Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
likes only or only likes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you use?
  Only likes
  Likes only
View Results

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:10 am
Which do you use on a regular basis?

"He likes only ham on his pizza."
or
"He only likes ham on his pizza."

If you use the first one, congradulate yourself. You have spoken proper English. "He likes only..."

I learned in class yesterday that many of us say "only likes"...but this is incorrect. I forget the reasoning behind it with the pronouns, adverbs, verbs etc, but if you'd like I can come back to this post and explain it later when I have my book.

Interesting, isn't it?  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:19 pm
I used the first, but I didn't read the whole post. xp  

Healing Rain

GabbySilverwood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:36 pm
Yeah... I actually use a different word when I say it the second way.
I guess that just leaves me out in the cold.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:11 am
I never thought about that, I always write the second way. You would think the first way sounds wrong.  

Gomer Tymur

Buffy_Summers_Rox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:24 am

I always say the first option, but I thought it was wrong xp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:16 am
Heh, I am so used to saying it the second way, that I don't think I'll be saying it the correct way for awhile...

It's just like when you are referring to yourself and another, you're supposed to say "My friend and I", not "Me and my friend."
I usually say "My friend and I", but people think that sounds weird also.  

tetrasmaster

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:56 pm
Wow. I'll admit I've never heard of that either. I guess that one had us all stumped.

What about something like: "He only likes to travel when the weather's fine"? Would it then be, "He likes only to travel when the weather's fine?"  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:03 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Wow. I'll admit I've never heard of that either. I guess that one had us all stumped.

What about something like: "He only likes to travel when the weather's fine"? Would it then be, "He likes only to travel when the weather's fine?"

The reason it is as it is in the first example is because the word 'only' is acting as an adjective.

He likes only this. 'This' is what the adjective is describing. In your example however there is a prepositional phrase, so only is acting as an adverb. Thus the first is correct. However when stating "He only likes this." it implies that the subject likes but one thing. Which is typically false. What the speaker is usually trying to get accross is that in the context of the conversation the subject prefers but one item.  

ZigguratII

Aarora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:00 am
Oh, wow. o: I never use the first one... "She only likes cats." ... "She likes only cats." That's so weird. x3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:21 pm
OK, so we say: "He likes only pepperoni on his pizza", (meaning that pepperoni is the only pizza topping he likes, but he still likes other foods), "He only likes to travel in the nice weather" (meaning he doesn't like to travel in foul weather) and "He only likes cats" (meaning he doesn't like other animals. Correct?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

ZigguratII

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:11 am
For the most part yes, taking a sentence out of context that's how it'll breakdown. Though with context either of them will get across the idea you're trying to express.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:33 am
I usually use the first one "likes only", but I also have always thought it depended on in which way you were using it.  

Litia_Echo

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:44 am
I use only likes. It really depends on the situation.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games