Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Tutorials
Recycled yarn tutorials

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:17 pm
Last spring I was walking through my local thrift shop and noticed that the sweaters were all 50% off. Looking through the rack I found some very nice 100% wool sweaters, some were wool/silk blend. I had seen a tutorial on taking a sweater apart and reusing the yarn earlier in the week courtesy of Craftster so I bought one wool sweater to bring home and see if I could manage to follow the tut. I remembered that the seams were important, so I was picky about them.

Here is one tutorial that I used.
http://www.neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html

And here's another.
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html

I chose a sweater that was the color I wanted, but wool can be dyed with plain old kool-aid if you so wish as long as the yarn color you start with is light enough. There's a wonderful thread about dying wool with kool-aid and other food grade dyes at Craftster in the Knitting forum.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Yes! Thank you  

buttoneyes

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:03 pm
You're welcome. biggrin It's a way to get good quality yarn for much cheaper than you could buy it at the store. An added bonus is that you're saving a good sweater from the rag bins.
Goodwill has regional outlet stores that take the unsold merchandise from stores from around the area and they sell them by the pound. I can imagine that if you have the time it would be well worth it to dig around in the bins for a few hours.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:48 pm
ForestGreen
You're welcome. biggrin It's a way to get good quality yarn for much cheaper than you could buy it at the store. An added bonus is that you're saving a good sweater from the rag bins.
Goodwill has regional outlet stores that take the unsold merchandise from stores from around the area and they sell them by the pound. I can imagine that if you have the time it would be well worth it to dig around in the bins for a few hours.

hmm...I'm going to have to look up the regional outlet store nearest to me then...  

SaelensFrozenFlame

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:25 pm
I hit a few Goodwills in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area yesterday...I got 5 sweaters for less than $15, because all of them were orange tagged...and this week's color for the $.99 sale is orange...unfortunately, one of the sweaters has bad seams throughout...sadness.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:16 pm
Yes, but four of the sweaters had good seams. Great find by the way!
Have you ever felted a sweater on purpose? A friend of mine felts thrift store sweaters and makes things from the resulting felt. That would be a great way to deal with the one with bad seams.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:19 pm
ForestGreen
Yes, but four of the sweaters had good seams. Great find by the way!
Have you ever felted a sweater on purpose? A friend of mine felts thrift store sweaters and makes things from the resulting felt. That would be a great way to deal with the one with bad seams.

the one that has bad seams is made with synthetic yarn...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:52 am
That's too bad. You can still use the yarn from a sweater with bad seams, it's just a little more labor intensive and maybe not worth the bother of taking it apart. Do you have a friend you can give it to as a gift?  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:21 pm
ninja *runs to find that sweater she was about to donate to good will* it has good seams. whee Yay Yarn! rofl Thank you for posting the tut!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:26 pm
*is taking apart a lambswool, angora and nylon sweater now* It was really fuggly, but it's such a pretty grey...  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items