Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Owl's Roost | Resources and Services |
Dedication Ceremony (Complete. See inside for how it went.)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Count.
View Results

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:44 am
Click here for how it went.

****Up until recently, I have always felt my strongest connection with the God Dionysus, or Bacchus (for those who use the Roman names), and the Goddess Eris (Discord/Discordia?), but recently I've felt my connection with Dionysus slipping, and weakening. And not just a little at a time. I mean a lot.

Those are both fairly chaotic dieties, and I reccomend doing a lot of research on them before working with them, by the way... And the same for the following God I am about to mention.

So who has my connection been building with, among the male dieties that I've worked with? It seems Eros and I have been having a stronger connection as of late. (I think its kind of funny. My first real crush that I remember was on the actor Karl Urban, when he was playing Cupid/Eros on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess... And for now my connection to be building with that God, its fairly humorous to me.)

So what I wanted to do was to hold a ceremony. Something to tell Dionysus that I am sorry, and our connection has eroded over time (since I was around 6, I've loved this God). To let me celebrate the old and the new. And to let me re-dedicate myself in the name of Eros.

What I was looking for were dedication ideas... I have a few things... I wanted to get opinions.

I was going to burn a slice of Apple in Eros' name... I need something to burn in Dionysus' first. And wine and grapes aren't an option at this point.
I was going to recite a poem in honor of Dionysus, and then another in honor of Eros...
I was going to burn a white candle inscribed with the Futhark Runes Uruz and Teiwaz, and the name Eros. (The runes are chosen with a very special personal meaning in mind.)
I was going to cast circle, first, with my special dagger...

Also, my brother and his friend are actually intersted in the ceremony, and want to tag along. (They aren't interested in the Religion, just the ceremony.) Should I let them come along?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:49 am
Winter Black
Also, my brother and his friend are actually intersted in the ceremony, and want to tag along. (They aren't interested in the Religion, just the ceremony.) Should I let them come along?
It's your ceremony. If you want them there they can come. If you feel they will interfere then tell them not to come. If your ritual is primarily for your own personal dedication it might make more sense for them not to be there. I know I wouldn't like spectators at those sorts of rituals for myself. But in the end it's up to you. It's your dedication.

And couldn't you give Dionysus a wine libation? Or you could burn a grape leaf. How come you can give Eros some apple and you can't give Dionysus some grape?

Just as a matter of interest, why do you feel you have to re-dedicate yourself to Eros and say goodbye to Dionysus? Do you feel you won't be able to work with him once you're dedicated to Eros?  

Pelta

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:33 pm
I will allow them to come, because this is the kind of thing I would want not only divine witness to, but mortal witness, as well.
They can help me set things up, too.

At this point, there are apples in the house, but we have no money to afford grapes, which are horribly expensive in the supermarket... And I'm not stealing a grape for Dionysus.
I have to work within a budget, and since I'm not working and getting paid, and mom won't buy grapes, I have to find something else.
And no wine because I am not old enough to buy it. You see? I cannot buy it, and no one in the family drinks it.

As for why I have to "say goodbye" to Dionysus, I said above that my connection with him is slipping, and weakening... I no longer feel as connected to him as I once did... And I feel the connection that was once non-exsistant with Eros firming and strengthening.
So you see, it is time to let go of Dionysus, and accept Eros.
I'm not saying goodbye, I am merely switching my dedication. I will not forget Dionysus in my prayers, and at my altar. He is just not my Patron any longer.
Either he has let me go, or we've just grown apart. Either way, I will still love him.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:56 pm
Or maybe he sees you growing up. wink As far as I remember, Dionysus has been associated with (but is not limited to) partying and intoxication, which are sometimes associated with the teenage years, as well. So, perhaps its not so much "growing apart" but "moving forward", and I certainly see no hard feelings. And while you probably have this in mind, it serves to be reminded that the matter shouldn't be viewed with hard feelings.

Dionysus is also associated with rams, agriculture, and fertility of nature. In that view, you could carve a ram into an apple and offer that to him, while Eros has a different carving. It's up to you and your associations with each. 3nodding  

Jameta
Captain

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:15 pm
But I am still a teenager. I'm only 18. [smiles] And I like to drink.
Perhaps, though it is more my growing up than anything. He's been with me since I was 4 or 5, though, maybe longer for all I knew, so he's watched me become an adult.

I have decided that since he is a party-related God, I would go with something like streamers, or a party hat (you know the point paper ones from birthday parties?), or something like that. [smiles] That way my mom won't bother me for wasting too much food, since we already eat way more than we should. XD

And you are right to assume that there are no hard feelings. There is more love, than anything. I love Dionysus, and I get the feeling he really loves me. He just feels its time to let me go, I suppose. Time to do the fatherly thing and let me grow up completely.

But then, why is Eros the one taking over? If Dionysus, the God of Parties and Wine, is stepping down to let me grow up... Why is Eros, the God of Desire and Passion, the one stepping up to be my Patron?
Wait, nevermind, I get it now. [blushes and laughs]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:16 pm
Consider the double-meaning behind Eros: he is not just the Greek Cupid, but Eros is also consider done of the original creators, what with drawing Uranus and Gaia out of Chaos (if I remember correctly). The name Eros carries more with it than much of today's society associates it with. 3nodding  

Jameta
Captain

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:28 pm
I know. I read all about him. Without him, the other Greek Gods wouldn't really exist.
Which is one of the reasons I really do love him, deep down inside. He's amazing.

A beautiful youth on golden wings... But a Ker, none-the-less. He has no respect for anyone, regardless of age or station, you know?
He's basically like your average ten rebel, only on a much more divine scale. Which is great. <3

A Ker is a "Spite", I believe the book said... It either means "spite" or "winged spite". I can't remember.
So, for my patron to be a spite is a little funny to me. I don't have a spiteful bone in my body, so far as I know.

Either way, I accept him, and what ever he has to teach me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:23 am
I wouldn't let anyone tag along if i were you. this should be a special dedication and meant only for you (and your coven if you have one).

As for Bacchus poetry sounds pest, something in old dactylic hexameter probably would be best (its what the ancient poets used, inclusing Euripedies who wrote Bacchae).
The burning of the apple and candle for Eros i'm a little confused on, isn't tis supposed to be about Bacchus? I may just be misreading it.
And as for what to burn for Bacchus try a laurel crown (yes the laurel leaves stand for Apollo but they were commonly worn by Bacchae)  

WickedDecember

Dapper Dabbler

4,450 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:25 pm
What the ceremony is, December, is me saying "thank you, and goodbye" to Dionysus (not Bacchus, I don't worship them under thier Roman names), and saying "hello, my lord" to Eros.
Dionysus was my teacher from when I was very young, 4 or 5, maybe even before.
Now, he is stepping down, and letting me go, and Eros would like to take his place.
So I am having a little party, a ceremony to say "goodbye" and "I love you" to Dionysus, and "hello" and "I'm sure I'll love you just as much" to Eros.

I have a poem for each of them.
I am going to burn a party accessory (probably a paper hat or a piece of streamer) for Dionysus, and some apple, which, as I recall, is a symbol of love and beauty, both of which are mentioned in conjunction with Eros, a beautiful winged Ker, who sets the fires of love to burning.

And since this is a celebration, then allowing my brother (who supports me fully in everything) and our friend (who I trust) would make the occasion more merry, and joyus.

Its tomorrow.
Perhaps I'll have a little story written up on it for you guys, let you know how it went.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:40 am
The ceremony was wow.
Just wow.
It went wonderfully, once we actually got the fire going.
I have a candle in the sand at each of the points of the compass.
I called the Guardians of the Elements, the representitives, to bear witness to circle.
In my own way, with my own words.
North, Earth.
East, Fire.
South, Air.
West, Water.
All and none, the center of existance, Akasha.
And plundged my ceremonial dagger into the sand before the Candle representing Akasha.
The fire in front of me was burning nicely.
I read my respectful poem to Dionysus. I burnt the offering in his name, a few pieces of multi-colored Streamers.
I read my poem in Eros' name, welcoming him to my life.
I pulled the dagger from the earth, and sliced the apple into four pieces.
One burnt in the fire, for Eros.
The other three went to myself, my brother, and our friend.
We each said out piece, we sang a song (Killed Rock and Roll, by System of a Down. Its really the only song we can all sing together, and it just kind of happened).
Then I closed circle, and we came home.
We spend the rest of the night talking, watching movies, and being creative (especially with Google.ca and the I'm Feeling Lucky option), and being merry.
I'm still awake.
[smiles]
It is now noon. No. Almost one.

Winter Black
Crew

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:03 am
I'm sorry, I must ask: where do you live? Just curious.

Glad it went well. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:05 am
*thumbs up for Candice*  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

[GWW Guild Mule]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:23 am
Nihilistic Seraph
*thumbs up for Candice*

Huh?
GAK, Candice. xD
Man, I am getting confussled now, since my name is Kandice.

I am glad to hear that everything went well, I really need to start dong rituals. <3 But, I am not ready, and nothing to do one on, and I am not going to do one just for the fun of it, it's a waste of magical energy.

Oh, did you expect something smarter? xD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:53 pm
Seira Relur
I'm sorry, I must ask: where do you live? Just curious.

Glad it went well. mrgreen

I chose to answer this first.
Barrie, Ontario.
But I plan on getting out of here as soon as I can.

Thank you, Nihl. Thank you so much. <3

If you can think of a fair reason to hold a ritual, even if its just for as simple as a kinship, that is special enough.

Winter Black
Crew

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:25 am
i am no good at any of this, i was glad to read about what you did. i want to see if somehow i could get some people to help me out with getting used to this tuff, i don't realy know how to be....well, faithfull outwardly! gonk and i realy think that to put something out in the material world where my planet that i love is is important. emo i don't know anything about the gods, just that i respect them so much better. i know that there are certain TYPES of gods, but i only know the D&D equivalents, so that's no good.  
The Owl's Roost | Resources and Services |

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games