Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Goth means I can't get a job? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Another stupid topic?
  Yes, your last one was too...
  *shrugs* Maybe, depends on how I feel today.
  No, it touches on the subject of being mean because of clothes.
  Don't care, why should you..
View Results

Soriana Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:40 pm
Really, what don't I have that the othnet girl with more colorful clothes has? I don't have tattoo's, nor more then one peircing on each ear. Why dose being Gothic restrick me from being a Vetrinarian? I don't want to be a Tattoo artist, or a Hot Topic employee. I want to work with animals and yet I'm shunned because I ware a black and sometimes a bit of color. It's not like I cut myself, nor do I stab anyone with a pencil *rolls eyes* Thats what the guy said in the interview, b*****d.

"Gothics are depressed people, they cut themselfs and will rape you if your not careful!" Yeah, right, I know people get raped, but its not the Gothics! Rwar! D:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:54 pm
What the ********? That's not cool...  

BlairyFairy

Demi Veritaz

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:04 pm
Sociology:
If you do not follow a cultures norms, you'll probably get slapped with as many negative labels as a person can possibly put on you. Thats how it goes with strangers anyway. If you know people more directly, they'll be more likely to give you a chance.

My suggestion for getting a job: Act normal, like a prep or whatever, but keep your intelligence with you. If thats too unbearable, prepare for the big red Hot Topic logo.

You will get judged no matter where you go. Deal with it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:08 pm
Soriana Leo
Really, what don't I have that the othnet girl with more colorful clothes has? I don't have tattoo's, nor more then one peircing on each ear. Why dose being Gothic restrick me from being a Vetrinarian? I don't want to be a Tattoo artist, or a Hot Topic employee. I want to work with animals and yet I'm shunned because I ware a black and sometimes a bit of color. It's not like I cut myself, nor do I stab anyone with a pencil *rolls eyes* Thats what the guy said in the interview, b*****d.

"Gothics are depressed people, they cut themselfs and will rape you if your not careful!" Yeah, right, I know people get raped, but its not the Gothics! Rwar! D:

Um..I'd really need a bit more information than you being shunned. What went down? And most importantly how did you dress (including makeup).  

MortSanglant

DieiNoctis

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:29 am
Here's the easiest way to get a job. Abandon the gear.

Not forever, and not all the time, but if you're going in for an interview, get some khakis, a dress shirt, ect... Lose the spikes and chains.
Once you have the job, start working small ammounts of the jewlry back into your wardrobe. If you do it a little bit at a time, no one will take much notice.

Or, just act "normal" when your at work. When you get a job, you're there to do some peice of work, and get paid, not to express individuality. Companies hate all that individuality, so loose it, get your check, and when you get off work, put the gear back on.  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:35 am
Most employers don't want goths working for them. It's a fact. Because of stereotypes, predjudice, etc... They don't want the kid that might scare the clients/ customers/ public away. And DieiNoctis is completely right, you're there to work, to do a job, not to express yourself.

When I am job searching, I still tend to wear all black, but nothing obviously "goth". A smart black suit, or a long black skirt, black eyeliner, and no lipstick... If you want to be "you", but still get a job, that's the best approach. No one is going to bug you for favouring dark colours, if you look smart and approachable in them. I usually make a point of asking at the job interview if there is a "dress code" - a lot of places do, or they have an unofficial uniform of some kind. And even if they say no, I do as suggested, and introduce a goth style slowly, to gauge the response I get from my employer. Spiked bracelets one week, chains the next... the second I start to get uncomfortable vibes, I tone it down a notch, and then stay there. In today's society, it's more important for me to be able to have and keep a job, than it is for me to wear spikes. How else am I supposed to be able to afford the boots???  

Black Ayesha

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:41 am
I say just be yourself and wear anything that won't be too elaborate and will scare or freak out others. Sometimes people are idiots though, which isn't an excuse.  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:16 pm
Will probably be harder to get a job but it wont be impossible. Just to keep trying i guess.

I worked for the salvation army for 5 months and im usually dressed all black.  

Emperor Lothar

Suicidal_Snowflake

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:20 pm
yea i know what your saying....people can be such ingnorant bastards stare  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:49 pm
No jewlery, no makup, no spikes.

Acctualy, that's how I dress...

Failing that, get a prejudice case filed!  

Mordrayne

Little Miss Lunacy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:05 pm
That's ignorance at its peak. Since you weren't going to get the job anyway, you should have said something!  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:32 pm
Dress Professional.

Overly Professional. Havent you noticed that too is a bit goth?
The shinny leather shoes, the well tailored black suits, the silk shirts and Classy jewerly.

Look what Manson has done to the look of Suits.

Just leave the hair and make up out of it.

nobody can then accuse you of being goth or diffrent, youre just "well dressed"

they might call you a p***k though rofl  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:00 pm
Perhaps I was fortunate to find one who didn't judge me when I found my job as a vetrinary assistant.....sometimes I must remind myself the majority of the world is rather closed-minded.
Technically you are legally justified in sueing, if you so chose. Discrimination toward goths have been brought to court in the U.S. to varying degrees of positive outcomes.  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:19 pm
If you want to be a vet, don't give up. You don't have to fully change the way you look for that job. You need to find a place that accepts you for you. You don't want to be working for people who don't accept your look/lifestyle anyway.
If right now being a vet doesn't work out, there are plenty of other stores that are a lot more openminded, and that aren't tattoo places or Hot Topic. I currently work for a store that specializes in the occult. Wow, how stereotypical does that sound? xd But no, it's just a really openminded place that gets me out into the working world until I'm old enough to go into psychology.
You could always look into working in a place like that?  

RaynieDays

h8kitten

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:08 pm
i got a gob at JC p***s  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items