Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Disproving Existance Through Grammatical Law

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Wrench_Ninja

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:54 am
I'm bored, and I couldn't think of anything more interesting for my first post within this guild, so I figured I'd just do this. Keep in mind, that this makes more sence when processed through a mathmatical brain, then a poet's mind.

A) "Everything", is everything. This means that "Everything" includes all "Somethings".

B) Everything is "Something". If we have a noun for it, then it is "Something". So then by statement "A", all "Somethings" are what make up "Everything".

C) "Nothing" is "Something". "Nothing" is a form of a Noun, which are used to describe people, places, or things. So then by statement "A", "Nothing" is included in "Everything", because "Everything", is all "Somethings".

D) By statement "C", "Everything" includes "Nothing".

Have fun looking at the grammatical paradoxes in there. I must be off.

~Loki, TWN

P.S.- Let me know if this is in the wrong place. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:00 am
I always thought "everything" while meaning to encompass all that there is, that everything can contain anything. But the idea of "nothing" is the completely absence of "anything" AND "everything".  

beliael

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:19 pm
The_Wrench_Ninja
I'm bored, and I couldn't think of anything more interesting for my first post within this guild, so I figured I'd just do this. Keep in mind, that this makes more sence when processed through a mathmatical brain, then a poet's mind.

A) "Everything", is everything. This means that "Everything" includes all "Somethings".

B) Everything is "Something". If we have a noun for it, then it is "Something". So then by statement "A", all "Somethings" are what make up "Everything".

C) "Nothing" is "Something". "Nothing" is a form of a Noun, which are used to describe people, places, or things. So then by statement "A", "Nothing" is included in "Everything", because "Everything", is all "Somethings".

D) By statement "C", "Everything" includes "Nothing".

Have fun looking at the grammatical paradoxes in there. I must be off.

~Loki, TWN

P.S.- Let me know if this is in the wrong place. Thank you.
Oh boy...my brain hurts. But I understand it, and that is interesting. *nods head*  
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:00 am
C I have already thought up. Only I phrased it as "Nothing is something, but something isn't nothing." Most people I tell that to get confused.  

lola_siannodel

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:30 pm
My brain just crashed and needs to be rebooted.  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:19 pm
That's like the old logical argument 'Love is blind. God is love. I am blind. Therefore I am God.'  

Sola Catella

Ithaya

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:13 am
I've stated that argument before.

Counter-arguments I have recieved (mostly from myself, as I remember) include:

1) Nothing is the absence of something, and therefore not something in itself. (Untrue.)

2) Nothing is no thing, i.e. not a thing. (True, my own counter argument for many things, but also slightly flawed, as I will explain below.)

3) Nothing is incomprehensible by the human mind. (One huge paradox.)
Better put as: The human mind cannot comprehend the absence of a thing. (True.)

And, for the argument, we have:

1) Nothing is a word, therefore it is something.
...But, nothing the word describes no thing, it does not describe something, it does not describe anything. Its meaning is nothing.
...And then you go on to say:
'Nothing is a word, it means nothing, which is a word meaning nothing...', etc..

So nothing is included in everything. And therefore nothing exists.

But I will continue to use nothing in my 'begining of the world' arguments.

I.e.: These statements say the same thing:

1) There was nothing, then there was something.
2) There was always something.

The second is more correct.

And the following statement is untrue and stupid:

1) Something came from nothing.
The nothing did not create the something. The something simply was. (Eat that Dan Brown.)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:10 pm
Sadly...I understood that. however, can you reverse it?

If "Nothing" is "Everything" and therefore it is "Something", then does that mean humans are in fact, "nothing" ?

Mia Eidenschink

The_Wrench_Ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:38 pm
I must say that I'm glad to see people have taken such interest in my topic. Most people that hear this, walk away as soon as they can think again. It is truly amazing what one can do with the simplest properties of human grammatical laws.  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:08 am
The_Wrench_Ninja
I must say that I'm glad to see people have taken such interest in my topic. Most people that hear this, walk away as soon as they can think again. It is truly amazing what one can do with the simplest properties of human grammatical laws.

Ah yes, don't you just love linguistics?

I'm glad I have the internet, I must say, otherwise I'd be stuck with those kind of people for most of my life and never get a decent conversation.

Shrinking pringles...fun, fun. ^^

Ithaya

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:54 pm
Ikonik Angel
I've stated that argument before.

Counter-arguments I have recieved (mostly from myself, as I remember) include:

1) Nothing is the absence of something, and therefore not something in itself. (Untrue.)

2) Nothing is no thing, i.e. not a thing. (True, my own counter argument for many things, but also slightly flawed, as I will explain below.)

3) Nothing is incomprehensible by the human mind. (One huge paradox.)
Better put as: The human mind cannot comprehend the absence of a thing. (True.)

And, for the argument, we have:

1) Nothing is a word, therefore it is something.
...But, nothing the word describes no thing, it does not describe something, it does not describe anything. Its meaning is nothing.
...And then you go on to say:
'Nothing is a word, it means nothing, which is a word meaning nothing...', etc..

So nothing is included in everything. And therefore nothing exists.

But I will continue to use nothing in my 'begining of the world' arguments.

I.e.: These statements say the same thing:

1) There was nothing, then there was something.
2) There was always something.

The second is more correct.

And the following statement is untrue and stupid:

1) Something came from nothing.
The nothing did not create the something. The something simply was. (Eat that Dan Brown.)

My brain hurts again, but I understood this as well, and I must say that I just learned something. =3
The funny thing is that the word "nothing" is used so commonly by people (For example: "Is something wrong?" "It's nothing.") and yet most of those people don't really know exactly what that term defines. sweatdrop
And now I'm going to look up the word "paradox" since I've been hearing it much too much lately.  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:57 pm
Hey, that does make sense...But it's awfully confusing...Oh wow, I can't wait to use that on some of my friends...I wonder how many will get a headache...  

Eleusinian Mysteries

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:54 am
chrystalclear
The funny thing is that the word "nothing" is used so commonly by people (For example: "Is something wrong?" "It's nothing.") and yet most of those people don't really know exactly what that term defines. sweatdrop

It's like how when people reply "nothing" to the question "What are you doing?" - Usually resulting in being told "That's the problem."  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:05 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
chrystalclear

It's like how when people reply "nothing" to the question "What are you doing?" - Usually resulting in being told "That's the problem."

I'm guilty of using the word nothing in both those contexts regularly.

Now...another problem comes when writers start writing about things being made from nothing, and nothing-laced gunpowder and things like that, making it seem more like an acid than 'nothing'. (*Cough*GarthNix*cough*.)
Don't get me wrong though, he's one of my favourite authors. ^_~

Oh I love paradoxes...and oxymorons. Contradictions which make sense.

Ithaya

The_Wrench_Ninja

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:27 pm
...and now it's died... Didn't even make it to page two... Shame...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games