Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
The Fun of Biology Class Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think about disecting animals?
Oh God, it's horrible!
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Choppy-Chop Chop!
32%
 32%  [ 12 ]
I've never been in the situation so I don't know
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Set them free!
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
. . . (still in shock of the thought about disecting pregnant cats)
35%
 35%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 37

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:38 pm

So we had to disect live frogs in biology. We had to take a long needle and stab the back of its neck to paralyze it before we pin it to the table and cut it open. We pull out the heart and toss it into a jar and try to keep it beating as long as possible. I stood behind my lab partners in near tears. It was awful!
Now the teacher is offering to have us disect pregnant cats. Now that brought me to tears. I just want to know what you all think about disecting animals for classes. I personally don't like it (obviously).
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:51 am

We don't disect animals in our biology class.

But yeah, I'm going to college for biology so image all the fun I'll have there.

Though, I'll be specializing in human biology, so maybe I get to disect humans.

If you want me to send you guys any organs, I got your back wink

xd

Quadadiddle
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:44 am

Rather inhumane. There are computer programs that can display anything just as detailed without having to destroy the frogs. I was lucky in that my bio teacher didn't believe in the disections either, so we were spared from frog bodies and cows eyes.
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:27 am

You think frogs are bad? Try rats. I didn't like disection because I'm squeasmish my nature, and the whole process really made my stomach churn. The cow eye and sheep brain I managed; the eating of raw sheep's brain by some memebers of my class was a little much, but all it really did was speak volumes for some of my classmates. We didn't have to do frogs, which I'm thankful for; I couldn't bring myself to kill an animal after cutting it open. We had to do rats. Dead, white lab rats that had been donated for the use of high school biology classes after they died. I felt badly for the animals, and I thought they deserved a little peace after having spent their lives serving science. I also happen to think rodents are cute, and this was the first animal with a face I came face to face to in a lab. My teacher said I could watch with another group if I wasn't comfortable disceting my own, so that was my plan. Until one of my classmates proceeded to stab his rat through the ear with a probe, then to break it's legs, intentionally and brutally. I left the lab in tears and a friend of mine disappeared down to the bathroom where she was sick to her stomach.

I have nothing against optional discetions in a science class, provided the animals are dead before hand. It's a little sadistic to cut out a still beating heart, even if it is in the name of "science". Computer programs can give you the visual details, but you don't get the physical sensation; I think there's a lot that can be learned if the class is conducted properly. Mine was not. The students in the class were 17 and 18 years old, for crying out loud, and knew better!

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nicky McCloud

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:59 am

We, er...didn't use live frogs. Ours had been euthanized... And our cats (some, yes, were pregnant) had been put down by animal shelters and veterinarians.

The whole...live frog thing... Ew, bad, no. That's not right. Wouldn't that be under animal cruelty?
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:51 pm

One girl in a Biology class had lost her cat two weeks before, and when it was disection day, her cat was one of the ones to be disected. Disecting live animals is disgusting. I have no problem cutting a worm open, but I hate thinking of those poor animals having their memories desecrated by stupid teenagers.

Siofra Da`Halbria

Kuroyue

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:16 pm

I did an online dissection of a frog. Mind you, it was VERY realistic--I thought it was cool, since it was online and everything. But I can't bear to kill live creatures. If it was dead beforehand, then that'd be a little better, but I don't know if I can bring myself to but open a real animal. Frogs...dunno. But cats? No way! I have one as a pet, and I can't stand it. I've never had to dissect everything live--thank god. I also think rodents are cute. Rats too. I don't wanna cut it open... crying
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:42 pm

i never had to disec any thing but thats becasue my sic teachers have all been girls so far. but i will refuse to disect thefrog and will tak an F on that assign ment to prove my point

MOD66

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:08 pm

I've only disected a worm and a frog, and both were dead, frozen, and bred to be so. I have no desire to disect anything alive; if you want to see how something works, build a freaking diarama. That's pushing the limit for me, and I hope to remember to sign something for my kids if such a disection is presented in their class.

I also do not do so well with fermaldihyde(sp?). Makes me break-out. xp
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:52 am

If they were killed humanely or died of natural causes, then it's okay in my book. I've helped disect/butcher cattle and swine on my paw-paw's farm, so I really have no problem with it.

Shadow Chyld

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:54 pm

What was also really horrible about the live frog thing is that my teacher said "do whatever you want to the bodies, as long as the heart's still beating. My partners (which I stood behind) started chopping its head off, then its legs into a bunch of little pieces.
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:12 am

Nihilistic Seraph
Rather inhumane. There are computer programs that can display anything just as detailed without having to destroy the frogs. I was lucky in that my bio teacher didn't believe in the disections either, so we were spared from frog bodies and cows eyes.
Sadly, the school systems are so sadistic that they choose to ignore the better options, saying that real disection is the only way anyone can learn.

ringwraith10

ringwraith10

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:13 am

Seira Relur
What was also really horrible about the live frog thing is that my teacher said "do whatever you want to the bodies, as long as the heart's still beating. My partners (which I stood behind) started chopping its head off, then its legs into a bunch of little pieces.
You had some nice partners. I hope they're not your friends? eek
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:19 am

Seira Relur

That's my biggest problem with disection, right there. Some teenagers (Or even adults) have no respect, and the teachers make no effort to maintain some control over their class room. They were once living creatures, for crying out loud! And the behavior displayed by some people in a biology lab would be greetedby horror, disgust, therapy and heavy doses of medication were it to be performed again outside of the lab!

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:47 am

I don't see the point. Maybe that's just me but I see no point in disecting anything for biology class exactly what is it part of?
Physiology? I can assure you that you don't need to cut into anything to learn what bits are inside the creature. perhaps it has to do with my not very hands on approch to learning, I don't need to see or touch to learn I can picture things fine on my own.

Also the inside of a frog helps you in what way?
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff