
and "It's quote of the week. stop trying to act smart"  

KiraLight

Transiberian Orchestra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:55 am
Uhm. x_<
You do know that there are different definitions for the word 'quote,' right?

Which, in turn, can turn the word quote from a verb to a noun and other.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:44 pm
I think quote can be used as a noun in reference to a price quote. Quotation is more like when one is quoting a saying.

As for "googling" stuff, I'll admit I do use that. It's kind of a new verb, but I can see where some might not like it to be used that way.

I've also used "I'm gone", but can see where that would be a problem as well.

I'm not much into scented candles. Insence on the othre hand...

cinnimon cinnamon, candels candles  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:35 am
Cinnamon scented candles! blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:19 am
Jill_Frost
Quote:

noun (plural quotes)

Definitions:

1. literature ( informal )
Same as quotation (sense 1)

2. printing
Same as quotation mark ( often used in the plural )

3. North America business estimate for work: an estimated price for a job or service

-as per MSN Encarta dictionary

Sorry folks, it is a noun. This is what we should be having a problem with: bootylicious was accepted into the English lexicon as a word. Is it something in the drinking water that is making everyone stupid? Stop the world; I want to get off.

What Jill said.

I like cinnamon candles, but not cinnamon potpourri. It's too strong and gives me a headache.

Ava R.

3,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Nami Tsuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:48 pm
wow really?

*looks in dictionary*

you mean you can't use the word 'quote' like this?:

"I have a quote from Shakespeare."

or...