Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Your, Yours, You're Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which implies ownership?
  Yours
  Youse
  You're
View Results

Aramethea

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:46 pm
Not to get off on a rant here, but this drives me spare.

The improper usage of your and you're.

My local paper, a rag not worth the paper it's printed on, repeatedly gets this wrong. I don't know what is up with the editing staff there, but my goodness, they're awful. Recently, they ran an ad that said this :

If your going on a trip, and you need planning help, call Shane at Liberty Travel. He can help with all you're vacation planning needs.

How can the editor not catch this? It's very simple. "Your" implies ownership. "That bag is yours." - ie it belongs to you. "You're getting on my nerves with your improper use of English." - ie it is something you are doing. Am I the only one with this problem?  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:03 pm
Nope. Annoys the hell out of me too. I don't think I've ever read anything printed like that though...
It's quite simple. You're is a contraction of you are, hence the apostrophe. The other's ownership. Now who can't understand that?

Same with their, they're and there. That doesn't happen so often though.

But its/it's is the most common mistake...*Shudder.* Again, fairly simple, but no one ever explains! I had to look this up myself about six months ago (when I became pedantic). I just couldn't grasp it because no one had ever told me straight. And there's also the fact that most posessives need an apostrophe...But now I'll never get them mixed up unless it's a typo.

Have a look in the Did ewe no that homophones are a pane in the but? thread.

Ithaya

beliael

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:42 pm
It drives me nuts too. Especially when people use the wrong word for insults, e.g. "your gay". My gay what? stare  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:10 pm
I HATE when people make that mistake,. I knew this one guy who would always say 'thier' (Not a you one but still in the same boat). I would always tell him that one he was SPELLING it wrong and two he was USING it wrong. Needless to say for a verrry long time he thought of me as a nag, with me always correcting him. Finally he figured it out that yes everyone else was spelling 'their' and secondly that there was such thing as 'there' and 'they're.'

But what bothered me for the longest time was that since he was a few years older many of my other friends started to pick up his 'thier' habit gonk  

D e a t h i e

Kohy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:20 pm
It annoys me also, and sometimes I try and tell the person doing this that they've used it in the wrong context. Sometimes it works, other times, it doesn't.

But the main thing that annoys me is the usage of 'than' and 'then'. I can't seem to understand this one as they are not only spelt differently, but sound different also. How can you mistake the two?  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:15 pm
Please, don't get me going on school newspapers...  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:06 pm
Kohy
It annoys me also, and sometimes I try and tell the person doing this that they've used it in the wrong context. Sometimes it works, other times, it doesn't.

But the main thing that annoys me is the usage of 'than' and 'then'. I can't seem to understand this one as they are not only spelt differently, but sound different also. How can you mistake the two?

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone mix up 'then' and 'than'. But wouldn't it be a typo? Or are people doing this repeatedly? Or worse...in handwriting?  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:58 pm
Ikonik Angel
Kohy

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone mix up 'then' and 'than'. But wouldn't it be a typo? Or are people doing this repeatedly? Or worse...in handwriting?

Repeatedly and in handwriting...You can tell when someone has just made a slight error, because the other times they've corrected it, but I've read fanfics where someone repeatedly uses 'then' for 'than'.  

Kohy

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:18 pm
Kohy
Ikonik Angel
Kohy

Repeatedly and in handwriting...You can tell when someone has just made a slight error, because the other times they've corrected it, but I've read fanfics where someone repeatedly uses 'then' for 'than'.
That's pretty bad. I can't see how one could mistake the two, unless the typer/writer is still learning to read and spell, which I highly doubt if they are writing a fanfic.  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 am
I've read some fanfics that were so poorly written, I had to stop before I went insane.

I've seen "you're" and "your" get swapped so many times, it's not even funny.

Well this is why I made that other thread anyway. If anyone knows any homophones that I haven't listed, feel free to add them to the list.

flea - Aw, looks like Rover has fleas again.
flee - Let's flee from that hungry T. rex!

lamb - Aw, look at the cute little lamb. I'm hungry for lambchops.
lam - I went on the lam so I wouldn't have to go to jail.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

GiftNinja xD

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:54 am
beliael
It drives me nuts too. Especially when people use the wrong word for insults, e.g. "your gay". My gay what? stare

Yeah, that really pisses me off to. If they are not going to even spell it right you've already won the battle. It's pointless. stressed  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:07 pm
Aramethea
Not to get off on a rant here, but this drives me spare.

The improper usage of your and you're.

My local paper, a rag not worth the paper it's printed on, repeatedly gets this wrong. I don't know what is up with the editing staff there, but my goodness, they're awful. Recently, they ran an ad that said this :

If your going on a trip, and you need planning help, call Shane at Liberty Travel. He can help with all you're vacation planning needs.

How can the editor not catch this? It's very simple. "Your" implies ownership. "That bag is yours." - ie it belongs to you. "You're getting on my nerves with your improper use of English." - ie it is something you are doing. Am I the only one with this problem?

I think the problem lies in the PART of the paper. I assume (or at least HOPE) that an editor would go over a news story, but the ads are being put in straight from the customer's scribbles by some minimum wage data entry kid. Pathetic. I see it all the time in ads, though. The world is full of idiots.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:39 pm
kipluck quoth:

Quote:
The world is full of idiots.

Yes, and unfortunately they seem to be in power (look at the White House).  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:42 pm
yes, bunchs of stupid people... stressed  

Litia_Echo

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:55 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I've read some fanfics that were so poorly written, I had to stop before I went insane.

I've seen "you're" and "your" get swapped so many times, it's not even funny.

Well this is why I made that other thread anyway. If anyone knows any homophones that I haven't listed, feel free to add them to the list.

flea - Aw, looks like Rover has fleas again.
flee - Let's flee from that hungry T. rex!

lamb - Aw, look at the cute little lamb. I'm hungry for lambchops.
lam - I went on the lam so I wouldn't have to go to jail.
i usually have to print out, edit, and retype fanfics before i can read them. after that, they're quite easy to read. the problem i come across most is a mixup of tenses-people tend to begin in either past or present, and repeatedly switch between the two at random, so i have to entirely rewrite sentences, which usually takes a couple minutes pondering what the author was trying to say.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff