Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Since this is a literate guild.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:28 pm
This topic is dedicated to something I've noticed connecting to literacy.

I've noticed a strange connection between lack of literacy and crime. I mean, there's alot more crime now, and have you noticed that alot of the crime that is concidered common nowadays, like gang violence, robberies, and to some extent murder, are all normaly commited by people who don't read? Most of the teenagers who say that reading sucks are cool kids, and also tend to get high, drunk, and laid. The world is becoming a sad, sad place to live. Ok, this is America. I'm not sure how things are in otehr countries, but I have noticed that in, let's say, Japan, not only are grades higher and school systems beter, but there is alot less crime there.

So, what I'm asking you is, do you think there is a connection between decline in literacy and increase in crime? Discuss.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:32 pm
Criminologists would claim that our peers (both through media and local peers) pressure us to have wealth and be successful. For children with opportunities (like a solid education), this means graduating from high school, having a marketable talent and beginning work or continuing to college, getting a good career, and making money to earn these things. That is how an accepted member of society becomes successful. However, a child without opportunities is still under the pressure from his peers to succeed; thus he cannot follow this chain of events to success and benefit from an alleviation of social pressure. Thus, the underpriviledged occasionally resort to crime in order to reach the end result of being wealthy and having nice things and enjoying a reduction from social pressures to succeed.

All of that to say that a connection between a good education and a reduction of crime rates does exist.  

Jill_Frost

Greedy Gaian

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 pm
Jill_Frost
Criminologists would claim that our peers (both through media and local peers) pressure us to have wealth and be successful. For children with opportunities (like a solid education), this means graduating from high school, having a marketable talent and beginning work or continuing to college, getting a good career, and making money to earn these things. That is how an accepted member of society becomes successful. However, a child without opportunities is still under the pressure from his peers to succeed; thus he cannot follow this chain of events to success and benefit from an alleviation of social pressure. Thus, the underpriviledged occasionally resort to crime in order to reach the end result of being wealthy and having nice things and enjoying a reduction from social pressures to succeed.

All of that to say that a connection between a good education and a reduction of crime rates does exist.

Yes. That does have alot to do with it, doesn't it?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:02 am
I think I sort of smooshed this thread... sweatdrop Sorry.  

Jill_Frost

Greedy Gaian

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:02 am
Lack of literacy equals lack of intelligence, in most cases. In the same breath, you have to be pretty stupid to destroy your life with drugs and crime. I see a connection there.

I'd also like to say, for the record, that being literate does not always make a person smart.  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:51 pm
In Japan don't they have the Yakuza? That's like the mafia. Also, I don't believe that intelligent people don't commit crimes, they're just harder to catch. smile I do think that lack of education leads to despair. I mean, look at the inner cities, or poor southern areas. Overcrowded schools, bad teachers, gangs - a kid doesn't have a chance if he has no education. The despair comes from the lack of opportunities he sees around him. It's easier to fall in with gangs, drugs.. that's a situation where no education can be a boon. He doesn't have to worry about what he knows or doesn't know, because he's in a similar situation as those he falls in with.

I do also think that some people like the rush of crime. That adrenaline rush is the same if you're smart or dumb. I think it can become an addiction, like gambling or drugs.

Just my opinion. biggrin  

Aramethea

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Being literate and intelligent opens up doors that are simply not open to an illiterate. You certainly can't get a job if you can't fill out the app.

The real problem is as was mentioned, with the pressure to accumulate wealth and things. We may be more advanced and productive now than we were a century ago, but are we happier? I think not. I'd rather have less money, fewer things and more time. But that's just how I am.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of having a part time job that pays minimum wage and living in a dingy apartment. I don't need to live in a "monster home" as we call them in Michigan, nor do I need a Hummer or an HDTV. Good computer and cable Net are a must, but those can be obtained with the aforementioned part time job.

As for Japan, they're not a utopia. Yes, they have brighter students and consistently better scores than we do. But there's so much pressure. Many students who can't rise to the occassion commit suicide. Yes, there are criminal gangs know as yakuzas and no doubt many of the youths who don't succeed and also don't commit suicide end up joining them.

The answer is to quit spending money we don't have on things we don't need. Live within your means. Work less, buy less and be happy and literate!  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:22 pm
Amen Shinobi!! Beautifully said. Except for the money thing.... I like being able to go get what I want. But I've tried not to let that get in the way of the really important stuff. It's tough, but it can be done.  

Aramethea

Falzar Askura

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:53 am
Hmm yeah, I aree with Shinobi about Japan. But it's the same for quite a few eastern countries. China, India, Japan- all strive for excellence in their education. Japan and China get the main burden of it as their children are usually only childs and therefore need to do well and be successful. One bad grade and it's not a happy life.

I also agree that intelligent people can commit crimes too. They're only considered stupid when the flaw in their plan is found and they are caught. Silly mistakes lead to prison.

Illiterates can be smart... I know a few but I think it's the only few smart illiterates in England ...ever.
Those who can't get a job because they aren't as educated tend to steal. And it's usually stealing from little corner shops or supermarkets.
Those who are smart go for banks and spend months planning it too.
Aramethea- you're right, it's mainly a rush and addiction. Because even after getting out of prison they carry on.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:42 pm
About Japanese gangs: I didn't say they don't have crime at all. I said alot less. I'm talking about crime rates.  

lola_siannodel

Razten Mizuten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:30 am
Those with intelegence do commit crimes.
However they have the intelegence to not get caught, unlike the idiots who think that if they have a gun everything will be okay.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:51 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Being literate and intelligent opens up doors that are simply not open to an illiterate. You certainly can't get a job if you can't fill out the app.

The real problem is as was mentioned, with the pressure to accumulate wealth and things. We may be more advanced and productive now than we were a century ago, but are we happier? I think not. I'd rather have less money, fewer things and more time. But that's just how I am.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of having a part time job that pays minimum wage and living in a dingy apartment. I don't need to live in a "monster home" as we call them in Michigan, nor do I need a Hummer or an HDTV. Good computer and cable Net are a must, but those can be obtained with the aforementioned part time job.

As for Japan, they're not a utopia. Yes, they have brighter students and consistently better scores than we do. But there's so much pressure. Many students who can't rise to the occassion commit suicide. Yes, there are criminal gangs know as yakuzas and no doubt many of the youths who don't succeed and also don't commit suicide end up joining them.

The answer is to quit spending money we don't have on things we don't need. Live within your means. Work less, buy less and be happy and literate!
You did say you hated your 56K connection... confused  

Zealot of Insanity

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:45 pm
Lack of literacy usually is indicitave of lack of intelligence. Lack of intelligence is usually involved in crime. To me, it's as simple as that.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:06 pm
I once read this book called "Dumbing it Down: Why American Kids Feel Good About Themselves But Can't Read, Write or Add". Let's not forget that when I visited the USA, I saw that on the news every night, there were reports of rape, stabbings, shootings and robberies.  

Galadedrid Damodred

Semper Idem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:51 am
lola_siannodel
About Japanese gangs: I didn't say they don't have crime at all. I said alot less. I'm talking about crime rates.

Crime rates are still pretty high in Japan--the ratio is nearly the same as that of the US--their police force is just much better than ours is.

There's about a 90% chance that you'll get caught doing something illegal in Japan, whereas the US numbers are significantly lower.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff