Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
felting wool Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

acornio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:46 pm
i'm making some felted wool slippers by crocheting the wool yarn and then felting it, but it seems like the felting is taking FOREVER, so i was just wondering if anyone else had ever felted, so i wouldnt feel like i've messed up. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:02 pm
cant say I know a thing about it
sorry

ask at the textiles and crafts forum too
there are more people there,
you are more likely to get seen by somebody who knows  

I be me
Vice Captain

KariudoMegami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:11 pm
Knitty has a good article on it. 3nodding Link  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:11 pm
how are you doing it? the best way i have heard is throwing it in the washing machine on hot water with a pair of jeans to agitate it. Check it after 5 minutes and then check it every minute to see how far along its going. Every yarn is different so keep an eye on it.  

carnivore

acornio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:54 am
<3 thanks, i should really be more active, but i'm in soo many dang guilds, *must cut back* i ended up doing it in hot water in the washing machine.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:36 pm
never felted. but i know that it was invented by monks.  

PashminaBallerina

Tipsy Prophet

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:05 pm
Is it pure wool yarn, or is it a blend? I'd imagine a blend might take more work to get it to felt, although I've never made a felted project myself.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:23 pm
yeah, i use noro kureyon  

fashionista468

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:08 am
Ok... here's what I can tell, hope some of this helps:
(I feel like a dictionary now >.<)

Felting

Trivia for the day: if your knitting, crocheting or working with a fabric that had been woven in any way the process is technically called fulling. Felting is actually making clumps of loose fibers stick together (like sheets of felt you used as a kid)

~*~

Either way, it is the same process. Felting needs 2 things to work:

1. heat
2. agitation

The agitation causes the little fiber pieces that make up the yarn to "fuzz out" and then wrap around one another and stick together. That is why needle felting (Taking a clump of loose wool and poking it lots and lots of times with a rough needle until it forms a stiff ball) works. On a side note, if you like textile crafts, needle felting is inexpensive and very fun.

The heat causes the fibers to pull more closely together. So with both you get a matted, shrinking, sturdy fabric.

Also: sheep don't felt in the rain because it isn't water that makes the felting, it's the heat and agitation. I suppose if you shook a sheep while it was raining boiling water, then they would felt... and everyone involved would probably be unhappy.

~*~

Ok, then how do you get it to work?

the answer is there are several ways.

The more delicate the project, the more time it will take to felt because you'll want to be careful.

Delicates are best done by filling a bucket (or bathtub) of hot water, putting the object in and getting a stick or wooden spoon, and churning the knitwear and water as if you were beating eggs or churning butter. That way you can take the object out every few minutes and check, stopping when it's felted enough.

For less delicate things (probably slippers) your wasing machine should work fine. Make sure it's on hot, and that you're on a spin cycle - something that will get lots of movement (again if its delicate you can do less spin for slower felting)

Now, if it really need to be taught a lesson, you can throw the object to be felted into the dryer after it has been washed. The dryer also felts beautifully, but you'll want to stop and check it every few minutes because it also felts very quickly, and over felted projects make knitters unhappy.

~*~

What felts? animal fibers, specifically ones that are sheared.

Wool works the best in my experience, but alpaca, quivut, cashmere and blends of any of these felt very well.

What doesn't felt?
Animal fibers: silk
Vegetable fibers: cotton, linen, bamboo, soysilk, cornsilk ect.
ManMade Fibers: acrylic, nylon
(Manmade fibers will not felt, but they may melt! caerful with deilcate ribbon yarns!)

Also things with 50% wool or higher mixed with a non-felting fiber will felt, through not as tightly as pure wool or wool mixed with other felting fibers.

In my experience unplyed yarn (yarn with only one strand) felts slightly better than plyed (Yarn with 2,4,6 or what have you little strands spun together. Red Heart Super Save is 4 ply yarn if you want to check)

Unplyed favorites for felting: Noro Kureyon, Brown sheep Lamb's Pride and Lamb's Pride Bulky, Renyolds Lite Lopi

~*~*~

Hope this helps someone!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:46 pm
PashminaBallerina
never felted. but i know that it was invented by monks.

Actually, felting is one of the first fabrics ever created; back in the stone age folks would beat the wet fibers together with some soap to make felt sheets. I think the frozen guy they found (he's got a name, what was the name? Earlier than Gunnister Man, the one with the blue tattoos - anyone remember that name?) had felted footwear.  

Zahra Ovaci

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:26 pm
YourAzureGoddess

Also: sheep don't felt in the rain because it isn't water that makes the felting, it's the heat and agitation. I suppose if you shook a sheep while it was raining boiling water, then they would felt... and everyone involved would probably be unhappy.

I found that really funny. whee

*makes a note to check back here when she gets around to doing a felt project*  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:42 pm
I did a felt project with Caron's Felt It yarn. I wasn't particularly impressed with it as it didn't felt well. I'm planning on making the felted ballet slippers by Fiber Trends really soon with a higher quality wool. It might be just because it's a mass produced/commerical yarn that it's kinda.... crappy-ish. sweatdrop  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:59 am
Sheep also don't felt in the rain because the wool is coated with yolk, a grease mix that lanolin comes from. Think of your hair, if you didn't shower for a month, all oily and gross - I bet it wouldn't dred that well either, until you washed it all out!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:18 pm

well on "a" calender for S'nB ( which was really helpful ) it said that you can take it into a bucket and in a tub or soemthing... sounds more of a hassle, try the washing machine methos just check on it once and ahilw bc it might shrinktoo much or not enough just chekc on it. and if you are making pockets you can add some waterresitant board betw or osmethign and then cut a whole to open the space created afterwords, like milk jug plastic thing( really usful too in many things holds shape and water resiant and cheap XD , but other stuff works too. sorry i jappered on and on and on lol

Kanhoro

Worst_Witch

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:50 pm
You might want to throw your project in a laundry bag or tie it up in some panty hose before putting it in the washer. Otherwise the yarn bits could put a hurt on your machine.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff