Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:19 pm
So whatcha want to know? Need me to point you in the direction of a tutorial for a certain cast on? Want to know how hard cables are? Want to know where certain fibers come from? Need a yarn, book, or pattern recommendation? Have any question at all about knitting or crochet? You've come to the right spot! I'm here at your disposal.

Any questions? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:10 pm
Ooh, I have a question. I'm totally stumped by the magic loop technique. Do you know of any good tutorials?  

midara the happy banshee

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:39 pm
midara the happy banshee
Ooh, I have a question. I'm totally stumped by the magic loop technique. Do you know of any good tutorials?

Sure! I like this one http://www.purlwise.com/2003/12/the_handy_magic.html for the explaination. But if you're more of a visual learner try here http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ for an excellent video. Magic loop is a super awesome thing to learn. *grin* Let me know if those links help you or not!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:25 pm
Catcheen
midara the happy banshee

Sure! I like this one http://www.purlwise.com/2003/12/the_handy_magic.html for the explaination. But if you're more of a visual learner try here http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ for an excellent video. Magic loop is a super awesome thing to learn. *grin* Let me know if those links help you or not!

Thanks so much! The second link was just amazing. I can do magic loop now! whee  

midara the happy banshee

enlith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:05 am
My question: I learned to knit fairly recently, but I have been knitting and purling pretty well (as long as we're not worrying about even tension). I knit basically continental. I've often noticed that the end stitches are loose and look funny, so I try to hold it tighter. That works okay for the knit stitch, but when I'm starting a purl row, I have to hold it looser or I loose the new loop before I get it onto the right needle. Are there any tips or tricks that can help with the edge looseness and the resulting loops? Or do I have to hide it in the finishing?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:35 pm
enlith
My question: I learned to knit fairly recently, but I have been knitting and purling pretty well (as long as we're not worrying about even tension). I knit basically continental. I've often noticed that the end stitches are loose and look funny, so I try to hold it tighter. That works okay for the knit stitch, but when I'm starting a purl row, I have to hold it looser or I loose the new loop before I get it onto the right needle. Are there any tips or tricks that can help with the edge looseness and the resulting loops? Or do I have to hide it in the finishing?

Edges are never pretty. After knitting for a few years, my edges look even, but still not pretty. It's still pretty loose looking over there. If the edge is going to be hidden in a seam, I wouldn't worry too much about what it looks like, but it's it's on a scarf or something, my best recomendation is to always slip the first stitch of every row. It tends to tighten up the loose, loopy edges and look a little nicer.  

Catcheen
Crew

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:58 pm
I like to make plushies with knitting, but I have trouble with joining pieces of knitting. The seams look bumpy and buldgey and genreally ugly. Is there a way to prevent that? I read somewhere that you can crochet pieces of knitting together... is that really possible? And if so, how? o.o;  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:58 pm
yay I finally made it here to sticky this thing.
*one of the reasons I didn't want to make the thread myself was that I had no time for i.

goodluck with the thread  

I be me
Vice Captain

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:29 pm
ScribblerChrislea
I like to make plushies with knitting, but I have trouble with joining pieces of knitting. The seams look bumpy and buldgey and genreally ugly. Is there a way to prevent that? I read somewhere that you can crochet pieces of knitting together... is that really possible? And if so, how? o.o;

There's a brilliant book out there called The Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman that I would totally invest in if I were you. It's got a bunch of wonderful ways to seam among a billion other things. Seaming is tricky. It really depends on what way the stitches are facing as to how nice the seams will look. Knitty has a super artical with lots of nice pictures. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html Seaming the "proper" way gives you better looking edges than seaming with a good ol whipstitch. (*cough* which I did for YEARS before learning a prettier way to do it)

And crocheting edges together is really great, but not stretchy at all. I'd do that if I wanted a visible 3D seam on the right side. To do that you hold both pieces of knit fabric together and just single crochet through both pieces.

That help at all?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:32 pm
I be me
yay I finally made it here to sticky this thing.
*one of the reasons I didn't want to make the thread myself was that I had no time for i.

goodluck with the thread

Thanks so much!  

Catcheen
Crew

Umberella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:10 pm
This is a great thread. All I have to do now is think of a question...

I've been knitting for at least a year or two, but I still just make square things. Are there any really cool patterns online or in books that are easy AND that can get me out of this knitting rut?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:00 pm
Umberella
This is a great thread. All I have to do now is think of a question...

I've been knitting for at least a year or two, but I still just make square things. Are there any really cool patterns online or in books that are easy AND that can get me out of this knitting rut?

Hmm... I guess it depends on what you consider "easy." You can knit and purl, I'm assuming. Would you like to venture into circular knitting? This pattern http://www.chicknits.com/chichatpattern.shtml is super fast and easy for a first hat and to get you accustomed to knitting on circulars and DPNs (double pointed needles) If you want to stay knitting flat, but would like to challenge yourself by learning cables or lace, I'd suggest a scarf or shawl. If you've never done cables, it's so intuitive, you'll wonder why you were ever hesitant to try. Lace knitting is a little more intricate, but very rewarding. Want to try a sweater with nothing fancey? It'll teach you shaping and garment construction. Your guides to a million free patterns to surf through are www.knitty.com and www.magknits.com They're your new best friends. If you're looking for something more particular, let me know, I'm sure I've got a link somewhere. I've got links to tons of cute, free patterns of every sort.  

Catcheen
Crew

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Ohh, I see about the crochet! That might make an interesting decoration for some things. ^^ I'll pour through the article, too! Thank you! ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:58 pm
Thanks a bunch! I think I was just scared to try anything, but I am now thinking this might get my brains working again. Goody!  

Umberella

Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces