Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Handspun Yarn... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you tried this?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Miyaka-san

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:23 pm
Has anyone tried this before? I was thinking about trying it and I was wondering if it was hard to do.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:07 pm
Miyaka-san
Has anyone tried this before? I was thinking about trying it and I was wondering if it was hard to do.
~
Are you planning to use a drop spindle? I had tried once, I carded the wool and such myself beforehand and whotnot. It wasn't hard but it wasn't easy either, the concept is really simple however getting an even yarn is a huge pain in the posterior. It would take practice, it's definately a skill you'd have to pick up.
~

Tes

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:15 am
I've never done it; I wouldn't use wool though, because I'm alergic to it. I think it would be fun to make my own yarn. It would give me something to do when my wrists bother me from too much crocheting and knitting. stare  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm
I've only tried the drop spindle method and frankly, I stink at it. It takes practice to get the hang of it and I just didn't have the patience at that time. I am planning on picking it back up again and finally conquering it! We'll see how that goes. *grin*  

Catcheen
Crew

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:26 pm
I would absolutely love to try making my own yarn, but I get the feeling that I'd need someone to show me one on one. I don't quite get it from reading it off a page. sad  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:39 pm
I am really, really interesting in learning when I have the time, money, and resources to do so. Which will probably be sometime around when I get to opening up that yarn store of mine. xp

For now, I'll just keep dreaming and plugging away at a earning a degree, so I can get my diabolical plot off the ground. domokun  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

enlith

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:51 pm
Good luck! I want to learn someday!  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:01 pm
I'd like to learn, but i'm too lazy. I keep thinking about doing that over the summer, but i have to do summer school, i want to make a couple blankets, and i'd like to work... May be hard to squeeze much in there when you take into account normal 16-year-old-girl stuffs i'll be doing.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

woodydachs

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:17 am
I have done it and love it. I took a class at a yarn store and have loved it ever since. It does take practice to get an even yarn, but once you learn how, it's AWESOME!!!!  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:58 pm
if you figure out how to do that please PM me  

11amagirl

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:37 pm
I bought a drop spindle and some wool, but I'm not that good at it. I did manage to make some yarn (not a lot, but some), but it's VERY.... thick-thin-thick-thin. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:50 pm
I spin a lot, actually, on a drop spindle. It's sort of time consuming and it hurts my wrist after a while, but I've finally got the hang of spinning pretty thin and more or less even. I really want a wheel, though. Just can't afford it.  

wingedorange

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:07 pm
Who knew that less than a month after my previous post in this thread, I'd had bought a drop spindle and wool. lol

I'm in the process of learning, and I'm kind of getting the hang of it. My yarn's not that even, but I don't mind. It's my first try, so it's not going to be perfect. I can probably do a better job of making it even now, but for consistency, I think I'll keep making it kind of slubby.

But yeah, I really like spinning. :3  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:46 pm
I also got a drop spindle, but I can't seem to keep it spinning. The rare times I can keep it spinning, it makes extremely thick/thin/thick/thin yarn. The times I can't, it makes even yarn... but it drops on floor when it starts "unspinning". gonk  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

woodydachs

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:46 am
Oh, you can spin cotton too if you're allergic to wool but it's a bit harder. Actually, you can spin pretty much anything if it's the right length. One of my friends spun her cat's hair.

I suppose it is an acquired skill... but I love it and apparently have natural talent (not trying to brag).

There's always supported spindles.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces