Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~
I sort of hate the way kenshin's japaneese voice over sounds Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

2+2=
  your dad
  spaghetti
  boobs
  kenshin!!!!!
View Results

NkGuy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:02 pm
Am I the only one or is this a problem for anyone else... it may seem kinda wierd.. I just can't watch the anime subbed just because of ken-sans voice. His voice just sounds cooler in dubbed.. but then Kauro sounds like a white girl lol  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:04 am
What were they thinking having a female seiyuu do a male role? I understand that it's a common practice, but to make Kenshin sound like a girl? What the hell for? I picture Kenshin having a quiet, somewhat high pitched voice for a man, but still unmistakably male.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

ponponpon way x2

Wild Comrade

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:26 pm
I didn't quite understand that either, they gave Yuki Sohma a girl's voice in the sub, that's reasonable, but Kenshin? eek I can enjoy watching it in either dub, or sub, but I still found that kind of strange for a while. Reason, I know that the dub version is so different, but I watched the first episode in english. Dumb, I know, it's just that I was used to him sounding relatively masculine. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:08 am
I don't know. Kenshin isn't very masculine at all, so the subbed voice fit him. Not to mention that it was just so RIGHT how normally, when not in battle mode, he sounds all weak and kind of sissy-ish (no offense Ken-san, my love! sweatdrop ) But when he gets angry... his voice changes and gets really deep and sExY!! xd A male voice actor wouldn't be able to carry that off because his voice would already be deep... I mean, its such a blood chilling change of tone! Absolutely perfect for Kenshin, the peaceful Rurouni harboring the soul of a ruthless battousai!! wink

I didn't think the voice actor of the dubbed versions was able to carry that transition from lovable rurouni to blood thirsty battousai off at ALL! whee And so I definitely prefer the subbed versions more... 3nodding  

Sephiralen

Sephiralen

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:11 am
Shinobi 1977
What were they thinking having a female seiyuu do a male role? I understand that it's a common practice, but to make Kenshin sound like a girl? What the hell for? I picture Kenshin having a quiet, somewhat high pitched voice for a man, but still unmistakably male.
What are you talking about?? surprised I never expected for a MOMENT it was a girl's voice!! Me and my friends were in shock when we found out! And we couldn't stop talking about it for a week, since we were in such disbelief!! LOL! xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:35 am
He sounded like an old woman to me. I watched it in Japanese for a few minutes and was so put off by Suzukaze's voice that I switched back over to the English version.

I also think Sano's Japanese voice is way too deep for a teenager's. Lex Lang is Sanosuke to me. heart  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Enishi-san

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:08 pm
I liked it over the dubbed. -.-  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:14 pm
Shinobi 1977
He sounded like an old woman to me. I watched it in Japanese for a few minutes and was so put off by Suzukaze's voice that I switched back over to the English version.

R,really? That was your impression? Out of all I've heard so far about Kenshin's voice, that's astounding. Because to me, at oldest, he sounded middle aged.

Enishi-san

Nice and simple, huh, Enishi-san? XD That's a... Kind way of putting it, in comparison to what I've heard in the AMC. 'Zeomg, kill the dubs'. rofl  

ponponpon way x2

Wild Comrade

tsubasa11

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:44 am
I believe they chose great Japanese seiyuu cool Kenshin got a female voice because of his characteristic.. No comment on their voicing here 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:25 pm
Genbu no miko Marie
Shinobi 1977

R,really? That was your impression? Out of all I've heard so far about Kenshin's voice, that's astounding. Because to me, at oldest, he sounded middle aged.

Enishi-san

Nice and simple, huh, Enishi-san? XD That's a... Kind way of putting it, in comparison to what I've heard in the AMC. 'Zeomg, kill the dubs'. rofl

Thats how I role. wink  

Enishi-san

Akira_Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:13 pm
I loved Mayo Suzukaze as Kenshin. Originally Megumi Ogata was going to do him, you know, so there was no getting out of the female voice thing. XD

I love Suzukaze because she makes his voice so unique. There's nothing else like it out there - except for a few Yoshiko Fujita lines in Digimon... 7-7 She sounds a little bit similar.

I really really got attached to Suzukaze. I HATED the dub voices SOOOOOO much. More than usual, as a matter of fact. So I just didn't watch the dub. smile But like I said, Suzukaze's voice was special. It just... it wasn't sexy, it wasn't cutesy, it was Kenshin's own and that's all their is to it. "Neutral," as Watsuki put it. I thought it fit him perfectly. But that's just me, of course. ^^-

And for those who are interested, Sano's voice actor, Yuuji Ueda, also did the voice of Tanaka in Pretear.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
^Tanaka  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:52 pm
I have to admit that the first couple of subbed episodes sorta scared me... sweatdrop But if you keep watching later into the series the voice really develops well and you start to find a good Kenshin voice. 3nodding  

Chibibotan

Namika-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:41 am
I think his voice makes him special! 3nodding
It's soo boring with dub,since all of the males have the same voice..
Calm,cool voice,BAH! To hell with that! heart
Episode 2 scared me,though.
He did'nt even sound like a girl,he sounded like..like.. a transvestite or something. But if you watch some more epis' his voice changes.
I luvvvv Kenshin's original voice! heart heart heart
(He sounds alittle bit like Bugs bunny when he gets confused;P
Never heard his (BB) english voice,though.I'm from sweden >_<)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:27 pm
I dont like Kenshins voice as much in japanese as I do in English... but really a mans voice will always sound better for a mans voice.

Still its not as bad as some.  

Sky~Samurai

Ling-Rei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:53 pm
Usually it's the american voice that makes the character sound too old or too masculine. Kenshin's japanese voice is great. It's a bit off sounding at the beginning, but as the series progresses, Kenshin's voice improves alot. It really matches him if you think about it.

I can't stand listening to the dub voices....if you listen to the way they talk, they sound very unnatural; their rhythm/pace sounds off. The reason for this is because they try desparately hard to make the speech match the lip movements of the characters. So they end up sounding very "rehearsed" and forced; not at all like natural speech. (With the Japanese, they don't care about matching the lip movements as much, just as long as it sounds natural)  
~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff