Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Thought, speech or quotations?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which for quotes?
  '...'
  "..."
  No idea, I'm as confused as you are.
  Hmm?
View Results

Ithaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:49 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:48 am
There is no set rule for thoughts, but in my experience, most writers simply use italics. Under no circumstances should you use double quotation marks--those are ONLY for speech. Single quotations arefine.

Your English teacher is incorrect. Book titles and other large, self-contained titles (albums, for instance) should be either underlined or italicized. Poems, songs, articles, and other small works should have double quotation marks.

Punctuation relating to the bit in parentheses/brackets or quotation marks should always go inside them. Punctuation relating to the rest of the sentence should go outside the parentheses/brackets, but the case is a little different for quotation marks. There, it depends on where you live. American English tends to dictate that all ending punctuation should go inside the quotation marks (The girl said that we need lots of 'Ds.'), where British English sometimes prefers to leave ending punctuation out of the sentence (The girl said that we need lots of 'Ds'.).

Word's grammar check is solid crap. You do not need a capital 'D' because you are not starting a new sentence.

Yes. You need a capital for the second 'What.'  

Sola Catella

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:30 am
I usually post thoughts in italics, and quotation marks (") around speech, or quotes outside of speech. Single-quotation-marks are for quotes inside a speech, or dialogue within a quote.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:37 pm

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kohy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:16 am
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:30 am
I've never, ever heard of underlining the titles...Of books in prose, I mean.  

Ithaya

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff