View Results

Dramatica Addams

Fashionable Vampire

28,390 Points
  • Charged Up 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Caroling Champ 100
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:57 am
This is just something that occurred to me the other day and i thought would make a good discussion, but i didn't know where to post it then, now i do! whee
Music seems such a big part of being Gothic or dark, or a Gloom Cookie, or spooky or however you lot describe yourselves; whether it be the originals : The Cure, The Banshees, the Damned, Theatre Of Hate, Sisters Of Mercy etc or the Finnish bands that hark back those day like HIM, The Eyes, Charon or even the mainstream acts MCR, Evenescence etc.
So is it possible to just love the literature, style, and dark nature of being a goth without any interest in the music?

PS. while i can not stop you from doing so, anyone who posts here arguing about the bands i mentioned will NOT get a reply from me...  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:14 am
Depens on who you ask but id say no. Cant be a goth without listening to goth music just like you cant be a metalhead without listening to metal.  

Emperor Lothar

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:32 am
I do think it's a possibility since not everyone in the guild stick strickly to "goth only" music. Maybe it's more likely that the music and everything else go hand in hand, but I don't think you have to love all music goth to be a part of the gothic sub-cultural movement.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:03 am
lurichan
I do think it's a possibility since not everyone in the guild stick strickly to "goth only" music. Maybe it's more likely that the music and everything else go hand in hand, but I don't think you have to love all music goth to be a part of the gothic sub-cultural movement.

Thats not really what i meant, i mean most people listen to all kinds of music unless they're really boring whee
I mean to not have a taste for any goth music at all and to just be attracted to the other aspects.
I realized that music is usually what draws one into the Goth scene in the first place so if it is possible it must be pretty rare...  

Dramatica Addams

Fashionable Vampire

28,390 Points
  • Charged Up 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Caroling Champ 100

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:30 pm
It does seem to me that alot of goths at my school determine if your goth by what bands you like. That isn't the only thing that makes a goth though.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:54 pm
i think you can be gothic w/out a love for music but thats just me  

FireFarie54

Black Ayesha

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:13 pm
lola_siannodel
It does seem to me that alot of goths at my school determine if your goth by what bands you like. That isn't the only thing that makes a goth though.

When I was at high school, I was called "goth" by the other kids, even though they had no idea what kind of music I listened to. They based it entirely upon my appearance and behaviour. So, I would say that implies it must be possible... and quite common. We hear a lot, about how if you call yourself goth, you're not goth, etc.. It's something other people call you. Other people are not going to stop you in the street to ask, "Say, are you Goth or Emo? Do you prefer Bauhaus to MCR?" Judgements are made off of superficial impressions as well as deeper things, such as taste in music. So I feel you can be counted as goth without listening to the music... whether you can be goth without listening to the music.... hehehe, well, the day they write a manual on how to be goth, I plan to not be it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:00 pm
music is a part of being human  

h8kitten

The_Forth

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 pm
No just no stop the abonination , bands like Mudvayne are NEEDED.....  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:01 pm
It really depends on who your asking. Some people say goth is just about the music, but I however know it's more than that. I personally don't think you have to love the music to be goth, but that's just me.  

BlairyFairy

Acerbus nox noctis

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:14 pm
I don't believe that you have to like the music, but I do think it is a major factor in the gothic subculture. So if you are attracted to the literature, concepts, etc. I do think it is possible to still be Goth.  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:51 am
Hmmm... Interesting topic, I must say.
I really couldn't offer much of an opinion on this one, considering I only have my own experience to tell for.
From the start, I've been a bit interested in history and what not and the Gothic Culture was one I stumbled upon. Throughout the year, I had been reading on it. I've been wearing mainly dark colors [for pretty much ever] though I switched two full time black about a year and a half ago, simply because I liked the style.
To be honest with you, I didnt really know what 'goth' was until About 10 of my peers ganged up on me and attempted to 'punish' me for being what I supposidly was. After that I kept my eyes open and finally figured it out, me being so smart. [sarcasm..]
I didnt really go for the music until a few of my friends introduced it to me..That officially marked me as no longer poser so...whatever.
My interest is in all music. Goth music is alright, but my favorites lie elsewhere.  

Choklit Teddi

450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300

Dramatica Addams

Fashionable Vampire

28,390 Points
  • Charged Up 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Caroling Champ 100
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:51 am
h8kitten
music is a part of being human

Well said^^
This topic certainly is food for thought, anyway^^  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 am
I dont think a type or certain band should define it. If that was the case, Id be a Riot girl, through and through.
Which doesnst work at all becuse im not a femminest and I dont annoy myself.
Goth is, the tude.  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

CGurp

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:16 pm
Actally its more than possiable. You could like me, be intrestead in gothic art or literature. There were goths before rock.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff