Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
HOGEEZE.. I'm in over my head. Spandex...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ayeaka

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:54 am
Alrighty. Say I wanna make a super-heroesque costume..
Spandex springs to mind immidiatly, of course, but I've..had no experiance with the fabric, and I dunno about how you hafta wash it/ect/ect..anything I'd hafta keep in mind...
So basically, help would be nice? ^^;

User Image

Basic..paint sketch of the design I have in mind. I can easily get patterns for the gloves, and I have no problem modifying them for the feet. (The arms and legs aren't pictured, as they're basically solid black fabric.)
Anywho, anyone know of a pattern for a bodysuit that's not..all baggy and childhood-costume-looking?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:52 am
Wash spandex in cold water and hang to dry, putting it in the dryer will kill the elastic. You would probably want to use an overlock sewing machine to make it if you have access to one. And you will want a pattern with what's termed as negative ease so that it won't sag. You might try looking in the workout wear section of the pattern books. I've seen runners wear spandex bodysuits before. I just googled for bodysuit patterns and http://www.stretchy.org has a few pattern recomendations on the site.
Good luck and show us pics when you're done. smile  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:31 pm
isn't spandex hard to work with though? I never understood really how to sew those kinds of fabrics . . . I tend to streatch them or do something weird with them and when I'm all done sewing the product looks like CRAP!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:28 am
Mmm, I also talked with a woman at a local fabric store.
Occording to her, the fabric isn't hard at all to work with--you just have to make sure you're not stretching it while you sew it.

...I hope this turns out. >.<;

Ayeaka

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:50 am
I do too! I think it'll be cute!  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items