Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Chaos Magic (was Necronimicron) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MOD66

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:29 pm
I'm intrested in Necronomicon because I saw a symbol erlating to it and read what Nihilistic posted about it. But I can't do any research on it from online (parental blocks) and my library is one hour away, and I'm busy most of this weekend. So what do any of you know about it?

I can't use Wikipedia or the other answer site because even that is blocked under Occult/New-age.  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:46 pm
It's a fictional book written by HP Lovecraft to collaborate with his Cthulhu mythos

Wait a sec, blocks on Paganism/New-Age? Blocks on the occult? Did your parents specifically put on those blocks, or are they built into the origianl block?  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

MOD66

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:31 am
Nihilistic Seraph
It's a fictional book written by HP Lovecraft to collaborate with his Cthulhu mythos

Wait a sec, blocks on Paganism/New-Age? Blocks on the occult? Did your parents specifically put on those blocks, or are they built into the origianl block?
built in i can get around the ones they put in but they chose to block it with Nortan so im going to get my hacker friend over to tell me how to get around it  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:11 am
But does the company itself block New-Age/Occult as a bad subject, or did your parents? If it' the former, that's pure discrimination, and I'd end up sending them a bunch of e-mail asking for explanation.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

LunaInverse

Cheery Sweetheart

17,000 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:44 pm
You could go to a public library and use their computers...or to a friend's house.  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:11 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
But does the company itself block New-Age/Occult as a bad subject, or did your parents? If it' the former, that's pure discrimination, and I'd end up sending them a bunch of e-mail asking for explanation.
it is an option on the choices of matriail to block. so it is my parents who chose to block New-Age/Occult.

LunaInberse
You could go to a public library and use their computers...or to a friend's house.
i said a library is about an hour away and my friends dont know that i am a pagan and make jokes about me being a witch becase i look gothic  

MOD66

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:03 am
Twack
Nihilistic Seraph
it is an option on the choices of matriail to block. so it is my parents who chose to block New-Age/Occult.
Is there an option to block other religions, such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and other such things?  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:05 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

MOD66

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:01 am
wow thats alot of info im in the middle of something ATM but when i get a chance i will read it  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:28 pm
ah ok that wasn't realy looking for if any one knows some hting of caous magick could you tell me about it  

MOD66

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:20 pm
Chaos magic? Pretty much goes on the line of "nothing is real, thus everything is possible"

It holds that Reality is really a product of the individual mind, and thus if you can change your own mind-set (their buzz-word is paradigm shift), you can change the world about you.  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:29 pm
Twack
ah ok that wasn't realy looking for if any one knows some hting of caous magick could you tell me about it
Chaos Magick references:

Try Phil Hine's Condensed Chaos (ISBN: 156184117X) as a starter book. Another two books I haven't yet read are Peter Carroll's Liber Null and Psychonaut. I'm hoping to get to those (which I have in a single volume together) sometime soon. But I VERY much enjoyed Condensed Chaos. It's my cup of tea (not most people's) as magick goes. Very helpful book.

jessicamundi

Time-traveling Shapeshifter

20,800 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

jessicamundi

Time-traveling Shapeshifter

20,800 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:37 pm
Chaos magic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chaos Magic is a relatively new form of ritual and empty-handed magic, utilizing paradigm shifting and inhibitory or excitatory states of consciousness, called "gnosis," including, but not limited to, meditation, chanting, spinning, dancing, drug use, pain or orgasm. Practitioners hold that they can shape reality using this form of magic.

Contents

* 1 Pre-History
* 2 History
* 3 Magical paradigm shifting
* 4 The Gnostic state
* 5 Chaos magicians
* 6 Symbols and deities
* 7 In pop culture
* 8 See also
* 9 References
* 10 External links

Pre-History

Austin Osman Spare was initially involved with the Golden Dawn tradition, and its offshoots such as the O.T.O and Aleister Crowley's Argenteum Astrum but later broke with them to work independently. He would develop theory and practices which would, after his death, profoundly influence the Illuminates of Thanateros. Specifically, Spare developed the use of sigils, and techniques involving states of ecstasy (see gnosis below) to empower these. Spare also pioneered the development of a personal sacred alphabet, and was a talented artist who used images as part of his magical technique. Most of the recent work on sigils recapitulate's Spares work; the construction of a phrase detailing the magical intent, the elimination of duplicate letters, and the artistic recombination of the remaining letters to form the sigil. Though he did not originate the term and might not have sympathized with it, some may regard Spare as the original chaos magician.

Following the death of Aleister Crowley (and the then-obscure Spare), magick as practiced by the still somewhat sparse occult subculture in Britain tended to become more experimentalist, personal and a lot less bound to the magical traditions of established magical orders. Reasons for this might include the public availability of previously secret information on magick (especially in the published works of Crowley and Israel Regardie), the radically unorthodox magick of Austin Osman Spare's Zos Kia Cultus, the influence of Discordianism and its popularizer Robert Anton Wilson, and the increasing popularity of magick caused by the success of the Wiccan faith and the use of psychedelic drugs.

History

The term chaos magick first appeared in print in the widely influential Liber Null by Peter Carroll, first published in 1978. In it, Carroll formulated several concepts on magick that were radically different from what was considered magical mysteries in the days of Crowley. This book, along with Psychonaut (1981) by the same author, remain important sourcebooks. Magicians who align themselves with these ideas call themselves Chaotes, Chaoists or sometimes Chaosites.

Carroll also co-founded with Ray Sherwin the Magical Pact of the Illuminates of Thanateros, or in short form Illuminates of Thanateros (IOT); an organization that continues research and development of chaos magick to the present day. Most authors and otherwise well-known practitioners of chaos magic mention affiliation with it. However, chaos magick in general is, unsurprisingly, among the least organized branches of magick.

Magical paradigm shifting

Perhaps the most striking feature of chaos magic is the concept of the magical paradigm shift. Borrowing a term from philosopher Thomas Kuhn, Carroll made the technique of arbitrarily changing one's model (or paradigm) of magic a major concept of chaos magic. An example of a magical paradigm shift is doing a Lovecraftian rite, followed by using a technique from an Edred Thorsson book in the following ritual. These two magical paradigms are very different, but while the chaote is using one, he believes in it fully to the extent of ignoring all other (often contradictory) ones. The shifting of magical paradigms has since found its way into the magical work of practitioners of many other magical traditions, but chaos magic remains the field where it is most developed.

The main tenet of Chaos magic is that "Nothing is True and Everything is Permitted," a quote attributed to Hassan I Sabbah and used by Friedrich Nietzsche in his work Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Like Crowley's "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law," this phrase is often mistakenly interpreted in its most literal sense to mean "there is no such thing as Truth, so you can do whatever you want." However, "Nothing is True and Everything is Permitted" is more widely interpreted to mean "there is no such thing as an objective truth outside of our perception; therefore, all things are true and possible."

The idea is that belief is a tool that can be applied at will rather than unconsciously. Some chaos magicians think that trying unusual, and often bizarre beliefs is in itself an experience worth having and consider flexibility of belief a form of power or freedom in a cybernetic sense of the word.

The Gnostic state

A concept introduced by Carroll is the gnostic state, also referred to as gnosis. This is defined as a special state of consciousness that in his magic theory is what is necessary for working most forms of magick. This is a departure from older concepts which described energies, spirits or symbolic acts as the source of magical powers. The concept has an ancestor in the Buddhist concept of Samadhi, made popular in western occultism by Aleister Crowley and further explored by Austin Osman Spare.

The gnostic state is achieved when a person's mind is focused on only one point, thought, or goal and all other thoughts are thrust out. Users of chaos magick each develop their own ways of reaching this state. All such methods hinge on the belief that a simple thought or direction experienced during the gnostic state and then forgotten quickly afterwards is sent to the subconscious, rather than the conscious mind, where it can be enacted through means unknown to the conscious mind.

Chaos magicians

Practitioners of chaos magick attempt to be outside of all categories - for them, worldviews, theories, beliefs, opinions, habits and even personalities are tools that may be chosen arbitrarily in order to understand or manipulate the world they see and create around themselves. Chaos magicians are frequently described as funny, extreme or very individualistic people. They also may consider themselves exceptionally tolerant, remarking that whatever one might disagree over is merely an opinion, and hence interchangeable, anyway.

For a list of notable chaos magic practitioners, see Category:Chaos_magicians.

While chaos magick has lost some of the popularity it had in the UK during the 1980s, it is still active and influential. Its ideas can be found to leak into modern shamanism in particular, and are common in occult Internet forums. Proponents assert that the growing individuality of occultism in informal, often Internet-based surroundings is a direct result of the success of chaos magick, while critics argue this informal occultism often lacks a well-developed understanding of gnosis and paradigm shifting and is therefore not rightfully called chaos magick.

Symbols and deities

Chaos magick is unique among magical traditions in that it does not attribute significance to any particular symbol or deity. Wicca and Thelema, for example, could not be what they are without the Mother goddess and Horus, respectively. In contrast, chaos magicians may (or may not) pick any concept or set of concepts to worship, invoke or evoke.

Following the tenet that anything can have significance and hold magical power, chaos magick rituals have centered around symbols as diverse as the color Octarine, a single worn sock, or Harpo Marx. In some instances these uses have developed into temporary, but elaborate cults that may be seen as parodies of more fixed magical traditions, or of fixedness in general.

Traditional deities associated with chaos, such as Tiamat, Eris, Loki and Hun Tun are also popular, as are the entities described in the Necronomicon.

The eight-pointed chaos star (or chaosphere), originally taken from the fantasy novels of Michael Moorcock is frequently used by chaos magicians. However, this preference is not shared by all and may be argued to root solely in the symbol's semi-official use by the Illuminates of Thanateros. Most chaos magicians routinely create magical symbols for themselves - see Sigil.

In pop culture

Chaos magick has had name checks in such places as DC Comics, Marvel Comics (See: Scarlet Witch), and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but beyond name-dropping, their actual practices had nothing in common with Chaos magick (some of the uses predating the usage described in this article). The name "Chaos" and the chaosphere are also used to represent the ever-present evil in Games Workshop's line of miniature games Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 (which resulted somewhat ironically in some chaotes adopting terminology from those games).

Real life chaote Grant Morrison has afforded the theories of chaos magicians and their practices a more accurate portrayal in his comic book epic The Invisibles.

See also

* Magick
* List of magical terms and traditions

References

* Ethos, Austin Osman Spare, ISBN 1-872189-28-8
* The Book of Results, 1978. Ray Sherwin, ISBN 1-4116-2558-7
* Liber Null & Psychonaut, 1987. Peter Carroll, ISBN 0-877-28639-6
* Liber Kaos, 1992. Peter Carroll, ISBN 0-87728-742-2
* Prime Chaos, 1993. Phil Hine, ISBN 1-56184-137-4
* Condensed Chaos, 1995. Phil Hine, ISBN 1-56184-117-X
* Seidways, 1997. Jan Fries, ISBN 1869928-369  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:11 am
What do you need to know?
I know pretty much anythign on it, or the Cthulhic spellwork.  

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

ringwraith10

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:39 am
Is all of Wikipedia blocked for you?

Also... do your parents know you're a pagan/ have something against it? I mean, could you just ask them about the block, or would they start acting weird?  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff