Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Buttons! :3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rorek

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:20 pm
So I did my first buttonholes.. by hand of course, because they were for dolly shorts. I think I'm gonna stick with snaps in the future unless that will make things bulky. Any thoughts/opinions on easier ways to connect the sides? I hate elastic and snaps on the front or back tend to make doll clothes in this scale UBER bulky. I've done eyelets up the side once, but that was hell on my fingers as well, so that's not something I want to do much either.

Anyway, on to the pictures. :3 I really love the look of the shorts.

User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:08 am
Those are really cool. I like to make doll cloths, but I'm not very good at sewing, especialy by hand.

One thing you might try is using small craft snaps--the little black or silver ones that are only about 1/8 inch in diameter. They'll be a lot less bulky than the actual snaps you use on jeans. I would suggest something like velcro, but that would be awfuly bulky, too. Perhaps draw strings?  

LadyAnubis

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:44 pm
........I think that shirt is made out of the same fabric as one of my childhood favorit bears.........that's really creepy. o.O'''  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:00 pm
LadyAnubis
Those are really cool. I like to make doll cloths, but I'm not very good at sewing, especialy by hand.

One thing you might try is using small craft snaps--the little black or silver ones that are only about 1/8 inch in diameter. They'll be a lot less bulky than the actual snaps you use on jeans. I would suggest something like velcro, but that would be awfuly bulky, too. Perhaps draw strings?
Thank you. :3

I do have those snaps but for this scale, they tend to be a tad bulky when used in some detail bits, like the leg straps here. I actually used snaps on the shirt, underneath those teeny blue buttons. :3

Rorek

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:02 pm
Perhaps hooks and eyes? A good craft or fabric store will sell them in different sizes. They can be sewn on so that they're completely hidden and then you can add something decorative to the outside of the item.  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:55 pm
Foorest seems to have a good idea.

No advice of my own, but I want those shorts in people size (specifically Thurston sized sad )  

[Grendel]

Rorek

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:29 am
ForestGreen
Perhaps hooks and eyes? A good craft or fabric store will sell them in different sizes. They can be sewn on so that they're completely hidden and then you can add something decorative to the outside of the item.
Ooooh I may try that. I'll have to pic some up this weekend.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:04 pm
Rorek
Ooooh I may try that. I'll have to pic some up this weekend.

Let us know how it goes.
I've wanted one of those dolls for years, but can't justify spending so much money on one.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

jbeth

Thirteenth Streaker

16,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:06 pm
a couple of my friends have dolls like that. I think they're up to two each. x_x they kind of creep me out. >.>

I really like the whole outfit you made for the doll. it's very cute. I know nada about sewing, but the hooks and eyes sound like a very good idea.  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:49 am
jbeth
a couple of my friends have dolls like that. I think they're up to two each. x_x they kind of creep me out. >.>

I really like the whole outfit you made for the doll. it's very cute. I know nada about sewing, but the hooks and eyes sound like a very good idea.
They do take some getting used to. I have two now. :3

Thanks! Yeah I plan to go pick up some more snaps and buttons and hooks and stuff this weekend, probably on Sunday.

Rorek

11amagirl

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:18 pm
Lee Kushrenada
........I think that shirt is made out of the same fabric as one of my childhood favorit bears.........that's really creepy. o.O'''

same here...  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:00 pm
11amagirl
Lee Kushrenada

same here...

did it have white fer, tith a clown like soot made out of that fabric, with a little bell on the inside? o.O  

Lee Kushrenada

The Cigarette Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:38 am
I like the short.
They're really cool.
I want a dollfie too.
They're really cute.
I'd love making clothes for it.
:')

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff