Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Duct tape wings **IMAGE HEAVY** Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Here are my first pair of duct tape wings. I made them for my doll, but I'm going to have to make a bigger pair because these don't look right from the front. I'm thinking of making the next pair black.

I'm considering making a pair for myself but I haven't decided yet. I've put at least eight hours into these and they're not 100% complete yet.

User Image

User Image

User Image
Picture of the back with a wig that doesn't cover it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Those are awesome!  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

[Grendel]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:07 pm
heart Those are amazing. I can't imagine how long it would take to make them human sized.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:25 am
I learned that glue and duct tape are not friends. xd

I could glue some of the "feathers" on but I wasn't able to glue anything to them for him to wear. I ended up taping something to them instead. If I make a pair for me I won't worry about hiding the straps though.

The bonus to making a human size pair would be that I wouldn't be dealing with pieces of tape that are quite so tiny. For human size I'd need to take a small piece of duct tape and fold/cut it, but for a doll size I have to cut that in half first. TINY PIECES!  

onnawaffle

firrantello

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:37 am
oh wow. i'm amazed simply because half that tape would have ended up in my hair, or my hair in it...  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:31 am
OMG those are fantastic! I can't imagine the work that went into them. And just like firrantello, I'd have ended up duct taping my hair somehow.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:20 pm
Now, those are awesome!! I can't imagine doing those myself. The tiny little folds and cuts would've driven me nuts. You did a great job on them! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:43 pm
I'm not really a doll person myself, but a friend of mine really wants to get one like that, and I'm wanting to look into making cosplay marionettes, and I just think those are fantastic!
I would love to use your idea on somthing some day. 3nodding
I do a lot of stuff with tuct tape, so I know just how hard it can be to work with... really quite fantastic! 3nodding  

Lee Kushrenada

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:30 am
Oh trust me there is tons of cat hair in those wings but you can't see it since it's on the sticky side. xd None of my hair, but I kept it pulled back.

And Lee, I got the idea off Craftster actually, I just scaled it down for my doll and modified it a little. Instead of duct tape straps I was able to use clear elastic for instance since it was doll sized. If I were to make them for me I'd end up using duct tape straps though.  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:32 am
The wings are very cute, and your El is lovely.  

Rorek

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:18 am
Thank you Rorek! heart

So far the black wings aren't turning to so good. I made them bigger and turned them outward so you can see them better from the front, but I'm having problems with the black duct tape.

1. It's so dark that the detail doesn't pop nearly as much as it does with the silver. I hate knowing I've put so much work into something and it isn't even all that noticeable.

2. The edges are white so I have to color the edge of every feather with a sharpie.

I've only finished one side of one wing but I'm not sure I'm even going to bother finishing that set. This weekend I'm going to try to get some of the metallic stuff and see if that works.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:14 pm
I look forward to seeing them. <3 Are you a member of the BJD and Dollfie guild yet?  

Rorek

enlith

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:20 pm
those are great! I'm impressed!  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:16 pm
Rorek
I look forward to seeing them. <3 Are you a member of the BJD and Dollfie guild yet?

I'm a member of one. I think there's two but I'm not in both.

And I started the silver wings!

User Image

User Image  

onnawaffle

Rorek

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:41 pm
Are they holographic or just UBER sparkly?  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff