The Veil Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

willowtree
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:43 am
What the heck is behind the damn veil?!? I can't stand the wait any longer!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:14 pm
the whole veil thing confuses me... xp i really want to know what's behind it!!!  

LiamsGirl

ElvenPrincess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:04 am
willowtree
What the heck is behind the damn veil?!? I can't stand the wait any longer!!!

I really want to know what's behind the veil.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:43 pm
LiamsGirl
the whole veil thing confuses me... xp i really want to know what's behind it!!!
Yeah, it confused me too. I don't think it was very well explained.  

Elviondeln
Crew

Alecto

Apocalyptic Raider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:40 am
Maybe it will be explained further in the other books.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:07 pm
Alecto
Maybe it will be explained further in the other books.

Or maybe not. . . Perhaps JKR just wants us to think about it as a metaphor for falling into death, or something. . . sweatdrop orrrrr. . . maybe not. Either way, it really hasn't been explained well enough at ALL. A) Why would falling through an archway, even a mysteriously whispering one, result in death? and, more importantly B) Why on earth is the Department of Mysteries studying this? And why do they have such a thing standing in the middle of a bare room, with no warning signs or anything? I mean, suppose some Unspeakable was walking by it and tripped? I'd like to see how they'd put THAT on a death certificate. "Cause of Death: uhhh. . . ninja He fell through a curtain?" stare ...  

Akali

I am a dumb weeaboo fag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:59 pm
Well in Wiccan beliefs the Veil is the connection between the living and the dead. It is where all of the souls of the dead dwell. I'm guessing since Serius went straight into the veil body and all then that's the reason he won't become a ghost. My best friend is a wiccan she told me all about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:49 pm
Akali
B) Why on earth is the Department of Mysteries studying this? And why do they have such a thing standing in the middle of a bare room, with no warning signs or anything? I mean, suppose some Unspeakable was walking by it and tripped? I'd like to see how they'd put THAT on a death certificate. "Cause of Death: uhhh. . . ninja He fell through a curtain?" stare ...

xd Sorry, that just gave me the funniest visual. I mean, it's not like they could do an autopsy or something, ya know? xd  

Alecto

Apocalyptic Raider

PadfootReturns

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:36 pm
I think she left us hanging in the end about the veil because luna mentions it to harry at the end but she doesn't quite explain it. there are a lot of unexplained things with the department of mysterys (hence the name). she called the room with the veil the death room, so it has something to do with death but we kinda already knew that.
Plus what about that room that was locked and melted sirius's key? whats behind there? she better tell us or i just might spend the rest of my life thinking of theories..  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:50 pm
black_chaos_girl
Well in Wiccan beliefs the Veil is the connection between the living and the dead. It is where all of the souls of the dead dwell. I'm guessing since Serius went straight into the veil body and all then that's the reason he won't become a ghost. My best friend is a wiccan she told me all about it.

yeah, thats what i've heard too, but the harry potter world doesnt always coincide with the wiccan world, and i think it would be helpful if she explained it herself, because 10 year olds cant really be expected to know that, right?

maybe it comes up again in the next book?  

NotorietyJames

willowtree
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:09 pm
NotorietyJames

I'm sure it will. She wouldn't have Luna talking about it at the end, peaking our interest, if it wasn't going to come back. There's just too much unanswered. sad  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:59 pm
NotorietyJames
black_chaos_girl

yeah, thats what i've heard too, but the harry potter world doesnt always coincide with the wiccan world, and i think it would be helpful if she explained it herself, because 10 year olds cant really be expected to know that, right?

Well, in addition, JK seems to take strides to avoid right out wiccan symbols, spells, etc. I think that the series is becoming a Christian Allegory, so it may acutally have something to do with Medieval Christ symbols, and realting to verses in the Bible. I'll do a Bible Gateway search and let you all know what I find.  

Rowena Marion

Rowena Marion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:08 pm
Okay, I ran a search, and in the NIV version of the bible, the word "veil" appears 22 times. It is always refered to in one of the following ways:

1) As a Disguise The veil or what is behinde it is not what it seems to be? totally possible with JK.
2)Hiding something terrible Satan using veils to 'ensnare people'. The veil has trapped those who wander through it?
3)Hiding something wonderful from view A veil over a lover's face, a veil of clouds between God and man, etc. What's behind the veil may be even more wonderous than anyone can imagine. What's to say it's bad for Sirius that he fell through it?

Just something to think on.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:26 pm
There is a collection of books I read at the library called “The Sword of Truth.” In one of the books the main character finds a room just like the one in “Order of the Phoenix.” The Veil was a connection between the world of the living and the under world. When the Veil is touched it consumes the person body and soil. They are not necessarily dead once they reach the under world.... but there is no chance of ever going back.

I think JK mite have read “The Sword of Truth”..... that's my theory anyway. I have another one for what is behind the locked door.... but that’s another story sweatdrop  

Yuurie

ayameroxs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:50 pm
I don't think there's anything behind the veil, I think there's some thing in the veil. Only Luna and Harry could hear the whispers or whatever right? So I'm thinking maybe it's like the Thestral, only the ones who have seen people die can see them, so maybe it's something only Luna and Harry have seen/done that makes them able to hear the whispers or something.  
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff