Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Books you need to look at

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AccentualWolf

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:31 am
I know that you all have a fovorite knitting book or several you think that are more than worth your time to look at and buy. In this thread is were you can post and look up what knitting books everyone is reading or are recommending. Not all books have to be pattern based. They can be fiction and be about a knitter or cute sayings about knitters. As long as there is a knitting theme to them.

My Recommendations:

Maran Illustrated: Knitting and Crochet.
More of a knitting book then a crochet book it has pictures that show you individual stiches with step by step instructions. Great for a begginer or an expert who just wants a little more detailed book.

At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much.
by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
This book is one of those cute books who shares sayings and words that will make you laugh and go "That's so true!"

Knitting Rules
by Stepanie Pearl-McPhee
This book has every thing to anitdotes about knitting and tips for taditional knitting projects like hats, socks, sweaters, and more. It even has tips for measurements and any other thing that annoys knitters beyond the normal glitches.

There you go guys and I can't wait to see what you put down for your recommendations.  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:32 pm
My book recomendation is...

The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches published by Reader's Digest.

It is the best stitch guide I've found. It has instructions for over 900 knit and crochet stitch patterns as well as basic instructions. One of my favorite things about it is that the pattern swatches are photographed in color. I have a few other stitch guides, but the swatches in them are photographed in black & white so it's harder to see the detail of the pattern.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:18 pm
I don't know what it is called... but if you look at ehter knitting book's or art book's you might find it.
its a book full of picturs of the whater or of sand and natural stuff, and then it fades into knitted things... its really cool looking to see how things around you can be inspiared into knitting.  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:08 pm
I'm a huge fan of Stitch and b***h and Stitch and b***h Nation, both by Debbie Stoller. They have great instructions if you don't know how to knit, and tons of patterns for just about every skill level.

She also wrote The Happy Hooker, which is a book in a similar vein as the SnB books, but for crocheters. smile  

wingedorange

AccentualWolf

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:47 pm
wingedorange
I'm a huge fan of Stitch and b***h and Stitch and b***h Nation, both by Debbie Stoller. They have great instructions if you don't know how to knit, and tons of patterns for just about every skill level.

She also wrote The Happy Hooker, which is a book in a similar vein as the SnB books, but for crocheters. smile

My mom got that book and she is itching to try out the flower scarf pattern in the book. I want one so bad crying crying  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:42 pm
AccentualWolf
wingedorange

My mom got that book and she is itching to try out the flower scarf pattern in the book. I want one so bad crying crying

I'm not huge on the flower its self...but I love the idea.
I want to try and make something like that for myself, I just have to try and find a way to make it look "manly". xd
I wash thinking about making another Harry Potter scarf and then making a snitch for it. xd  

Lee Kushrenada

Cyanna

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:23 am
wingedorange

I owe a lot to those book as far as knitting in concerned. I only got into knitting just last summer. Before that I found it to be dull...mainly because I wasn't any good at it and limited to very simple scarves. So I never knit anything. The book taught me about the world beyond the garter stitch. I'm really happy with what I got out of it. smile

Stoller has a way of writing that makes you feel that you are being taught by an older sister or a good friend showing you the ropes and encouraging you every step of the way. So it's like...not only do you feel good about knitting, you want to learn more and get better at it.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:07 pm
This is my first post in a while, been really busy with school, but for knitting books I would recommend anything by the Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the only one not covered is the Yarn Harlot, which is a collection of short stories about what's happened to her. The KnitLit series is good as well. For technique references definitely Vogue's Stitionaries and Vogue's Ultimate Knitting Book. Then for patterns my favorite has to be Loop-D-Loop.

For crochet I like SnB Happy Hooker, but I'm just learning so if anyone can point me to some good books that would be great!  

~neko neko kitty~

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff