Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
Americanization. Warning. Post if u want, no 1 is forcing u Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Americanization is...
  an overflowing Coke that we will drown in.
  not as bad as we make it out to be.
  the hypocracy of the USA.
  non-existent.
  I came to get the gold. oh there it is!
View Results

kruegs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:16 pm
I have noticed a degree of hostile feelings toward Americanization. Both in Canada and abroad. Don't worry, I am on board with this view. Here in Canada it is quite invasive.
We actually have laws to prevent it. For an example- T.V. programming is required to have a minimum amount of Canadian content. That is why some animes over here have been dubbed into English twice, so that a Canadian version can be shown on Canadian T.V. channels.
We tend to feel a little bit bullied here. Americans threaten us with financial clout. The weird thing is, that technically America is broke. The war on terror has led to them borrowing billions upon billions from banks. It may not seem like it now but their younger generation will have to pay for it with interest. So the question is why do we let them boss us around?("us" meaning a good chunk of the world.) What if the rest of the world woke up and realized how overvalued the American dollar is? I am sure if everyone pooled together the Americans would finally concede. What do you think?
User Image
As for the Warning in the thread subject. It is meant to deter a person from saying something like this- Oh geez the Amercanization issue has come to our guild. Is no place safe in Gaia? stare Yeah that is annoying, since I am not forcing you to post. I just want an honest opinion about my subject. And I hope you read the entire first post before going off on a tangent.^_^ I have been hated for my opinion in RL. Strangely enough by an American. ninja
Oh! And I love you Australians! heart heart  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:45 pm
uumm im australian therefore i dont care  

nrasjaa

Phantom-Deks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:38 pm
...mmmyyyeeesss...  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:13 am
Americanization is an Americanisation, because of the use of the 'z' instead of the 's'. I find that amusing.

Recently though, I don't mind some of the US spelling, in which it drops the letter 'u' because really, it's just more efficient in the end.

Otherwise, there's another thread somewhere about Americanisation, and I crapped on there, so I can't be very arsed here either.

They're the world power, because after WWII, they were the only real super-power left. Russia was a good contendor, but the US was always the super-power between the two.  

WellzY
Crew

scruffy012

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:55 pm
yeah i was jst think tat there was a thread somewhere around here on this very topic...but meh wellzy beat me....... if ya want ya debating jollies go and revive that one......  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:57 pm
and i jsut noticed that you were the last one to post in teh original thread?????????????????  

scruffy012

kruegs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:17 pm
Please address the specifics of my original post. I would really love that. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:19 pm
Has Australia had to take any measures to keep American interests from overtaking part of your culture. Referring to how we have the Canadian content rule over here.User Image  

kruegs

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:26 pm
kruegs
Has Australia had to take any measures to keep American interests from overtaking part of your culture. Referring to how we have the Canadian content rule over here.User Image

Yes, I was thinking about that last night.

We do have a minimum level of Australian content that each station has to produce. Channel 7 and 10 get it easy, because they each have daily soaps to meet their criterea. The standard is rather low though I think, and most prime-time slots are filled by US or British content, but mostly US.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:49 am
WellzY
kruegs

Yes, I was thinking about that last night.

We do have a minimum level of Australian content that each station has to produce. Channel 7 and 10 get it easy, because they each have daily soaps to meet their criterea. The standard is rather low though I think, and most prime-time slots are filled by US or British content, but mostly US.

3nodding *nods thoughtfully* I see.  

kruegs

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:49 am
I'd rather british than american. stare

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:16 pm
bohemian_wild_child
I'd rather british than american. stare

So would I. Well, most of it anyway.

And OMG, the BBC make so many shows its not funny. They must get a lot of funding, unlike our ABC.  

WellzY
Crew

Voxio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:36 am
I guess I should apologize to the entire world for being an American so...I'm sorry redface .

Now, with that aside, I have no idea how the United States stays afloat anymore. For a nation so founded on equality and such, well...we screwed that up a long time ago.

And on the money issue: forget the billions we borrowed for the "War on Terror". We were already swimming in debt. If you run the numbers, the United States owess more than 300 TRILLION USD to the rest of the world. No wonder we wanted Germany to pay us back after that whole WWII skirmish, lol.

So yeah, I'd like to apologize for Americanisation on behalf of...myself. The rest of the United States should apologize for itself. Besides, it's not my fault. I don't make television programs. In fact, I don't watch TV more than 2 or 3 hours a week. I like music. So I guess if there's an Americanisation effect going on in the music industry, I'll apologize for that, too, because that one is my fault, lol.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:48 am
Yes, Americanisation infiltrates most facest of popular culture, including most music genres.  

WellzY
Crew

The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas