View Results

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:39 am

A few days ago me and my mum went to Half Price books ( the best place in the universe <3 ). Mum stopped in the history section to find a good book on Native Americans. I zipped off to the Religion section to find a good book on the Vedas. While I was meandering around the Pagan and Wiccan sections I came across a couple of books by Fiona. At first I was drawn to the flashy cover. I opened it up and slowly my IQ dipped perilously. By the time I put the book back I'm pretty sure I was brain dead. I went and read some of the Bhagavad-Gita. I think I'm better now.

Anyway. xD I know people have the right to publish whatever the heck they want. But these books are just awful. Sometimes it seems like it's just an elaborate way for Fiona to camwhore herself like mad. Every other page had a picture of her either nude of semi-nude, holding snakes or trying to look 'Witchy.' I was pretty disgusted. Not that I'm against nudity. xD I read the tantras on a regular basis. I just thought it was really shallow. And the material inside was just as shallow.

Silver Ravenwolf is pretty bad too, some say. While I disagree on this (she is CERTAINLY not the best, she does have a few good ideas and she brought a lot of todays youth to Paganism) .. she is nowhere near as awful as Fiona Horne.

I had never actually seen her books until that day, so I didn't understand it when people dissed her.

But now I know .. gonk and it will never be something I can un-learn. *weeps*

So, my fellow Pagans, what are some truly awful books on Paganism or Wicca that YOU'VE come across lately?

[/pathetic attempt at discussion] xD
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:50 am

I dunno. I don't read those. Most of my info came from Dorrothy Morrison, Selene Silverwind, and the internet.
Dorrothy and Selene are both pretty good.

Hi, I'm Candice. XD

And now I must sleep. It is 10 to 4 in the morning.

Winter Black
Crew

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:53 am

Winter Black
I dunno. I don't read those. Most of my info came from Dorrothy Morrison, Selene Silverwind, and the internet.
Dorrothy and Selene are both pretty good.

Hi, I'm Candice. XD

And now I must sleep. It is 10 to 4 in the morning.

Hello Candice. xd heart

I should look those up. <3

I can't sleep. gonk Hence the making of overdone topics. xD
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:56 am

[shakes your hand]
What can I call you?

Yeah, more specifically Selene Silverwinds Everything Paganism book. Its really great.

I don't normally sleep. But I was up early (for once), and am now terribly tired. XD

Winter Black
Crew

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:49 am

-bows- Namaste! ^o^ <3 You can call me Suhaila. ^o^

Hmm .. I really ought to look that up when I go back to le book store. *nodnod* ^^ I feel really lacking in the book department .. xD we had a storage room that was full of books .. and because we couldn't pay for it anymore we lost everything in there. ;_; There were quite a few good Pagan books in there too. ;_;

Luckily I was able to save some of it just before or I'd be almost empty handed .. gonk

Anyhoodles .. ^^; yeah I'm an insomniac as well. xD I'm tired but .. Gaia has eaten my soul. xd

[/emoticon rape]
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:28 am

*looks up Fiona Horne*

That was her in Mad Mad House? eek

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Lila Malvae

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:04 pm

Yes, *sigh* yes it was....
You remember all the skanky outfits she wore/didn't wear, right?
Stupid pop-tart witch. We should definately burn her...

BOOKS! her books! That's what I meant, yeah... mrgreen
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:32 pm

LilaMalvae

i dont know who she is but if she is any thing like Silver raven witch then i whole harted ly agree we should burn her...books in a big pile with her...other books on top of it
yes burn the books wink

MOD66

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:21 pm

Twack
LilaMalvae

i dont know who she is but if she is any thing like Silver raven witch then i whole harted ly agree we should burn her...books in a big pile with her...other books on top of it
yes burn the books wink

I dunno...Silver isn't a horrible writer; her material's just made for pretty much the completely unknowlegeable beginner, so, to anyone else, she sounds condescending since she tries to put it in such simple, almost childlike, terms. To be thoroughly honest, the first book I read on this subject was one by Silver, and while I have since found she isn't the best author out there, she has her place in the metaphysical section, unlike a few books I've seen out there. It's amazing what some bookstores throw into that section. It's like they're TRYING to screw up young witches' lives with that garbage.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:51 pm

Azana Brown
Twack
LilaMalvae

yes burn the books wink

I dunno...Silver isn't a horrible writer; her material's just made for pretty much the completely unknowlegeable beginner, so, to anyone else, she sounds condescending since she tries to put it in such simple, almost childlike, terms. To be thoroughly honest, the first book I read on this subject was one by Silver, and while I have since found she isn't the best author out there, she has her place in the metaphysical section, unlike a few books I've seen out there. It's amazing what some bookstores throw into that section. It's like they're TRYING to screw up young witches' lives with that garbage.

xD Yeah that's true ... I mean, for the younger person brand-new to those concepts, she's not bad at all. I'm pretty grateful for her actually - the first books on Witchcraft that I could call my own ( my mums books were veerrry advanced and I had trouble understanding them at times ) .. and there are a lot of things that I learned first through Silver. She's done a lot of good things with the anti-defamation group too. At the time there were not really any beggingers books for younger people. That's why I don't dislike her. =P

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:32 pm

LilaMalvae

I dunno, she's kinda hot...

Wow, she even posed for Playboy xd
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:39 pm

A friend of mine is actually in close contact with Silver Ravenwolf. Over the course of their correspondence, she has told him that she intentionally writes her book to mislead and confused. Because, apparently, she doesn't want young people of today to have a firm grasp of Paganism. I think that she may have backfired in the respect, as most young Pagans I've talked to know she's full of crap and have moved on to more reputable sources.

Also, I read Amber K.. I think my brain screamed. X__x

Anima Lux

Fashionable Star

11,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:24 pm

Cyborg-Mermaid
A friend of mine is actually in close contact with Silver Ravenwolf. Over the course of their correspondence, she has told him that she intentionally writes her book to mislead and confused. Because, apparently, she doesn't want young people of today to have a firm grasp of Paganism. I think that she may have backfired in the respect, as most young Pagans I've talked to know she's full of crap and have moved on to more reputable sources.

Also, I read Amber K.. I think my brain screamed. X__x

xD I dunno Mermaid .. that seems pretty far out there. xD But I dunno.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:11 am

I've read Fiona; one of the first I read. Thank god my teachers ingrained a sense of cross-referencing in me, or else I might have been really freaky.

As of recently, I tried to stomach Spellcraft for Teens, but the content and author bugged the hell out of me. I'm going to try again this summer, and then look into compiling a better-basics book.

Jameta
Captain

Lila Malvae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:43 am

Yes, but the problem is that Silver IS experienced. She knows EVERYBODY. She's probably involved with the Daughters of Isis by now. I hate her mostly because she does have so much potential, and I'm sure she isn't full of crap other than what she projects. Does she think that this faith should belong to her and her only?
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff