Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Crochet

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you crochet?
  Yes - like it/love it
  Sorta - I've made a scarf or ...
  Ew no! Crochet is only doilies and granny squares!
View Results

taligator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:21 am
Hey guys -

I'm new here but my favorite craft is doing tunisian crochet. Some may know it as afghan stitch ..

Nice to be here, you guys are all very nice and I'm looking forward to being a part of this guild.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:20 pm
I crochet as well. smile My favorites are shell stitches.

Welcome to the guild! heart  

Padmasana

~neko neko kitty~

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:42 pm
I'm currently teaching myself to crochet, I'm picking it up a lot faster than I thought, I think that's because of my background in knitting.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:49 pm
Crochet is my favorite craft too. I recently found some afghan hooks at my local Goodwill but haven't had time to try learning to use them yet. I love the look of tunisan crochet and have wanted to add it to my set of skills for quite a while now. Tapestry crochet sounds interesting too.
Doilies are my guilty pleasure, I have no use for them but I love making them.
Welcome to the guild.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

firrantello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:00 pm
ForestGreen
Doilies are my guilty pleasure, I have no use for them but I love making them.
Welcome to the guild.

I am not a crocheter, except for finishing edges and sometimes connecting my knitting together. But my grandmother loves to crochet. She uses the lace-weight cotton and does mini-doilies as coasters. They actually work pretty well (Christmas idea for people *grin*)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:18 pm
I taught myself to knit because my Mom crocheted and there was NO WAY I was going to do that 'old persons' craft.

Heh .. less than 6 months after I taught myself to knit I taught myself to crochet because the idea of knitting an afghan was daunting.

I prefer to crochet, it seems to fit me better and so I've made it a point to learn more than the typical stitches that crocheters use. I've nothing against things like granny squares but I don't do them because I wanted crochet to be more challenging for me. It sounds really stupid when I write it out like this but I needed (at the time) to differentiate the crochet *I* did from the crochet my Mom did.

I've found that no matter whether I'm doing the simple stitches or the more complex that it relaxes me and I feel a sense of accomplishment. The more stressed I am with life the more I crochet. I didn't realize that until I went on a particularly stressful business trip and was feeling out of sorts while there and I headed to the craft store and picked up some thread and a hook and went straight back to the hotel and began working on a project. I felt more calm and began to realize that crochet, for me, was more than just accomplishing a tangible task, it was mental for me too.

I think my favorite thing to do is tunisian though, partially because it has the elegant look of knitting (and similar technique) but it's easy like crochet.

My favorite tunisian site is Chez Crochet - the creator has a book, The Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet which is wonderful and her instructions are very clear.  

taligator

switchblade12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:39 am
i love to crochet but right now i just make neclaces and junk but my family does it so im learning...i am going to pass it down to my children someday  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:17 pm
I crochet, and sell finished pieces online (see siggy for links). I also have a blog where you can see some other stuff I've done.

My grandmother crochets, and if she had the internet, I think she'd be proud of my and my accomplishments.

Aphadon

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:11 pm
I crochet now, too!

My mom brought home a book from the library with all kinds of angular knit and crochet stitch patterns, and a lot of the crochet ones looked interesting to me and much more appealing than the knitting ones... especially when it would come to making a long scarf or a blanket. I tried using the instructions in the back of that book to teach myself crochet, but it didn't work very well because they weren't very clear. I tried borrowing another book from the library, but it turned out that was by the same author and had the same faulty instructions! I ended up going to a bookstore and plunking down money for Happy Hooker, but I'm so glad I did it because now I know what I'm doing and I have another skill under my belt. 3nodding  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games