Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Plushies????

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BAH HA! MORE GOLD?
  SI!
  NO! (but I got some anyways)
  what's going on now?
View Results

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:09 pm
Ok. SO! I WILL be getting my manican by this upcoming friday so don't think I'm just posting and not working. I'm having money issues on this end! I'm doing another cosplay (I have like 20 that I need to do), and this one includes a ferret. I'm not gonna carry around an ear biting ferret who will make my costume reak. SO!!!!! I would like to make a plushie. I have no idea what to do as far as materials go or anything. I know I want it to be white and longer than one foot. If I didn't want it longer than one foot . . . I would just buy one, make it's jacket and call it good. If anyone has any plushie making experience please help me on this one. If I have to like hand draw patterns or w/e I will. I would just really like to make my plushie~~~~ Thanks everyone. As for the other threads I have made, as soon as I get my manican and the fabric, I will start to post progress pictures and you guys can comment on those. Thanks again guys. I LOVE THIS GUILD!  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:10 pm
oh yeah . . . cute ferret picture~~~

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

if you think we need more pictures for like the build of a ferret and stuff ask and I'll edit this to post more.  

sakurachan61123

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 pm
My three ferrets object to your implication that they bite ears and stink. We have one who will stick his cold, wet nose into your ear as a greeting, but the other two won't have anything to do with human ears. They all suggest that you've got them confused with Mike Tyson.
They also suggest that you've got them confused with those little teacup dogs that ride around in purses. They don't like to sit still for very long and would hate being carried around as an accessory. They applaud your decision to make a plushie instead of subjecting one of their brother or sister ferrets to that kind of torture. biggrin

I would suggest making one out of high quality fake fur. Ferrets are related to mink, and have the same soft fur if taken care of properly. Their bodies are very flexible so I wouldn't stuff the body too tightly, especially if you are planning to drape it around your neck. I don't have much plushie making experience, but if you need more advice on the build of a ferret, let me know.

Here are some pictures of our ferrets in action. Hopefully they will help with the design process. http://community.webshots.com/album/501963225oiMkTH  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:31 pm
Baby LondonStar has a tutorial on how to make human-type plushies, but she also has a list of material you might need.

Faux fur might be the best bet for a stuffed ferret. It can get expensive -- over 10$ a yard.... and that's all I know. I make stuffed animals from calicos only.

Oomph. One thing that might help is that you might want to look at pre-existing stuffed animals for patterns -- a lot of patterns for four-legged plushies have four parts to the body -- the two sides, and the two insides.

That doesn't make sense.

Castilleja

Sparkly Genius

9,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Timid 100

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:25 pm
lol. It made sense to me. I speak engrish too. The ferrets I had would bite everything and their mom . . . and they would stink way bad . . . but I think that was because we had four of them stressed Thank you guys for the comments! I shall make my way to the store! *gets car keys*  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:44 am
when i wanted to know how to make a plushy or something my grandma got me a book...but it depends on how you want to make it...you could crochet it or sew it or so on and so forth...it just depends on how you want to make it.  

switchblade12

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:00 pm
are there actual books on plushie making?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:43 pm
sakurachan61123
heaps.
You should be albe to get them from the library.
just search for toy making rather than plushie  

I be me
Vice Captain

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:53 pm
I be me
sakurachan61123
heaps.
You should be albe to get them from the library.
just search for toy making rather than plushie

sounds like a plan to me. thanks for the help ^_^  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces