Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
n00b language can be understood... so why be a literate? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To be Literate you need to:
  spell and use grammar correctly.
  flame n00bs that irritate you.
  show off and grow a big head.
View Results

KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:14 am
Well, when I entered Cesia101's Dear N00bs, why is GRAMMAR important? thread, I noticed many people saying that literacy doesn't matter... and as long as you can understand the text, there is no need to correct the person who wrote it.

Quote:

Correct grammar is nice, but as long as you can understand what the person is saying, why does it matter? Just add them to ignore if it bothers you.

People who call themselves literates, or "elite literates" get on my nerves. That's not even correct grammar (the word is "literati").

That's Quote number one... Quote number two:

Quote:
Correct grammar is nice but as long as you can understand what the person is saying why does it matter?
=O

Two emotions I felt whilst reading those posts were confusion and uneasiness as I thought to myself yet again about whether being a literate was pointless.

Because it's true (ignore my terrible grammar there) that it's ok if you can understand what the n00b is talking about... as long as the words are understandable, and the message has been conveyed, a normal conversation can be built...

I remember watching an argument develop between a n00b and a literate in an RP thread once. It was terrible, the other RPing people tried to stay out of the argument, or join the literate's side. This could have been caused by the fact that the n00b was swearing and progressively getting angry while the literate was calmly insulting the n00b and coolly flaming him. I wasn't impressed by this, and left the RP thread immediately. There, I was too frightened to have a say and try and stop the argument... but I feel more comfortable in this guild and I thought that maybe I should raise this point.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:16 am
<[ Richness comes from the heart heart Not from earning money. ]>

I just noticed... the two quotes I put in... the second person must have copied and pasted what the other person had said. sweatdrop

<[I... I'm hyperactive heart User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.]>

KoshiDoragon

ZigguratII

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:03 am
I type well, because everything I type is a representation as myself. If someone can not take the time to type well and get their thoughts across in a cool and easily read manner, then why should they be trusted to have spent the time researching or even learning about what they're saying? The English language is something most people on this boards should be very proficient with. However, it seems that those who have learned it as a second language are typically more adept than those who have had time ot learn it all their life - a bit of a disturbing tendency I might add. It says something about you when you type, and that is why I type well.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:53 am
I agree with you...But at the same time, I used to use "txt tlk" but now it just takes longer for me to use it because I'm so used to typing with whole words rather than cutting them down. I feel like the person who is using text talk is somehow...I don't know....I just feel more comfortable talking to other peolple who use correct grammar and spelling.

[-True Illusion-]

XAkumade_ShitsujiX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:04 pm
It's important... I can't think of a proper reason, at the moment, however...  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:18 pm
Hm...That may be true, however, we were all noobs once, like I was, seemingly a billion years ago.

I am sure that all of you were noobs.  

Embodiment Of The Living

Ghurdrich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:23 pm
Ah ah ah. Watch yourself. Every single person on Gaia was once a newbie. A noob is significantly different. A noob, be definition, does not have to be new. He or She is simply someone who is obnoxious on the net. It just so happens that being obnoxious usually entails shortening words, or substituting numbers for letters. Sometimes it makes me think though. What motivates these folks to do this? It is slower to type that way, and often aggravates people. Is it because they are influenced by the numerous trolls here? Let's hope not.

By the way, I will admit that I was once a noob, for a short period of time, but as you can see, I have corrected my errors and started anew. My grammar is refined, my spelling above average. That is because I encourage people to correct me instead of flaming them. When someone says "The word is 'you're', not your," I fix my mistake and learn form it. I don't cry, I don't get mad, I don't call that person a grammar nazi. That is the difference between a noob and a newb. Note it for the future.

-Ghurdrich out

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 am
I think civility is important. If a literate flames a n00b, they make themselves look like a n00b as well. Once in a while, I'll gently upbraid a truly obnoxious n00b, but generally I keep to myself. The worst are the supposed grammar nazis who have several errors in their own posts. Those I will flame without mercy because they trivialize our cause.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

GabbySilverwood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 am
I would have to answer the question with a question.
Why be literate? Well, Why have Shakespearean english, or fine art, or for that matter, gormay food.
(Someone please tell me how to spell that one.)
It's all a matter of taste. If you don't mind, well then it's not a problem.
But if you do, most people who care about talking to you at all will make an effort to be more easily understood.
Unfortunatly, sometimes it does get to the point where you just can't understand people.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:31 am
Child_Of_Sephiroth
Hm...That may be true, however, we were all noobs once, like I was, seemingly a billion years ago.

I am sure that all of you were noobs.

Nope, sorry to disappoint. X) I was a lurker! ^^ I found out what was accepted on boards a while back, so I never used chatspeak or l33t. As Ghurdrich said, a n00b is a person who is obnoxious, not a person who is always new. I try not to be rude, but I may come off that way sometimes. smile  

Sylph_Jr

KiraLight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:50 am
I dont' know..it just bothers me..  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:52 pm
Ghurdrich
Ah ah ah. Watch yourself. Every single person on Gaia was once a newbie. A noob is significantly different. A noob, be definition, does not have to be new. He or She is simply someone who is obnoxious on the net. It just so happens that being obnoxious usually entails shortening words, or substituting numbers for letters. Sometimes it makes me think though. What motivates these folks to do this? It is slower to type that way, and often aggravates people. Is it because they are influenced by the numerous trolls here? Let's hope not.

By the way, I will admit that I was once a noob, for a short period of time, but as you can see, I have corrected my errors and started anew. My grammar is refined, my spelling above average. That is because I encourage people to correct me instead of flaming them. When someone says "The word is 'you're', not your," I fix my mistake and learn form it. I don't cry, I don't get mad, I don't call that person a grammar nazi. That is the difference between a noob and a newb. Note it for the future.

-Ghurdrich out

<[I met you as a stranger, I love you as a friend~]>

I know the difference between "newb" and "n00b" stare I was just saying that I was a n00b before... well, before I found the pleasure of being literate.

<[ I hope we meet in heaven, where friendship never ends~ heart ]

KoshiDoragon

KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:58 pm
GabbySilverwood
Why be literate? Well, Why have Shakespearean english, or fine art, or for that matter, gormay food.
But if you do, most people who care about talking to you at all will make an effort to be more easily understood.
Unfortunatly, sometimes it does get to the point where you just can't understand people.

<[I met you as a stranger, I love you as a friend~]>

Yes, I suppose so. But then again, put yourself in a n00b's shoes. You just can't see the problem with the way you talk. People can understand you, and other n00bs don't seem to have much of a problem with it. However, as a literate, you may feel complied to flame the n00b into literacy. Think of this as a religion. When the Europeans settled in North America, they tried to convert all the American Indians into Christianity. Now, it's fine if you're christian, but it's not ok if you try to force someone with different views into that area of beliefs. N00bs like to be n00bs, and literates like to be literates. I just don't think there is any reason to hate eachother. Of course, more and more literates and n00bs these days are becoming friends, so this case can be dismissed as one that would heal itself.

<[ I hope we meet in heaven, where friendship never ends~ heart ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 pm
I must say, I hate people who say that literacy doesn't matter much more than I dislike people that are just bad at it.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:46 pm
GabbySilverwood
"Gourmet", my dear. =3
I personally don't like to use txt tlk too often. It makes my brain hurt trying to shorten words. sweatdrop I can read it easily, but writing it is a different story.
Literacy is something I'm really used to nowadays, since I keep to the literate to semi-literate guilds and Pms, and rarely venture out into the diverse (and sometimes insane) world of the forums of Gaia. Something I really hate is when a n00b, or a friend for that matter, jumps out and uses txt tlk on me when I'm chatting on a thread. I, however, keep it to myself unless the person is really getting out of hand.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff