Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Weekly Show and/or Tell: May 23 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:01 am
Same concept as before, post about the project or projects you're working on this week, or your progress from last week's project. Post pics or not, either way. Tell us as much or as little as you want about your projects. If it's a ready-made pattern please post a link or what book it's from, if it's your own design and you're trying to sell it, let us know. Readers please ask before using someone else's original idea, you never know who might be trying to make money off their crafty skills or where they live. Feel free to chat in the thread too. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:06 am
I'm still working on the wedding gift for my cousin. I have appliques made and sewn onto the hot pads, oven mitts, and a centerpiece for the dining table. I still need to figure out how many appliques I'll need for the dish towels and where to place them on the towels though.
I also finally got around to posting links to a couple of recycled yarn tutorials in the tutorials forum. I have a shawl that I made out of reclaimed yarn from a Goodwill sweater that turned out wonderfully.
I've got a few other projects in mind for when I finally finish this one.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

AngwyMallard

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:07 am
First of all, I designed this, a heavily elegant gothic lolita-inspired skirt that I'll make from an old kid's wizard's gown to start with my project of transforming old clothes. The only new studd in this will be the ribbon on the front, hand-knit cotton lace and the yarn used to sew it all together.

My messenger bag has been advancing slowly, but I managed to move to the flap after doing some interesting I-cord binding off. :3 It's surely a thecnique I want to use somewhere again, since it turned out neater than my usual bind-offs.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:40 am
I love the design for the skirt, I hope you can show us pictures when it's done.
I love the bag pattern, it looks very functional. I'll need to learn more knitting techniques before I try something like that first though.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:44 pm
Hm... well, things are going pretty well on the Titania's Capelet from Spring's Interweave Crochet. The pattern is a bit vague in parts, but I think I've managed to either figure it out or muddle my way thru. sweatdrop

At a store closing, I picked up 6 skeins of Lion Brand Glitterspun yarn for less than $15 (if you were to buy it in a store, those same 6 skeins would cost $48 ). Only thing is... 4 are red and 2 are black. I'll probably make the Soleil tank top out of it, but I'm not quite sure where to incorporate the black. I suppose a band under the bust would be ideal, but I'm not sure if I should just... buy more red or just muddle thru with with I have. Any suggestions? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:26 pm
I'm working on an mp3 cozy. It is like the one I made for my phone but bigger. I'm hoping to make a cell phone cozy for my friend with a P on it for princess.  

AccentualWolf

firrantello

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:52 pm
I started work today on this Isabeau Purse in yellow. I think I might try to line it in black or blue or something funky. It's turning out smaller than I had hoped, so I might make this become a Christmas gift and make a bigger one for myself smile  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:06 am
I started on a baby blanket for Project Linus this morning. Size H crochet hook, Red Heart Baby Econo yarn in "Seashore" (variegated pink, white, mint green & periwinkle). It'll have white edging when I'm finished. Pattern is "Sideways Shell Baby Afghan" from http://www.projectlinus.org .

Check out the "Crafting Charities" thread in this forum for more charities if you're interested in donating.  

Padmasana

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm
That's a lovely little purse firrantello, a contrasting lining will look great.

Oooo, glitterspun, that's such pretty yarn. You got a great deal Peppermint Elf. If you're set on that pattern, I'd go get more red, it looks like it would look best in a solid color.

AccentualWolf I never saw a need to make cozies for anything until I got a new cell phone. It gets lost in my purse and I need some sort of case for it that I can hang off of my purse strap. I see more designing in my future. smile

@ Padmasana: Thanks for posting the charities. Projects for them sound like great stashbusters. Your baby blanket sounds like it will be very pretty, and someone is going to love it very much.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:41 pm
Well I'm taking a break from my sweater and started back into counted cross-stitch. I found a couple old books and got inspired. My move is done but my scanner still isn't hooked up yet sweatdrop Pics to come later. A friend of mine on gaia is pregnant so I'm making this picture that says "BABY" with teddy bears all over it. I'm alternating the letters blue and pink ^^  

gemini6184

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:57 am
Your cross stitch picture sounds cute, I bet it will be appreciated.
I keep wondering if I should try cross stitching again. The one time I did try, I messed up the picture pretty badly and never finished it. I need to find my bag of embroidery floss first though. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:40 pm
hmm, I was pointed towards this guild just today; you've a lovely set up ^^

I am cross stitching a bookmark ^_^ I bought a brass bookmark frame and a hummingbird/flower pattern and am putting it together for a friend. Four of my friends and I went into a drawing with each other to have a random present exchange... just because. The only rule was it had to be cheap, since we met online and live around the country and shipping can be evil: so most of us are making things. I've made cookies, a pillow, and now the bookmark.  

Kiareii

Seeker

AngwyMallard

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:11 am
Mhh, got furious at an old top today and tore it apart, just to notice that the knit pieces of it weren't cut on the edges. :3 So now I have quite a bit of recycled cotton yarn, made of several small threads put together to increase gauge.

I'll be trying to make this scarf for a friend out of it, adding more yarn in the case that the stuff I already saved arn't enough.

The Leskenlehtihuivi, "Widow's Leaf Scarf" is a Finnish pattern, but the pictures in the bottom of the page show how to make the flower "Widow's Leaf" stitch if you're interested.

Garnstudio also offers an English - Finnish knitter's dictonary if you want to try this. :3 English ("Engelska") and Finnish ("Finska") are on two different pages there, but the words are in the same order.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:58 pm
KitsunekoChan
Mhh, got furious at an old top today and tore it apart, just to notice that the knit pieces of it weren't cut on the edges. :3 So now I have quite a bit of recycled cotton yarn, made of several small threads put together to increase gauge.

I'll be trying to make this scarf for a friend out of it, adding more yarn in the case that the stuff I already saved arn't enough.

The Leskenlehtihuivi, "Widow's Leaf Scarf" is a Finnish pattern, but the pictures in the bottom of the page show how to make the flower "Widow's Leaf" stitch if you're interested.

Garnstudio also offers an English - Finnish knitter's dictonary if you want to try this. :3 English ("Engelska") and Finnish ("Finska") are on two different pages there, but the words are in the same order.

so you can read... uh... french? sweatdrop  

Lee Kushrenada

AngwyMallard

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:26 pm
Lee Kushrenada
KitsunekoChan

so you can read... uh... french? sweatdrop

Finnish, dear, Finnish. sweatdrop
Happens to be my native, English is only my second language.

Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff