Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Who and Whom Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:06 am
Do you ever use the word 'whom'? I never have until now.
I always used to ask, "Who did you speak to?" or "Who was that letter for?"
In class the other day I realized that in both those situations I should use the word 'whom'

"To Whom did you speak?" (answer:.. I spoke to HIM.)
"Who did you speak to?" would answer "I spoke to HE." That doesn't make sense.

Same with this sentence:
"Who was that addressed to?" (answer..It was for HE)<--WRONG
"To Whom was the letter addressed?" (answer..It was addressed to HIM)

Also, a person should never finish a sentence with "to"
"Where did you go to?" Should just be ""Where did you go?"

Interesting.... isn't it?  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:45 am
Very interesting. I was never really sure when "whom" should be used, so now I know. smile It does make a lot of sense.  

Fatal Hilarity

Aramethea

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:23 am
Very informative, thank you! I've been using whom quite a bit lately - the guild is having an effect...  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:44 am
They're just different cases of the same word. Who is nominative and should only be used for the subject or the predicate nominative of the sentence. Whom should be used everywhere else.  

Sola Catella

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:36 pm
Sola Catella
They're just different cases of the same word. Who is nominative and should only be used for the subject or the predicate nominative of the sentence. Whom should be used everywhere else.

Huh? question  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:07 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Sola Catella

Huh? question

It's kind of like "he" and "him." wink  

Confused Cotton Socks

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:31 pm
I've tried to use "whom"...but I always forget. gonk  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:14 pm
I have learnt this a few weeks ago, and I must say, it has made writing essays much easier with an understanding for the two.

Have you learned about the uses of 'whomever' and 'whoever' also? Our english teacher gave us some pointers for the two.

If I come across them as I'm going through my notes, I'll be sure to post them ^_^ But right now I'm worrying about writing up three Chemistry labs and cannot seem to be able to find my English notebook.  

Kohy

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:21 pm
Here are two websites for who/whom.
I've got a little headache now, so I didn't really look through them. They were the first ones on Google.com.

razz

Who and Whom

Who and Whom 2  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:52 pm
Alright.

Who- person doing action.

Example: "Who ate my cookie?", not "Whom ate my cookie?"

Whom - person action is done to

Example: "Whom did the ball hit?", not "Who did the ball hit?"

I hope this clears up some issues.  

Zealot of Insanity

Sola Catella

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Sola Catella

Huh? question

Oh, er, sorry. I temporarily forgot that not everyone takes Latin (the language has five noun and pronoun case endings to English's two for pronouns only, so you tend to rack up very detailed knowledge on technical terms for cases). As CCS said, use 'who' where you'd use 'I' and 'whom' where you'd use 'me.'  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:32 pm
I love using the word Whom! I don't know, maybe cause not a lot of people use that word. >_^  

Litia_Echo

Pythian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:39 am
Sola Catella

Oh, er, sorry. I temporarily forgot that not everyone takes Latin (the language has five noun and pronoun case endings to English's two for pronouns only, so you tend to rack up very detailed knowledge on technical terms for cases). As CCS said, use 'who' where you'd use 'I' and 'whom' where you'd use 'me.'

I must admit, five semesters of Latin made English much more understandable to me. This is especially true for subject vs. direct object and for subordinate clauses.

That said: Who/Whoever = subject, Whom/Whomever = direct object

Also, there was an above post in this tread about throwing useless words on the end of sentences, like "to". My biggest pet peeve is when "at" is thrown on, as it is done so often. Even on the news, now, anchors are doing this, which is starting to make me mourn for the intelligence of the nation.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:07 am
Pythian
Sola Catella

I must admit, five semesters of Latin made English much more understandable to me. This is especially true for subject vs. direct object and for subordinate clauses.

That said: Who/Whoever = subject, Whom/Whomever = direct object

Also, there was an above post in this tread about throwing useless words on the end of sentences, like "to". My biggest pet peeve is when "at" is thrown on, as it is done so often. Even on the news, now, anchors are doing this, which is starting to make me mourn for the intelligence of the nation.

Yeah, but whom isn't just accusative case. In English, accusative, genitive, dative, and ablative are all glommed up together in the objective case. That means that things like indirect objects, objects of prepositions, and the like are also all for whom.  

Sola Catella

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:56 pm
It is so sad when people don't know when to use it. The public school system use to cover grammar intensely, but now it is just skimmed over. sad  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff