Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
What makes you an emo? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EMO
  i am an expert let me broaden your mind!
  Umm....
  What is an "emo"?
  Who came up with the stupid name for emo?
  The voices oh the voices
  Damn kristin really is the poll whore queen~!
View Results

Forever_the_child

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:48 pm
if there is already a recent post on this topic then i am sorry and apologize!
but i just read a topic where someone associated cutting with being emo, and so i thought to myself....what makes you an emo..please feel free to answer and if i am a nut for posting this because this is ALREADY a recent topic then....please no flamming! ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:05 pm
PLease guys im very curious and could use all the feedback i can get!  

Forever_the_child

Lady_Anastasia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:08 pm
"Emo" really has nothing to do with cutting at all. A lot of people who are into the emo style (emo being short for "emotional") like to listen to bands like Dashboard Confessional, Bright Eyes, as well as well as music from indie labels. The look includes rather tight clothing, thick-rimmed glasses, short, spikey haircuts, often longer in the front, and messenger bags decorated with pins.

Of course, this is pretty much all from an outsiders' perspective. I'm sure there's someone else here into scene, or just more literate than I am (lol), who could give a better synopsis?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:50 pm
Many of my friends call me emo... well at least the online friends, I don't hang with my real friend too much... xP I mainly just go to classes and play games and thats it, going out for the occasional movie, etc... anyways, they define me as such through the way I think... I don't wear any of the emo styles, I rarely listen to the music even though I do enjoy it. Oh and I don't cut. Nor will I ever. Total waste of blood and time if you ask me.  

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:43 pm
I've been searching for information about emo for quite some time, and here's the sum of my studies:

You can't be emo.
There is no actual emo subculture.

Emo is an abbreviation for "emotive hardcore" not "emotional". Emotive hardcore was an emotionally driven style of hardcore punk. The genre was first started in the 80's by bands such as Husker Du and Rights of Spring. Modern bands like The Dears and Juliana Theory keep the style going.

What most people consider emo is a fashion style started by teenagers in the late nineties, popularized recently by Hot Topic and pop bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy. The fashion is feminine based, and encourages deep colors and tight-clothes.

In this, real emo has no subculture, but "emos" are followers of the popular fashion labelled as emo. The stereotypes of them being cutters, depressed, suicidal, bisexual, homosexual, etc. comes from the modern "emo" style, rather than from the original scene and it's followers.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:00 pm
Some people say I am emo, some say goth. I do not really care. So what, I think depressing, and sometimes violent, thoughts, I wear strange clothing, ect.? According to others, that is emo. No, it is not. Those people who think that are just preppy fluff-heads who think everything in their world needs to be none depressing and pink, and that people with a different opinion, like me, should be shipped to a sound-proof room with cushions everywhere. Pink, fluffy cushions. I swear, those people hate me.

[the_Lioness]

Al-aaraaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:03 pm
Well, I hate them as much as they hate me.
All of the "Sub-cultures" are just to different to co-exist peacefully.
Like nearly every damn counrty in the world, we are all in an almost perpetual war. And like ALMOST every war it's usually for some dumb reason.
(This wasnt a complete thought, i'm having an off day)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:25 pm
I don't like to clasify my self but i am kindof emo, but really im called almost every negitive stary toype from Anarcist to Witch  

MOD66

Oterys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:34 pm
Well while I can't give a definition per say of 'emo' am not emo myself, I know a few people who have made it a way of life.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:44 pm
GilAskan
I've been searching for information about emo for quite some time, and here's the sum of my studies:

You can't be emo.

To tell the truth one cant be goth ither. To be goth or gothic you would have to have been born hundreds of years ago.  

north_of_nita

3,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

MOD66

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:49 pm
i like the song "Stabby rip stab stab"

sorry i had to  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:03 am
Well, I do cry alot, but that doesn't make me an emo person, it just makes me a crybaby... Um, what other bands are 'emo' sad ?  

+~Luna.Le.Fay~+

The Vampire Persephone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:53 am
north_of_nita
GilAskan

You can't be emo.

To tell the truth one cant be goth ither. To be goth or gothic you would have to have been born hundreds of years ago.

If I may add to this, to be gothic, you would have to be a style of architecture, featuring sharp poined arches, high ceilings, poited rooves and pillars.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:54 am
Twack

sorry i had to

rofl And you couldnt get your hair to do that flippy thing either, like that guy from that band can do?  

The Vampire Persephone

Acerbus nox noctis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:28 am
The Vampire Persephone
Twack

sorry i had to

rofl And you couldnt get your hair to do that flippy thing either, like that guy from that band can do?
I think that the Emo Song has brought all of the stereotypes to everyone's attention, which has caused everyone to think that way about "Emo." Like others have mentioned above, Emo is a type of music and a fashion, but not really a lifestyle in its own respects. Almost all of the traits mentioned above are associated with "Emo", but are not necessarily related to the music.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff